Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Yesterday morning: “From now on, we’ll actually have our own stuff to do; before, our line was just helping out other people, and that’s why we always left so early. All that overtime we talked about in the beginning will happen starting today.” everyone clocks out at 4:30 or later

Today, 12:30 PM: “We’re done for the day. Clean everything up.” everyone clocks out by 1

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby SandTea » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:36 pm

Just found 3 bud light cans on my side of the fence with a neighbor. That is not my nor anyone else's here brand so I just put them back over the fence. I hope I won't have to escalate this trash war but I am considering next level defcon responses. This could turn petty and spiteful quickly and I've only ever been nice to them. Here is hoping I don't have to do anything more than putting their trash back where it came from.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby JamishT » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:12 am

I got invited to play a fan made, online game of Survivor. I made at least a few actual friends and I made it to the merge (the midpoint of the game), but was voted off tonight. I had an immunity idol that no one knew about, but I felt safe enough not to play it, so it was a blindside! I lost out on $15, but it was fun.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:55 am

I just read an article about a book called “P is for Pteradactyl” about words in English whose first letters are silent.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Australia » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:02 pm

And they didn't call it "W is for Written" or even "K is for Know all you knead to about silent letters"? The editors must be idiotors.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby cmsellers » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:08 am

Central Market had the seeds of one of my favorite palm trees (I'm not normally big on palms, but there are a few exceptions) for sale. I wasn't aware you could even get these in the US, so of course I got a bag.

They are fantastic. They taste like an extra oily coconut, and with an extra crunch and chewiness you don't get in coconuts because you can't eat the shell.

Unfortunately, like almost everything at Central Market, they are wicked expensive. They cost $2 an ounce, and will therefore have to be a very rare treat.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Grimstone » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:46 am

phpBB [video]

Spoiler: show
phpBB [video]

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:18 pm

I know a lot of people have had a lot of difficulties today because of the O2 data outage, and I do feel for them. For me personally, it was only a trivial irritation, but as a software developer who does support, my heart really goes out to the O2 and Ericsson IT staff. It cannot have been a fun day for anyone there.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby cmsellers » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:23 am

Austin has so much light pollution that I managed to drive 2.5 miles back from HEB on this dark and rainy night without ever realizing my headlights were completely off.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:52 pm

I started penning some lyrics to 'Take me home, Fury Road' (the John Denver song, if set in the world of Mad Max) and googled it to see if anyone had come up with the same idea before. Annoyingly, someone did, some years ago. I think my version is better, but it took the wind out of my sails.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:05 am

I just got a car insurance quote from a company that has been spamming me for a few years. It would be cheaper than what I have now (per month), but they’re making it sound like I need to pay for a year of coverage up front. I would love to so I wouldn’t have to think about it for a year, but it costs about 1.5x as much money as I have in the bank right now (mostly because I’m broke, not because it’s expensive).

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:38 am

At a Russian state-sponsored event, they unveiled a super-advanced robot built through Russian ingenuity, that could walk, talk and dance.

It turns out it was a man in a robot suit.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:05 am

Until it can drink itself into liver damage while claiming to be a steel-mill worker from Toledo online, it will never replace actual Russians.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:55 pm

In post-soviet era Russia, Vodka drinks you!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:55 pm

I found out today that one of the guys from the temp agency I’m with (they’re not really bosses, since they don’t actually give me any work and aren’t on the floor) doesn’t know who I am. Which is good in a way, because I felt like almost every interaction I’ve had with him has involved me either messing up some kind of paperwork or coming in late that one day when my GPS screwed me over, and now I’m pretty sure he doesn’t hate me.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext