Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:27 pm

That's not it. There should be a "boot order" and that is what you want. It should list USB as USB.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:58 pm

Apparently the 47th time was the charm; Windows 10 is now installed (I think). Now I just have to wait half an hour to put all my old stuff back on my flash drive, and I can move it back to the computer.

Several days later update: Somehow, even though the folders copied onto my flash drive, they’re mostly showing as empty on my computer. Which either means I lost several years‘ worth of stuff (I can’t find the copied folder on the computer, not that I’ve had much time to look), or I’m an idiot. I’m hoping for the latter.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:04 am

So, ever since I got my new computer, Firefox has been refreshing itself without my consent, or going backwards or forwards of its own accord, or popping up to the search bar and it was driving me insane. The first suggestion I found was to disable quantum refresh, which I did to no effect. The next suggestion was to disable my extensions, and no, you fuckers, the extensions are the entire fucking reason I use Firefox.

When I remembered, I would write long posts in text files, but I'd still often lose shorter stuff, and I recently lost a survey when I was almost finished it out, and had to redo the whole thing in Chrome.

Well, a few days ago I had a clue, when something similar happened on my work laptop, and I realized it had a touch screen I was hitting with my knuckles. Now, I don't have a touch screen, but I do have a new MacBook pro with an extremely obnoxious touch bar designed to replace the top row of keys. Yeah, it's customizable, but I know how to customize my keys anyways, so it's always been a minor nuisance that I keep turning on night mode in the daytime or putting my volume on mute, though I've still kept those options enabled because it's easier than going to the menu. It's a design decision that really pisses me off, and I'm definitely going back to Linux when I replace this computer, because Apple's crappy design philosophy is finally infesting its laptops to an unacceptable degree.

But anyways, it turns out that, by default, Firefox buts back, forward, refresh, search, and I'd been hitting that with my left middle finger because of the way I type. I can't fathom why Firefox thought adding this capability, which presumably only works with MacBooks, and newer ones at that, was a priority, much less why they thought it should be enabled by default. It is truly infuriating design.

However, the good news is that I've now, finally solved this problem after six months of creeping insanity.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:09 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:Apparently the 47th time was the charm; Windows 10 is now installed (I think). Now I just have to wait half an hour to put all my old stuff back on my flash drive, and I can move it back to the computer.

Several days later update: Somehow, even though the folders copied onto my flash drive, they’re mostly showing as empty on my computer. Which either means I lost several years‘ worth of stuff (I can’t find the copied folder on the computer, not that I’ve had much time to look), or I’m an idiot. I’m hoping for the latter.

Plot twist: My copy of Windows 10 was the stupid one, not me. It kept saying I was missing a system folder of some kind, and once I looked up what to do about that (create a new one, apparently; it’s not even a problem if it’s empty), everything came back.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:07 pm

Me: You're stupid
Computer: No, you're stupid.
Me: No, you're stupid.
Computer: No, you're stupid.
Me: No you're stupider.
Computer: Hah! You admitted to being stupid!@
Computer: Stupid human.
Me: Stupid Computer

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:08 pm

I got my hair cut for the first time in a while today. The place I had been going to that’s cheaper is only doing appointments, so I had to go to the (slightly) more expensive barber. It was weird feeling clippers and scissors get moved around my mask.

Oh, and a scratch-off ticket that I bought a few days ago is apparently worthless, even though it looks remarkably like it says I won money. The woman who checked didn’t keep it, so I’m pretty sure she wasn’t lying.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:12 am

This sort of makes me sad, but it's not an annoyance or a rant, so...

In April, I ordered a glass lyrebird from a Russian Etsy seller, just before the Russian post office basically stopped shipping consumer packages internationally for two months.

I'd ordered another item from another Russian seller (which I'm still waiting on), and she'd explained things to me, so I was already aware of this when they reached out and sent me a super-apologetic email. I said, basically "no worries, I understand, it gets here when it gets here."

Well, I got it Tuesday, and it was even more beautiful than in the pictures. I am absolutely thrilled, and left them a five-star review. I also thought I'd see if they have anything else in their store I might want in the future. The storefront is gone, and so is the user behind it. I guess the 'rona destroyed them, which is sad.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:55 am

I finished reading a book (Gillian Flynn’s Dark Places) and watching a TV show (Corner Gas) today, and I found both endings pretty satisfying. I’m expecting the next thing I finish to end horribly somehow.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:36 am

Corner Gas is so underrated!

I am in the process of switching from a nightshift schedule to a day schedule, and I thought I could just stay up as long as I could bear and then sleep for 10+ hours and badaboom badabing, I'm a daywalker! I stayed awake for about 23 hours, falling asleep around 6pm, and woke up at 130am feeling rested and otherwise not able to sleep anymore. Definitely thought I slept for way longer, but whaddya gonna do.

My family/cousins celebrated the 4th of July today, because it's hard to coordinate that many schedules and they don't give one single shit about COVID. They all buy into the hoax/taking away freedom narrative, and as much as I am looking forward to being closer to them, I am dreading having to deal with them on this topic. It's more difficult because I don't know anyone personally that has contracted it, which makes it super hard for me to take it seriously. I have to consistently remind myself that I don't know virology and neither do the people who are saying what I really want to hear. It is easier out here in KC because there are plenty of other people wearing masks and stuff, but IDK how I'll be when I'm in an area where no one is.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:10 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:Oh, and a scratch-off ticket that I bought a few days ago is apparently worthless, even though it looks remarkably like it says I won money. The woman who checked didn’t keep it, so I’m pretty sure she wasn’t lying.

Unless things have changed scratch offs should have a three letter code in the play area. They're spaced out and often out of order but they're there. Codes differ from state to state but generally they're close. For example FIV or FVE would mean you won five, TEN for ten obviously, TWN for twenty and everyone's favorite HUN for hundred. Garbage codes mean you lost.

People hate the way I "play" scratch offs. I rarely buy them anyway but I don't play the game. Why bother? All I do is scratch the prize check qr code and see if it won or not. My scratching doesn't affect the outcome so I don't get on that emotional rollercoaster. I like the numbers. Let me feel like I'm smart for picking RNG.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:22 pm

I don’t have it in front of me, but it says something like, “If this specific spot has some specific symbol, you won something,” and it looks like it has that, but like I said, apparently that means precisely fuckall (screw you, iOS, it is too a word). I’ll add a picture of it if I remember (I won’t remember).

Oh, hey, another “fun” thing: don’t ask me how, but Windows 8.1 seems to have reinstalled itself on my computer. Or else I hallucinated those few weeks where Windows 10 was on there; that’s not impossible.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:32 am

Could you accidentally be in tablet mode? It looks shockingly like Windows 8.1.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:01 am

Not unless that says “Windows 8.1” when you look at the properties (or whatever it’s called) of My Computer.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:12 pm

Huh

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:47 pm

Maybe both are installed and you're dual-booting and the wrong one loads? Although from this link, it looks like you need to partition your hard drive to have two versions of Windows at once, and I suspect you have not done that. But Windows has a setting to choose a Default Operating System, so you could look at that in case that's what's happened. If there are two operating systems listed, you pretty much have to be dual-booting.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

PreviousNext