Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:50 am

Oh man, we still have a $10 gift certificate to the pizza place we used to go to bar trivia at. Man, we won first place for weeks in a row! And then we went to the finals and holy cow, those questions were hard. But we also brought along another family who are purportedly smart, yet they actually threw us on some questions (I had the right answer in mind, but they talked me out of it). Needless to say, we don't associate with those people anymore.

I'm just kidding, I mean we don't, but it's actually just sort of an accident, not because of beef

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:02 am

Apparently my school's career website thinks I'd be a perfect fit for a bunch of jobs that have nothing to do with my degree. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby PSTN » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:51 am

jbobsully11 wrote:Apparently my school's career website thinks I'd be a perfect fit for a bunch of jobs that have nothing to do with my degree. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I hate aptitude tests. They never have options for the cool jobs, like caveman, or mech pilot.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby octoberpumpkin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:10 am

Realizing how much time has gone by since I last saw one of the best friends I've ever had on a regular basis. She's stayed the same in some ways but she's really changed in others and it's weird, you know? It's just weird to think it's already been 11 years and the rail thin girl with the unremarkable hair who hated boys and never wore makeup now makes facebook posts full of pictures of her trying out new looks. New haircuts, colours, makeup types. She has a boyfriend, a job, a social life, takes vacations. And it feels like not that long ago we would sit on the bus together making jokes, or go on bus rides together. I've been through so much since then but it feels like it wasn't very long ago at all. Just an odd feeling

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby Phighter » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:56 am

Today I got offered a gift at work, which is a big no-no, and I accepted it.

This lady and her husband came in for a furniture set fifteen minutes before close, and after ordering everything online while in the store (you have to order online for online prices, people, stop coming in the store and thinking the price will match - IT WILL NOT, you can pick it up at the online price in-store but don't waste your time and mine), we managed to get everything in her car, helping her old husband, in twenty minutes. We even had to take it all out of the box it came in to get it in her car, which was kind of amusing to me.

She then turned to her husband and they looked at each other, and she tried to give me and the guy I was working with money, but she was only talking to me. I said, "We're not allowed", and turned to look back at him, and then she stuck it in my hand. She then walked away before I could give it back, so I stuck it in my pocket.

When we got into the back area, my partner said absolutely nothing about the money. I looked over how much she gave - $6, a five and a one, which is weird because that's not equal - I did more work but it would have made a hell of a lot more sense for her to give us either $2 or $10. My shift was over, then, so I went up and clocked out, and left with the money.

I ended up buying wings and soda with the $6 (plus ten more), and I don't know how to feel about it. On one hand, I could get fired, but I highly doubt the company I work for will ever see this post (yes, it would be ironic now that I've said that) - and I kind of feel like a choir boy about this, like who gives a shit, it's six bucks. But then I think about the policy, and I'm wary about stuff like, did they see me on film (it was in front of the store, but in the darkest part of the time we're open), and would they fire me over six measly dollars? Is my partner going to rat me out for not giving him any? Or is this one of those rules that's in the rulebook but you take someone aside and go, "If I didn't see it, it didn't happen" kind of thing?

The food was really good, but looking back at it, I do feel a tad on the guilty side. But then again - the store pays me $7.25 an hour. That's getting paid 49 minutes extra than what I'm getting paid, and it was money in my hand instead of direct deposit. Money in hand is real money, people - not shit magically accumulated in the bank waiting for me to get it out. I was actually supposed to get paid today for the first time and the money hasn't been deposited in my account yet, and it's 4 hours into tomorrow, now.

I've written more about this than I ever will care to admit. I haven't told my parents (god, how young am I being right now) because I don't wanna get them pissed off at me.

Also who am I, that I can be bought out for six bucks?

Phighter
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: King of Puns

Postby Andropov4 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:02 am

Dude, lady tipped you a few bucks. It's nothing to get worked up about. Odds are, nobody will ever see the tape from the camera that was watching you, and it'll end up being deleted. And your coworker probably isn't going to rat you out. Odds are, they don't care about the corporate policy, and unless you've really pissed them off, they don't have a good reason to want you to go down.

There's nothing wrong with accepting a little gratuity, especially not when you're making minimum wage.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby Suckerfish » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:25 am

Phighter wrote:Today I got offered a gift at work, which is a big no-no, and I accepted it.

This lady and her husband came in for a furniture set fifteen minutes before close, and after ordering everything online while in the store (you have to order online for online prices, people, stop coming in the store and thinking the price will match - IT WILL NOT, you can pick it up at the online price in-store but don't waste your time and mine), we managed to get everything in her car, helping her old husband, in twenty minutes. We even had to take it all out of the box it came in to get it in her car, which was kind of amusing to me.

She then turned to her husband and they looked at each other, and she tried to give me and the guy I was working with money, but she was only talking to me. I said, "We're not allowed", and turned to look back at him, and then she stuck it in my hand. She then walked away before I could give it back, so I stuck it in my pocket.

When we got into the back area, my partner said absolutely nothing about the money. I looked over how much she gave - $6, a five and a one, which is weird because that's not equal - I did more work but it would have made a hell of a lot more sense for her to give us either $2 or $10. My shift was over, then, so I went up and clocked out, and left with the money.

I ended up buying wings and soda with the $6 (plus ten more), and I don't know how to feel about it. On one hand, I could get fired, but I highly doubt the company I work for will ever see this post (yes, it would be ironic now that I've said that) - and I kind of feel like a choir boy about this, like who gives a shit, it's six bucks. But then I think about the policy, and I'm wary about stuff like, did they see me on film (it was in front of the store, but in the darkest part of the time we're open), and would they fire me over six measly dollars? Is my partner going to rat me out for not giving him any? Or is this one of those rules that's in the rulebook but you take someone aside and go, "If I didn't see it, it didn't happen" kind of thing?

The food was really good, but looking back at it, I do feel a tad on the guilty side. But then again - the store pays me $7.25 an hour. That's getting paid 49 minutes extra than what I'm getting paid, and it was money in my hand instead of direct deposit. Money in hand is real money, people - not shit magically accumulated in the bank waiting for me to get it out. I was actually supposed to get paid today for the first time and the money hasn't been deposited in my account yet, and it's 4 hours into tomorrow, now.

I've written more about this than I ever will care to admit. I haven't told my parents (god, how young am I being right now) because I don't wanna get them pissed off at me.

Also who am I, that I can be bought out for six bucks?

Not a big deal bud, most companies "no tipping" policies aren't heavily enforced anyway, and even if they are, arguing with a customer about it is much worse than just taking it. In the future, politely refuse once, and then if they insist, you accept it, and graciously thank them. Let those hot wings rest easy in your stomach.

Try to remember that they thought that your service was so exemplary it deserved money on top of your normal wage, which is a good thing.

Warning: The text above is probably misspelled, grammatically incorrect, and morally bankrupt. Reader discretion is advised. This is not a test. By reading this signature you waive your right to participate in a class action lawsuit.
Suckerfish
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: That Other Guy

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:33 am

Dude, funny you should mention that, because yesterday I went to haul away a built in fridge, something to the tune of five hundred pounds and about eighty four inches tall. We had another guy meeting us there, but he and my helper couldn't tip the top low enough on the dolly to clear the doorways. There's a good chance the house was built around that fridge, but I digress. A fourth guy had to come out, and the four of us grunted it out of this insanely nice home. Well the son of the homeowner gave all four of us twenty bucks each.

I just found out, from the quality control lady following us today (long story short nobody can be trusted, at least not if you manage the store we deliver for), that we aren't supposed to accept tips. Why she even said she's had to FIRE installers for taking tips. First off... why. I can understand if you work in retail, because it could skew close to a bribe or something, like trying to get a hefty discount. But if I'm heaving a fridge into someone's basement and dude says, "Tonight the beer's on me, guys," then yes, I'll gladly take his money. The way salary works out, I get paid LESS than minimum wage most days. Second, what am I supposed to do, fight the customer on it? In their house? With no one from corporate around to fight for me? Third, when I was training, people would drop tips on the trainer and me, and he said not word one about it. I could have feigned ignorance the whole time if it had ever come to that, and dishonest as it may be I still might, because I really don't see why anyone would make such a rule, except to be a dick.

What really gets me is that the company that makes this rule DOESN'T EVEN WRITE MY CHECKS. See, there's the store, and then they hire out a third party contract, who then contracts the actual labor to do the job. It's... sort of really backwards. Point is, they can fire me but they aren't even paying me, the labor contractor is. In fact the new contract I'm supposed to take over* isn't even that company's, it's the labor contractor's contract. I'll be glad to put those jokers behind me.

My point in all this is that if you didn't ask for the tip, which believe it or not my old helper had the audacity to do once, you can't control what other people do. Although I personally would have found a way to split the tip with the other guy, I think taking it in general is one of those things that was sort of foisted upon you. At least that's your story and you're sticking to it.

*By the way, sorry to make this even more ranty, but the other day the new guy who was supposed to replace me was with me, driving, when we went on the Air Force base. At the checkpoint there we discovered that his effing license had been suspended. He was lucky as shit the citation warrant wasn't issued until the following day, or he'd have been detained right there on base. Apparently he'd gotten a speeding ticket, not a huge one but still. When I asked him why he didn't pay it he said, "Pshh, I don't have that kind of money." Like... Are you for effing real? Did he think it would just disappear if he believed hard enough? So the fun thing is, even if my helper hadn't gotten his dumb ass fired for being racist, I'd STILL be stuck at this job until the 15th, when Junior over here finally gets paid and can reinstate his license. I know it's terrible but I'm sort of hoping he does have to go to jail, because I might get a day off out of it.

Do you see how mean this job is making me? What is happening to the balance of the Universe?

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:09 pm

PSTN wrote:
jbobsully11 wrote:Apparently my school's career website thinks I'd be a perfect fit for a bunch of jobs that have nothing to do with my degree. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I hate aptitude tests. They never have options for the cool jobs, like caveman, or mech pilot.

It wasn't even an aptitude test, though. Their career page shows jobs that match my profile, which I thought was based on my degree as much as the other stuff on my resume (which, to be fair, does list some things close to what those companies are looking for, but they shouldn't come up as a 100% match).

And those Geico commercials ruined cavemen for me.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby PSTN » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:50 pm

@Phighter

You know that phrase "every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings"? Well, every time corporate policy makes a minimum wage worker refuse money for a job well done, Satan's cock grows another poisonous thorn.

If it ever happens again, maybe tell them to call into the store and tell your manager that you went above and beyond. That kind of thing factors into decisions about raises and promotions.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby Phighter » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:28 pm

PSTN wrote:@Phighter

You know that phrase "every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings"? Well, every time corporate policy makes a minimum wage worker refuse money for a job well done, Satan's cock grows another poisonous thorn.

I want this on a t-shirt that I would never wear in public.

Thanks guys. Those wings were awesome. But they're not hot by any means - I'm a sucker for mild.

Phighter
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: King of Puns

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:06 pm

I don't want to die at the age of 35, so I have been seriously reducing my sugar consumption. I'm only allowing myself to eat sugary food one day per week. Previously I used to eat chocolate every single day. I'm eating ice cream right now, and it's so damn sweet I almost don't want to eat it. That's a good thing I guess, but it also kind of sucks if I can't eat ice cream anymore.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Paradox » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:25 pm

I'm prone to panic attacks, so I should really cut on coffee and energy drinks :<

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby JamishT » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:05 am

I just killed a wasp in my room. I don't know how it got in.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby ghijkmnop » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:20 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

PreviousNext