Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby cmsellers » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:16 pm

I had the VPN open because an API I was working with was having issues and I was wondering if it was a server-side caching issue. I just happened to think "I should google for a place that sells cotton shirts in my size" while I was connected. It's always interesting what websites block VPNs; there's no rhyme or reason to it, except that no website that actually wants to make money does it.

Doesn't matter, because I looked later when my VPN was disconnected. Macy's doesn't carry any shirt sizes above XL, and most of what they do carry is at least forty bucks. Guess there's a reason I used to get clothes at Sears and Penny's but never at Macy's.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby cmsellers » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:12 am

I made yogurt gummies. I was sure the yogurt has curdled, so I was very surprised when the texture came out like gumdrops. Not quite gummies, but pretty close.

However the recipe called for salt to taste. The amount of salt I thought tasted good in the raw yogurt tastes rather excessive in the finished product.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:18 am

Last Friday, the guy who got hired the same day as me was fired for disappearing during work and sometimes leaving early. Today, our monogrammed lab coats came in (though no other part of our uniforms, oddly enough).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Pedgerow » Thu May 02, 2019 11:43 pm

Today is local elections day across Her Majesty's United Kingdom, and I have, as always, been looking forward to voting for a leftfield party that represents my views. In the last general election two years ago, I was torn between the lovable Green Party and a trip on Krazy Korbyn's Labour Train, and in the end I voted Green to keep up the diversity of left-wing politics (this was back when everyone loved Jeremy Corbyn and all millennials everywhere were voting for him). Anyway, there was also an even madder left-wing party, the Women's Equality Party. I wished them well, confident that they were so obscure that they would vanish without trace, but you can only vote for one party so they got nothing from me.

Fast forward to today, and I went to vote for my local council, wondering once again what delightful outsiders would pique my interest and fascinate me as deeply as 2017's Women's Equality Party. But the Women's Equality Party were on the ballot again! So I voted for them! I am now, officially, a Women's Equality Party voter! A male one, at that!

Honestly, I feel like such a tool. I wish I'd voted Green. I'm all for abolishing the tampon tax and things like that, but their policies are so wishy-washy and just can't compete with Green things that everyone can enjoy, like trees and bicycles and solar panels and beard combs and ukuleles. When a small percentage of people made protest votes in 2016, the finely-balanced scales were tipped so that Brexit actually won the referendum, despite my subsequent complaining. Have I learnt nothing from the ensuing chaos?

The results will be announced overnight, so in the next 12 hours or so. All I can picture in my head is the Green Party losing by one vote. They'll lose, and the candidate will cry, and the Green Party will be banned from politics forever for being too lame, and it will be all my fault. The Women's Equality Party will romp to a landslide victory, and that'll be great news obviously, but they'll invite me to their celebration party, and cleaning the toilets will be the former Green candidate. He or she will look at me, and they'll know.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby gisambards » Fri May 03, 2019 12:50 am

I completely forgot to vote, but I'm not sure I would have if I had remembered (I should probably have voted Lib Dem though). The problem I have with how council elections work is that surely, far more than with MPs, the person should matter more than the party, but they never campaign along those lines. Personally I wouldn't vote Green for locals even though it feels like this sort of position should be what they're better at, because I find they tend to be as bad as the far-right councilors in terms of being a little too focused on ideals and national politics for a position that really does need to just be about practicality in serving local needs. I'm all for green energy, but I also really need someone to fix all these potholes.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Fri May 03, 2019 9:30 am

I remembered the evening before the elections that there were elections. We had two in our area: an election to the local Council, and the election of a brand new post, the North of Tyne Mayor. Which is part of some kind of North East devolution deal that I hadn't heard about until now.

The Mayoral election seemed like a bigger deal so I spent what time I had researching the candidates for that, and ended up just voting for the party I usually support for the Council. Which I felt bad about, but in the end the party that would have been my second choice won by a huge margin, so I guess it doesn't matter much on this occasion.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby cmsellers » Sat May 04, 2019 9:03 pm

I always thought I didn't like macadamia nuts, but I think I've only ever had them in two contexts: in those Keebler cookies, and enrobed in cheap chocolate composite. Today I decided to try them plain, and macadamia nuts are actually delicious; I just don't like cheap-ass junk food. I don't get why it's so popular to use such an expensive nut in such low-quality food.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun May 05, 2019 3:15 pm

Perception playing a part in setting a price.

Keebler shaves some macadamia into their cookie dough and charges premium prices. Just like how they'll cover Oreo cookies or Ritz crackers in "fudge" and charge a dollar more for a smaller package.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Krashlia » Mon May 06, 2019 3:01 am

Totally disregard the fact that Ben Shapiro is married, and AOC is in a relationship.
We need more fan-fiction of politicians and activists getting it on with each other. These people need to know that they represent a population of total creeps who are waiting for them all to get it on, and watch every minute of it, or at least fantasize it if our demands aren't met to our satisfaction.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon May 06, 2019 3:30 am

What I want to know is how on earth you identified them as AOC and Ben Shapiro? Even with the names, I had no idea.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Mon May 06, 2019 3:43 am

Well, I didn't draw it. But, you know, one of them is tan with long hair, and the other has the hair...

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Mon May 06, 2019 4:48 pm

That image is probably supposed to be ironic. There seems to be a running joke among liberal groups on the internet that Ben Shapiro's apparent obsession with AOC is romantically motivated.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Mon May 06, 2019 6:55 pm

I've heard of it and had argued with some people (online) about that. So, though I don't really like the idea (Ben is a married man, and I'm saw the idea as an attempt at character assassination), I find it kind of amusing otherwise.

But I am partial to the idea that more people than one thinks are into it, including the people claiming that its the other side that wants to.
Everyone is projecting on to each other as a deflection of what they really want, and what they really want is a piece of AOC.

Also, Trump has an unrequieted crush on Nancy Pelosi.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Mon May 06, 2019 7:47 pm

I think you're reading too much into a joke. He went through a phase of talking about her a lot on Twitter that was pretty out of balance to how important she actually is, and she's fairly attractive, so it's an obvious joke that was going to come out of that situation. It's hardly "character assassination", and it seems a bit defensive that you'd try and make it out as a sex thing on the part of the people making the joke.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon May 06, 2019 8:28 pm

AOC is attractive? Are politicians allowed to be attractive? When did this happen?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext