Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:50 am

JamishT wrote:Taylor Swift posted a new video, and naturally I...got it into my editing program without actually watching it. I got 14 GIFs out of it, which is nice.

Spoiler: show

I count one GIF, you got 13 more to post.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby JamishT » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:00 am

DoglovingJim wrote:I count one GIF, you got 13 more to post.

Well alright then!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 am

JamishT wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:I count one GIF, you got 13 more to post.

Well alright then!

So... How do you feel now that we can all bask in the radiance of Miss Swift? Feel good?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby JamishT » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:19 pm

That combined with a good night's sleep makes me feel pretty swell

I didn't make this one

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Jamish: if Taylor Swift ever turns up missing, I'm giving the police your name. I hope you understand.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:08 am

Behold the pterosaur Nyctosaurus.

A few points to note:

- We have more than one fossil skull with a crest like that, so it's not some bizarrely deformed individual. They really did look like that.
- That crest is half a metre long, the length of the body being just over a foot.
- It's been suggested that the prongs supported a membrane, either for display or for aerodynamic purposes, which to my mind at least would make it look a little less odd. A little. But the fossil evidence is very much against that.
- Yes, that damned thing flew. It may well have done little else, somewhat like swifts today. Pterosaurs couldn't walk on their hind legs, and while many were surprisingly agile quadrupeds, this pterosaur - uniquely - had lost all the digits on its forelimbs except for the one that supports the wing, so we can pretty well infer that it wasn't so comfortable on the ground.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:46 pm

I had a job interview today. It was scheduled for 4, but moved to 4:30 at the last minute. I don’t think it went well; even though the job specifically said entry-level, my interviewers seemed to expect me to have some experience (also they were asking me to estimate how long it would take to draw up sketches in programs I haven’t worked with in years, so I basically said anywhere from two hours to a week). But the fact that the whole thing took about two hours is likely a sign that either I did well, or was interviewed by sadists. They talked about possibly having me do a working interview, which means that either I did better than I thought, or (see second option above). This might disappoint me more, except...

On Saturday, I got an e-mail from a guy who wants to hire me as a math tutor for his company (mostly for K-12), and the rate he quoted was almost double what I've been hoping to make. The place is only a few minutes away, and he said the hours were flexible, which is either really awesome, or code for "not more than ten hours per week, but whenever you want them." Anyway, I'm meeting with him tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by jbobsully11 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby JamishT » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:00 am

Today was a good day in the adventures of the very single JamishT. I've been going to the Firehouse Subs in the mall where I work way more than usual (or should, according to my bank account), because I am a huge dork and find one of the newest employees there to be quite attractive. I keep on giving myself flimsy excuses to go there, but let's be real, it's really just to see her or "celebrate" pay day.

Anyway, today we had a short but actual factual conversation, and it was great. I would put this in "Things That Are Good", but I know it's likely such a small thing and won't actually go anywhere beyond friendly conversation.

I should just trim my beard so it's only on my neck and buy a trilby.

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:35 am

JamishT wrote:I should just trim my beard so it's only on my neck and buy a trilby.

Don't be silly. You respect women, believe in Jesus, and understand that a trilby is not a fedora. You will never be a proper neckbeard.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby RatElemental » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:40 am

Am I alone in thinking trilbies actually look kinda nice, or have stereotypical neckbeards ruined them forever for everyone else?

Only semi-related, but any fans of Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw will be happy to know (if you don't already) that he's had a series of horror games out for years now starring a gentleman thief whose calling card is a sketch of a trilby. It's actually fairly good, in my opinion.

You just started to
Read the Haiku that you have
Just finished reading
RatElemental
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Tuli » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:34 am

I applied to work in a leather studio and they held a small workshop for prospective employees. We made a small card holder. Results will be known by the end of the week at the earliest so I'm going to be in limbo until then... but it was really interesting. Also the first time I got to use a sewing machine on leather, it didn't go that smooth at first. :lol: I know I don't have much experience in the field, so I'm trying to keep my hopes low... but it's hard because everyone seemed really nice, you get to decide your own hours, and the work is something I'm actually interested in. Sooo I've still got the jitters hoping against all hope, while trying to stay realistic. AGHHH

Another plus: I would get to call myself an apprentice leatherworker.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:37 pm

Have you ever tried to look up a particular nature related video on youtube? If so, you've probably seen the comment sections, which are hilarious. Most people are merely inane and unfunny, but you get a few who are crazy. They range from armchair directors/cameramen, to weirdly militant vegans and earth first types, to conspiracy theorists claiming that everything is secretly staged or computer generated as part of a devious ploy by "National Jew-ographic".

I never did find the video I was looking for, but it was an enjoyable quarter of an hour nonetheless.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:11 pm

Yesterday, I wrote:On Saturday, I got an e-mail from a guy who wants to hire me as a math tutor for his company (mostly for K-12), and the rate he quoted was almost double what I've been hoping to make. The place is only a few minutes away, and he said the hours were flexible, which is either really awesome, or code for "not more than ten hours per week, but whenever you want them." Anyway, I'm meeting with him tomorrow afternoon.

The interview went really well, and I’ll be starting on a trial basis some time next week.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:41 pm

So The Atlantic used to have one of the best comment sections on the internet. This is despite the fact that they use Disqus, which is an absolutely terrible commenting platform. The design of Disqus means that if two people get into a flame war under the top comment, it takes forever to find productive comments.

Years ago, Ta Nehisi Coates had initially encouraged good comments in his articles, before getting sick of trolls and shutting off comments in his articles. The head editor did the same. Coates was an interesting enough writer that I usually read his articles, but I tended to skip the head editor's pieces when I saw the byline, since he often said stupid things and I'd realize there was no one to call him out in the comments.

Then a couple months ago, the whole site did away with comments, in favor of a curated "letters" section. I realized that since that time, I basically haven't read The Atlantic. It seems that big part of the appeal to me was that if The Atlantic had an article saying something stupid, I could scroll down to the comments and be reassured by people pointing that out. Now that's gone.

I also realized that I stopped reading The Daily Beast years ago when it did away with what was, again, an above-average comment section. And of course somewong ruined Cracked's comments section. The only website I know of remaining with a decent comment section is FiveThirtyEight, and they use Facebook as a platform (better than Disqus but still not good) and don't delete obvious spam, which suggests that team there doesn't even look at their comments section.

What is it with website who have decent comments sections deciding that comments sections are worthless and then setting out to make it true?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:27 pm

PlaystationLifestyle has a good comment section if you don't mind that it's generally playstation based.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext