Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby Krashlia » Sun May 19, 2019 10:47 pm

iMURDAu wrote: My wife picked up her phone and the screen had a fine cover of yellow-green dust.

(Gingerly removes glasses, shakes head)

You need to start asking questions. Has your spouse been spending an unusal amount of time with trees lately?

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Tue May 21, 2019 11:52 pm

I hate that "sorcerer" is the correct spelling of the word. It really should be "sorceror", like "emperor". It looks more grandiose.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Wed May 22, 2019 12:54 am

EMPEROR!!!!! Maybe that is why I, too, have been feeling the same way for so long. I really thought this was one of these Mandela Effect things where I had somehow been teleported into a parallel universe where everyone spells sorceror wrong and refused to admit to it.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby JamishT » Wed May 22, 2019 6:25 am

I had lobster for the first time today. It was a hot lobster roll at a seaside restaurant in Gloucester, Massachusetts, and it was...fine. It wasn't gross, nor was it mind blowingly delicious. It was just fine.

It was expensive though!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Wed May 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Technically, to pattern-match "emperor," it should be "serceror." Which sounds a lot like it could be "circeror," and reference the famous Greek enchantress.

Also, Jamish, something else I thought of which you might or might not enjoy: Lowell National Historic Park.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Krashlia » Wed May 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Thing I made last year, that I just decided to shill.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed May 22, 2019 8:36 pm

Have a doctor's appointment on Monday because he's lonely and wants to see me. I don't have the heart to tell him that he's smothering me.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri May 24, 2019 1:50 am

I keep seeing 40 min-1 hr videos in my YouTube recommended feed, and I don't watch videos of that length on YouTube, which suggests this is because other people are watching those videos.

These are mostly explainer type videos, which I do watch sometimes, but mostly only when it's under ten minutes. I can't imagine watching a 40 minute video on something I could just google unless there's really nice visuals, which YouTube isn't exactly known for. I generally even skip videos over 25 minutes when people I'm subbed to do them, because they're usually Q&A videos. I also get recs for really long discussions of pop culture stuff, which is even more surprising to me.

So I guess I'm wondering: who are the people who watch these premium-cable-length explainer/pop culture review videos, and why?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby CarrieVS » Fri May 24, 2019 9:04 am

cmsellers wrote:So I guess I'm wondering: who are the people who watch these premium-cable-length explainer/pop culture review videos, and why?

The same reason I watch documentaries on TV, more or less.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby JamishT » Sat May 25, 2019 7:27 pm

cmsellers wrote:So I guess I'm wondering: who are the people who watch these premium-cable-length explainer/pop culture review videos, and why?

I can't think of one I've seen, but I can imagine if I see a video about a topic I'm curious/confused about I may watch it if it seems trustworthy regardless of the length. Some people don't vet the videos they watch, and YouTube seems to push longer videos, so a lot of those videos are likely trash.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Marcuse » Sat May 25, 2019 9:38 pm

I watch (and prefer) longer videos to short. I will caveat that by saying I prefer longer videos in the same way one prefers podcasts; as something to listen to while you do something else. Many movie reviews and analyses are obliged to use nothing more than trailer material as visual content, lest their work be monetised by a predatory company looking to punish copyright infringement on a review. As such many reviews have pointless visuals while the spoken content is interesting. If I'm playing a game, I don't want to have to switch out every ten minutes to choose a new video, so I watch overlong analysis vids and in depth discussion vids while I game. Additionally, what you hear in short videos tends to be only the bare surface of a subject, unless the person speaking is really special. In my experience I'd rather hear what someone who's really passionate about a subject and takes a long time to discuss it than someone doing a quick summary hoping for the YouTube $$$s.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Sat May 25, 2019 10:53 pm

For some reason, i find stories in which some odd character or player warps the world around them in order to achieve some by-product hilarious.

Sci-fi Annunaki screwing over humanity and the biosphere just to get some gold? Why, they must be smelting some comedy awards with that.

Silence influencing humans up to the Cold War and Space Race, creating a tense geopolitical situation, several political scandals, on top of thousands of years of human suffering just for a Space Suit? How was *that* not the punchline?

Russia adopting communism as a means to secure buffer states west and south of them? Genius.

Thanos murdering the universe just to get between deaths legs? Gut buster.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Sun May 26, 2019 7:58 am

We went an entire week without anyone posting in CASS

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed May 29, 2019 12:13 pm

Two days ago we noticed a duck in our neighbors yard. I know right, hold on tight for this thrill ride of a story. It didn't move for like 3 hours so we figured it was hurt. Possibly hit by a car since it was not very far from the road. At the end of the night it had moved towards the edge of our driveway but by yesterday morning it had taken shelter under a tree by the neighbors house.

So we just called a wildlife expert and they did their thing. Which is to say they are too busy to come get it and could we bring it to them. An hour and a half away in one direction. I mean sure all we needed to do was sneak up on it from behind and throw a blanket on it and put it in a box because we've got blankets to spare and duck sized boxes just laying about. Every wildlife expert had the same recommendation of bringing it to them and they are all much closer to D.C. and Baltimore than us so an hour drive minimum. From what the neighbors said they had similar results in their attempts to get a professional involved.

We got to fuck it mode and called the humane society even though we were pretty sure they were just going to euthanize it. Still better than my elderly neighbors having to remove a dead duck that suffered for days from under their tree. Or them asking me to do it. The humane society doesn't have a waterfowl license so they declined to assist. Then I got this idea of starting a bird sanctuary around here but really more the idea of someone else starting it for my convenience at that particular moment.

I took it a bucket of water before 1 pm because yesterday was the first 90 degree day here. I felt like if it died it wouldn't be from nobody assisting it with hydration so there my conscience is clean. Then just before I put my son to bed we went outside to water the flowers and check on the duck. It was gone. No sign of it. I'm assuming whatever problem it had healed enough for it to fly away.

tl;dr: A duck was in my neighbors yard because it was hurt then it eventually left.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:16 am

My car keys fell out of my pants in my locker when I got changed for work, and I didn’t notice until I got outside at the end of the day. All the doors were locked from the outside by then, but luckily there were a few people inside who let me in. I fully expect to be made fun of tomorrow.

But I worked an extra four hours today, so that’s nice.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

PreviousNext