Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby mancityfooty » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:40 am

the trash compactor at the whatever it is next door sounds like a foghorn when it's this cold out.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby JamishT » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:37 am

It has been 5 hours and at least 2 handwashings since I got some Dave's Insanity hot sauce on my finger.

I just rubbed my eye, AND IT WAS STILL THERE. It was real not fun, but I'm okay now, thanks for your concern.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby mancityfooty » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:01 pm

vinegar.
the apt I had in Lawrence for a year, someone decided to play a prank and sprayed the doorknobs with pepper spray. I rubbed my eye after I had closed the door and locked up. of course I tried the knob to be sure. there was a burning for hours until I got some vinegar in it.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby sunglasses » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:03 pm

I legit got into an argumentative discussion when when Zimbabwe was its own country and when Mugabe came into power.

Short story: I was right.

Long story:

The Zim is in the news, as the military have totally not had a coup per their news reports. Someone on Tom's FB feed talked about how Mugabe helped to "rid Zimbabwe of the shackles of Colonialism and then went power hungry." So, naturally, a loud discussion ensued on when this happened. I had read a mystery novel that took place in Zimbabwe in the 2000s and the one character told the MC about how her (white) family had been chased out in the 80s and went to South Africa. So I had some knowledge of the time period from that.

Tom: "Mugabe is like 90, it had to happen in the 40s/50s"

Me: "No fucking way, Britain was still too busy dealing with a fucking war in the 40s and post war recovery. Plus they weren't forced to give up Rhodesia then."

Tom: "But they had to be trying to get rid of Colonialism then."

Me: "The anti-Colonialism movements didn't get any real teeth or traction til the 70s. MAYBE they started in the 60s, but Zim wasn't it's own country until the early 80s."

*eventually I get on History.com and wikipedia*

Me: "HA! He was a teacher in 1945. He was in jail in the 70s and Zimbabwe was its own country in 1980. ...and then he declared it was an authoritarian country in 1987. But yeah, you're right he is like, 92."

My apologies to anyone who actually was taught anything about African history beyond the dangers of the Cape of Good Hope for trade routes and why we have the Suez Canal. (We also learned about Cape Horn and why we have the Panama Canal at the same time). We really weren't taught much at all about modern African history. Least not in my schools. The most modern we got with African history was a brief skirting of the fact that there were some battles found in North Africa during WWII.

And that was my morning.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Marcuse » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:05 pm

sunglasses wrote:I legit got into an argumentative discussion when when Zimbabwe was its own country and when Mugabe came into power.

Short story: I was right.

Long story:

The Zim is in the news, as the military have totally not had a coup per their news reports. Someone on Tom's FB feed talked about how Mugabe helped to "rid Zimbabwe of the shackles of Colonialism and then went power hungry." So, naturally, a loud discussion ensued on when this happened. I had read a mystery novel that took place in Zimbabwe in the 2000s and the one character told the MC about how her (white) family had been chased out in the 80s and went to South Africa. So I had some knowledge of the time period from that.

Tom: "Mugabe is like 90, it had to happen in the 40s/50s"

Me: "No fucking way, Britain was still too busy dealing with a fucking war in the 40s and post war recovery. Plus they weren't forced to give up Rhodesia then."

Tom: "But they had to be trying to get rid of Colonialism then."

Me: "The anti-Colonialism movements didn't get any real teeth or traction til the 70s. MAYBE they started in the 60s, but Zim wasn't it's own country until the early 80s."

*eventually I get on History.com and wikipedia*

Me: "HA! He was a teacher in 1945. He was in jail in the 70s and Zimbabwe was its own country in 1980. ...and then he declared it was an authoritarian country in 1987. But yeah, you're right he is like, 92."

My apologies to anyone who actually was taught anything about African history beyond the dangers of the Cape of Good Hope for trade routes and why we have the Suez Canal. (We also learned about Cape Horn and why we have the Panama Canal at the same time). We really weren't taught much at all about modern African history. Least not in my schools. The most modern we got with African history was a brief skirting of the fact that there were some battles found in North Africa during WWII.

And that was my morning.

If you want to get African news, BBC pidgin is actually a good source for it. Yes, as much as I giggled at how it was written to begin with, it covers stuff I don't see elsewhere.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Delta Jim » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:44 pm

sunglasses wrote:The Zim is in the news, as the military have totally not had a coup per their news reports.

Relevant:

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby reallifegirl » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:47 pm

Wednesdays at my job are reports days, where we send out data reports to clients. This is a Big Thing, and our clients are very particular about them, and they all need to be checked/ready/sent out by 5pm.

Around 1pm, we got an email from the reports department that said basically "So uh something is wrong with the reports software and a bunch of the reports are wrong/aren't done yet"

Then they updated: "So yeah all of the reports are wrong"

Then they updated: "We're redoing every single one of them"

It's 3:45 and none of them are done yet.

I am bracing myself for the inevitable flood of annoyed phone calls that's about to come when I have to alert basically all of my clients that they're not getting their stuff.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:19 am

5423ebe.jpg
5423ebe.jpg (83.2 KiB) Viewed 4859 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Words containing "meow":

Meow
Meows
Meowed
Meowing
Homeowner

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby sunglasses » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:14 pm

39 years ago today, the Star Wars Holiday Special premiered.

We've been trying to forget it ever since.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby PSTN » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:07 pm

sunglasses wrote:I had read a mystery novel that took place in Zimbabwe in the 2000s and the one character told the MC about how her (white) family had been chased out in the 80s and went to South Africa. So I had some knowledge of the time period from that.

Did that book happen to be The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm?

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:23 pm

sunglasses wrote:39 years ago today, the Star Wars Holiday Special premiered.

Chewbacca's son was called Lumpy?

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:19 am

BROWNRECLUSE wrote:
sunglasses wrote:39 years ago today, the Star Wars Holiday Special premiered.

Chewbacca's son was called Lumpy?

Spoiler: show

The Legends canon books had him named as "Lumpawaroo" which was abbreviated to "Lumpy" for short.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 am

Screenshot_20171119-184307.jpg
Screenshot_20171119-184307.jpg (474.59 KiB) Viewed 4668 times

Guess I need a new favorite Ninja Turtle now...

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:16 am

I have a pair of sweat pants that I wear around the house because it's cold and they're comfy. The other night, I went to take them off for my turn with Bert's mom and then remembered I needed to do something, so I walked with them half off, sagging like I was trying to be cool.

It was remarkably comfortable. My immediate thought was "Oh no!", and I felt like I had discovered a weird new fetish that I knew was watchlist-level weird. I haven't done it for more than a second or two since.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

PreviousNext