Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby JamishT » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:43 am

In the "New Releases" section of Google Play Music, there is an album called "Ultimate Christmas" by...Frank Sinatra.

OH BABY YOU KNOW I'M LISTENING TO IT! IT'S FRICKIN' CHRISTMAS TIME WHENEVER I WANT IT TO BE!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:39 am

I'm off from work tomorrow... so I can catch up on all the reports I haven't submitted yet.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby reallifegirl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:56 pm

My car (or, rather, "Car that was under my name on the lease but that was really mainly used by my sister after I moved to the city") has been returned to the dealer because the lease is up. Au revoir, Vicky the Civic. You endured many an in-car radio-sing-a-long karaoke session from me.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:17 am

I finally got the results of my sleep test, which I have been trying to get done for years. The good news is I don't have sleep apnea. The bad news is, I have what they call periodic limb movements in sleep. I kick around an average of 38 times per hour in my sleep. I wake myself up with my own kicks 8 times per hour. So my sleep quality could obviously be improved. Apparently this is a symptom of low iron, so they tested my blood and it turned out I have a big iron deficiency also. So now I'm taking iron pills as well as a drug that supposed to prevent me from kicking in my sleep. Hopefully this explains why I'm so fucking tired all the time.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:59 am

Check to see if you got low calcium. I was kicking until they figured out that my calcium was low. So now I'm on calcium pills. Could I say calcium anymore? Calcium, calcium, calcium. Apparently yes, I can.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby PSTN » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 am

I think I've mentioned here before that I like to listen to audiobooks while I'm at work, since I drive for a living and there's only so many times I can hear the same Taylor Swift song before I kill someone.

Anyway, I'm currently listening to the "Canada Reads" 2016 finalist, and debut novel from Tracy Lindberg: Birdie. It's a good book and all, dealing with things like sexual abuse, mental illness, poverty, racism towards natives in Canada, etc. There's just one problem with it; most of the book is set in a fictional reserve that a pretty obvious stand-in for a real reserve about 80 km from where I live. The book makes several references to local places and features, and mentions Grande Prairie by name a few times, accurately describing the local geography as it was in the 90's and 2000's.

The reason this is an issue is that the person they hired to read the book is American, and obviously not even passingly familiar with northern Alberta, or even Canada in general. She keeps pronouncing everything wrong, like saying "Grande Prairie" with this faux french accent, and "Beaverlodge" as two distinct words. She also mispronounces "toque", "Falher", "La Glace", "Wanham", and --somehow-- "Valhalla" (Is "Valhalla" not a common enough word that you should just know it?). Also, also, I can't really speak too much to this one since I don't speak Cree, but of the few words I do know, she completely mangles them, and over-pronounces the words and puts too much emphasis on sounds like "Kh" (like the 'ch' in the german 'Ich'). Whereas, it's obvious from context (and I know from experience with native friends) that these words would be pronounced in a fairly anglicised way, since the characters are speaking english and just peppering it with Cree words.

It's nothing more than mildly annoying, but I really wish that they could have gotten either the author herself to read the audiobook, or at least reviewed the first chapter after it had been read to catch these mistakes.

I'm sure this happens to other people here all the time (I can only imagine RLG yelling at her TV "like fuck can you make it from Staten Island to the Bronx in twenty minutes at five o'clock on a Tuesday!"), but this is the only book I've read set in my area, and it's a little jarring to me.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby JamishT » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 am

PSTN wrote:I think I've mentioned here before that I like to listen to audiobooks while I'm at work, since I drive for a living and there's only so many times I can hear the same Taylor Swift song before I kill someone.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Grimstone » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:04 am

phpBB [video]

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Marcuse » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:07 am

Grimstone wrote:
phpBB [video]

That's a disgusting way to treat a child. I feel sorry for that poor boy.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:54 am

Marcuse wrote:That's a disgusting way to treat a child. I feel sorry for that poor boy.

Your parents never scared you on/around halloween? Let you watch horror films, or go to haunted houses, etc?

Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Grimstone wrote:
Marcuse wrote:That's a disgusting way to treat a child. I feel sorry for that poor boy.

Your parents never scared you on/around halloween? Let you watch horror films, or go to haunted houses, etc?

You know what you signed up for with a horror film or haunted house. It's not a prank.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Marcuse » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:24 pm

Tesseracts wrote:
Grimstone wrote:

You know what you signed up for with a horror film or haunted house. It's not a prank.

Firstly Grim, no they didn't. I wouldn't have liked it if they had, and I'm glad they didn't.

Secondly Tess is absolutely right that there's a marked difference between choosing to go to something scary, and being shown something you think is nice and it suddenly becomes scary. That shit is why kids that age have nightmares and I don't see why a stupid prank is worth making a child question whether their parents are safe or not.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Marcuse wrote:That shit is why kids that age have nightmares and I don't see why a stupid prank is worth making a child question whether their parents are safe or not.

STORY TIME!

My Dad did something similar when I was a bit older. He had his arm (up to his shoulder) in a hole that had appeared in the wall (old ass house) and was reaching in to remove toys the kids had thrown in there. I was next to him, collecting the toys. He started screaming and fighting against the wall screaming, "OMG, KRIS, HELP ME SOMETHING HAS ME!"

It wasn't remotely funny.

I was trying to pull him away from the wall, screaming and crying, because I thought something really had him.

And yes, I did watch horror films and like even as a kid but I knew the films were fake.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Grimstone » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:59 am

And yes, I did watch horror films and like even as a kid but I knew the films were fake.

I was trying to pull him away from the wall ..because I thought something really had him.

Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:50 am

I bought some of those strips you put on your nose to pull gunk out of your pores. I'm not really sure why I decided to do this other than that I suddenly remembered how much I liked doing it as a teenager. And amazingly, despite not having acne, I still have gunk in my pores. I got several clogs out but I'm pretty sure now looking at my nose that there's a lot more in there. The instructions say not to do more than one every three days, but I suspect I'll do one every few hours until I stop getting gunk on the strips. I may get actual acne or something as a result, but it's just sooo satisfying.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

PreviousNext