(reads first paragraph)

...Not again, youtube.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:18 am

Apparently the guy who draws the comic Strange Planet put out a book of comic strips. I saw it in a bookstore this morning, and it's hilarious.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:52 pm

When I was in college, I decided to do Halloween as a mad scientist one year.

I couldn't find anything that resembled a lab coat and fit me in the thrift store, so I ended up wearing a heavy white blouse. The rest of my outfit was yellow rubber gloves and a diving mask, and I think I might have done something to my hair.

Nobody at my school got what I was supposed to be; they were all too fixated on the question of why I was wearing a blouse. (I'm pretty sure they were also all extremely high, not sure if that made a difference.)

Well, this woman decided she wanted a lab coat for her YouTube video and apparently had the same idea I did (first thirty seconds of video), except she didn't even use a heavy blouse.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 pm

I was thinking aimlessly about my own life this morning, as people often do, and how a friend from school once described me as "eccentric" and how that was probably the best word I've ever heard used to describe me as a person (fuck you, girl who called me "intense" five or six years later). But I'm not eccentric! I'm basically fine! If anything, I'm quite dull. But then I remembered a thing that happened once that cmsellers's post has just re-reminded me of: when I was 16 or 17, another kid came to school dressed as a priest for no reason at all. It was just a regular day like any other, and this absolute maniac showed up dressed as Reverend Lovejoy. When challenged by another, more insecure friend who could not handle the bants of wearing a dog collar to school, he responded with, "Why not? [Pedgerow] does weird things all the time and nobody thinks he's strange."

Firstly, I have never dressed as a priest. Not outside, anyway, and certainly not on a completely average schoolday. Secondly, the weird kids always wind up hanging out with each other in every school, and I was friends with a guy who came to school dressed as a priest. He's not even religious! At all! He's full-on edgy Richard Dawkins! So I'm pretty sure people did think I was a little strange, or they would have been my friends instead.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby Krashlia » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:31 am

Awooooooooo~ 567O9!

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:15 am

I started to do my taxes, and it looks like I'll actually owe money this year, for the first time in a while. That's kind of what I was hoping for, in a way; it means I got tiny interest-free loans from the government with every paycheck last year, instead of the other way around. This would be fine, but...

My work is severely cutting back on overtime. They want to only have OT on Saturdays now, which always starts early and (if I was to go in) would mean waking up at around 5 AM after getting home at 11:30 PM the night before. I tried it a few times in the past, and... it generally doesn't work. So while I had been hoping for more money than 40 hours per week would get me, it's probably not going to happen very often anymore. Then again, this came only a few weeks after they said they needed everyone to work lots of OT, so maybe this will also pass.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:06 pm

The only toe I have hair on is my hallux, but the only finger I don't have hair on is my thumb. What's up with that?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:50 pm

This is so dumb I have to share it.

On the bathroom wall at work someone wrote "Trump". Later someone else wrote above it "Dump".

I'm an idiot and wanted to write "Jumps" at the bottom.

Why? A trump jump is from Super Mario Maker. They're incredibly difficult and annoying as hell. It's a one tile shaft you have to jump into that has columns of spikes on either side so if you don't nail the trajectory you die. If you move too far horizontally after entering the gap, you die. In SMM2, it's a pixel perfect trick because Nintendo is odd like that.

But I didn't disagree with the statement as it was so I left it.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby JamishT » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:43 am

Twitter has changed my life in many ways, but the most recent manifestation of that was delivered to my house today. Months ago, I saw my usually politically minded follows all tweeting about bath towels and what kind of towel is best. A guy with the handle @yashar convinced them all that bath sheets are the way to go (I cannot find that tweet, and I need to go to work soon so suck it). Now, I too have gone down that path, for I now have a 40x80 inch towel, and I'm stoked. I haven't even used it yet, the directions said to wash and dry it before first use and it wasn't dry in time tonight, but I'll probably take a shower on my day off tomorrow just to see how it is.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:58 am

I've been using bath sheets ever since I became too fat for regular towels to cover my nudity in the event I need to make an emergency evacuation on account of fire, earthquake, or goat haunting.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:05 pm

My work moved one of the machines we use to another room that I barely even realized existed (you go through one of several doors off the warehouse, in the hallway I walk through on my way to other rooms), so when I went into work early yesterday, I had no idea where anyone was, and the first few people I asked acted like I should have known. I asked one of the first shift line leads, and she didn’t know, either; we had to follow one of the mechanics. So that was fun.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:41 am

One of my parents—or maybe an aunt or family friend, some older adult anyways—used to threaten to "hang [me] by [my] ears" when I was a kid. I always thought that this was a common figure of speech, but googling it turns up only a handful of results, mostly from old books. So I guess maybe it was a common figure of speech once, but hasn't been in like a century.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:40 pm

I changed my name on discord to Beakstore. Blame my kid. It's the name we use on Twitch.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:39 am

I should change mine to 69Dingus69.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:14 pm

Over the past couple of weeks, I have experienced some pretty swift karmic retribution, and it's all down to cycling in bad weather. Heading home from work last Tuesday, it was raining hard, really hard. The rain turned to hail. At this point, I was effectively being pelted with gravel continuously. This must surely have been some of the worst weather I have ever experienced, and it might even have been too terrible to cycle home from work in. Unfortunately, I'd left my magic turn-bike-into-a-comfy-warm-car ray at home, so on I cycled, down a big main road. The visibility was about as you'd expect when having fistfuls of ice thrown directly in your face during a storm in the dark. Most parked cars were parked either up on the pavement, or on their driveways, but some wise old sage had parked right in the middle of this road. I saw his car, and swerved to avoid it, but I did not swerve around it quickly enough and rode into the back of his car. Whoops. Obviously, in a car crash, you'd exchange insurance details, but bikes don't have insurance. So I stood there awkwardly for a bit, in the driving rain. The next thing would be to apologise to the driver, but the car was parked and the driver was at home, presumably, in one of the houses. So I couldn't do that either. I looked at his car, and I had broken his rear reversing light, but otherwise his car was fine and my bike was fine. I guess I could have rung every doorbell on the street, but what then? Give him the money in my wallet? I had about £12 on me. I don't know what it costs to fix a car's light, but it's probably more than that. I'd basically be ringing doorbells, in a famously rough area, offering strangers not enough money to fix a small amount of damage I just did. So I reluctantly just rode home rather than stand in the rain any longer.

I want to make it clear that I really was very considerate, but I totally did a kind-of, sort-of, hit-and-run. And that's bad. Over the next few days, I wondered if I could track the owner down. I got a load of cash out of a cash machine, and even wrote an anonymous letter, made a note of the car's number plate, and wrote it on an envelope so I could leave some money under the windscreen wiper next time I passed that car on my way home. The envelope got wet and disintegrated, and various other excuses happened, and they're not good excuses but the owner of this car never got any money from me.

One week later, I was cycling in to work, in more rain because it's been raining for weeks now, and there's a big roundabout that's an absolute death trap. I've only ever witnessed one crash there, but it often feels perilous, and a couple of times I have had to swerve to avoid buses that pull out without looking to join the road approaching this roundabout. Damn those buses. They straight-up do not give a shit about cyclists. And don't worry; I didn't get run over by a bus as karmic retribution.

I got run over by a van instead. My new bike, which I have been riding for less than two months, had its front wheel bent into obliteration when a van driver T-boned it, but I myself was unhurt and the driver was very apologetic. He drove me the rest of the way to work, and gave me some money to replace the wheel. So it's all good now - depending on what happens when I replace the wheel, of course; I have never had to do this before and I have no idea what a bicycle wheel costs, and if there is more damage to the bike, that will be very frustrating. It was a new bike, after all. I bought it to replace my old one, which was stolen last year from my work. And, you know, it was a close thing. If another car had been overtaking, and if I'd been a couple of seconds earlier, I could have been killed. That would have been much worse than accidentally breaking a headlight. But I wasn't killed, and in the end, this all seems like an odd mirror image in terms of level of catastrophe. Cycling damage happens to someone else due to inclement weather, I go the thoughts-and-prayers route for making amends, and almost exactly one week later, cycling damage happens to me in inclement weather. How utterly spooky.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

PreviousNext