source: conor nolan

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:31 pm

My mom has been somewhat obsessed with a show called Treehouse Masters about a guy in Seattle who builds giant, elaborate treehouses all over the country. Long story short, I may be staying at a bed & breakfast that he has a share in for a few days some time this summer.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby reallifegirl » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:46 pm

Do you ever have one of those conversations with someone who is a friend and yet you slowly realize that their standards of what is acceptable conversation.

Cut for talk about dead bodies:

Spoiler: show
Me: (puts up social media status about Irish wakes, including a story about how when a relative of mine was buried,
his family members put cans of beer in his casket at the wake because he really loved beer) And I overheard some of his relatives reacting with, "Oh, he would have LOVED this!"

Friend: Umm so will all the bugs that devour your uncle?

Me: I'm fairly certain that's what happens to all dead people

Friend: Not at the speed they’re gonna if he’s covered in beer

Me: I mean, it's not like he's gonna care

Friend: Your relatives might have they see the tidal wave of insects converge on the casket shrieking “free all you can eat buffet!”

Me: yeah i think this is where i need to bail on this conversation

so yeah i feel like one day i need to put a tattoo on my forehead that just plainly states 'I'm really not comfortable with your attempts at wacky humor about my dead family members' because this is something that is apparently a running motif in my goddamned life.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:25 am

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:48 am

I'd like to know the physics behind that paddle wheel waterbike. We could totally make those work. I think.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Absentia » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:35 am

I mean the balloon thing would theoretically work, although I would guess you'd need bigger balloons. The question is why anyone would want to do it.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:53 am

Yesterday, I got a text from someone who got the wrong number, or else someone in Texas gave my phone number as a fake one. Someone named “Troyy” in San Antonio said that I had given them my number. S/he was sorely disappointed to find out I have no idea what they were talking about, and also I’m nowhere near there.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:14 pm

So we now have a preliminary proposal for the new staff structure. Because I'm on a fixed-term contract until the end of May, I always knew my job wasn't 100% secure despite the fantastic impression I've made at work. Due to backfilling of roles, we have two higher-ranked officers assigned to the business support officer role I'm currently working in. Obviously, they aren't going to want to trade down (and we are filling in the top-level roles first), so that's fine, but I would still need to re-apply to work in my exact same role.

I've taken an interest in one of the new officer roles which is the next level up from BSO (and much better paid), and I'm unsure of what the competition is like from budding internal applicants, let alone any external applicants who could still just as easily swipe those jobs (though the only advantage they have is they can lie about their experience). I brought that up in a discussion with my line manager, who said he was actually going to suggest that role to me.

Though I have a good standing with the company, there are no guarantees. I can potentially fall back on the BSO role if my superiors put a word in with HR for me, and I'm not even 100% sure they can do that because they do have to be consistent with applicants. So, I'm going to have to gather all of my good examples and update my CV again. I'm getting help too, as they readily offer interview support, but I've never been good at pulling out and selling my strengths (and sometimes I wonder how I manage through the difficult periods of my job, as I often manage them because I get lucky in some areas).

It's not so much a bad time as an uncertain time. But the fact that my future and ability to live completely independently should hopefully help me kick myself up the arse harder since there's more at stake.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:29 pm

Today I had a meal with some friends of my girlfriend whom I hadn't met before. They're her neighbours, two brothers and their wives, living in a house adjacent to hers. When we met up, they turned out to be tiny. The taller brother was probably somewhere around 160cm and he looked positively statuesque in comparison to the other one and the two women. I felt like Strider guiding the hobbits to Rivendell when I was leading the group up the road through the snow.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:57 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:Yesterday, I got a text from someone who got the wrong number, or else someone in Texas gave my phone number as a fake one. Someone named “Troyy” in San Antonio said that I had given them my number. S/he was sorely disappointed to find out I have no idea what they were talking about, and also I’m nowhere near there.

It was Sellars! All Sellars!!!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:12 am

jbobsully11 wrote:Yesterday, I got a text from someone who got the wrong number, or else someone in Texas gave my phone number as a fake one. Someone named “Troyy” in San Antonio said that I had given them my number. S/he was sorely disappointed to find out I have no idea what they were talking about, and also I’m nowhere near there.

NathanLoiselle wrote:It was Sellars! All Sellars!!!

Troyy prefers zem/zir/zimmer pronouns. And when zem asked if I knew anyone who could hook zir up with a hitman, I suggested the only person I knew in New Jersey.

You're telling me you don't know any hitmen? I should have gone with Tess, she's Italian and her grandfather was in the mob.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:54 am

Sure I know a hitman. Well, knew one. I don't even know if he's still alive.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:23 am

cmsellers wrote:

NathanLoiselle wrote:It was Sellars! All Sellars!!!

Troyy prefers zem/zir/zimmer pronouns. And when zem asked if I knew anyone who could hook zir up with a hitman, I suggested the only person I knew in New Jersey.

You're telling me you don't know any hitmen? I should have gone with Tess, she's Italian and her grandfather was in the mob.

If I knew any hitmen, I’m certain that several people wouldn’t have lists anymore. *waves hi to the NSA*

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 am

I just got back from a weekend in Ohio. While that likely sounds awful to most of you, it's where my family lives, so I have somewhat of a reason to go there. Activities included, watching a home video from 18 years ago (which was kinda traumatizing), buying pounds of Amish-made cheese, taking over half a restaurant with my cousins, shooting videos with my niece, nephew, and their father (my brother), and driving for hours on end.

It was fun, and I need to go back there more often!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:29 am

Not as traumatizing as if it were uploaded to a video based web service? Now embarrassing childhood moments that are only embarrassing in hindsight are available to view for eternity by almost anyone.

Oh and what kind of gun did you shoot the videos with?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext