Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby JamishT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:59 am

cmsellers wrote:There's a Baha'i house of worship that I often pass coming back from Mueller.

Mr. President, I've found the mole!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:29 pm

Just emailed my resignation letter. Thought I'd be getting a response back but...crickets.

Huh.

Lol, right after I posted I got a call. It turns out my contact person at my contract company has been out sick for 3 days. So they didn't find out until my GM boss called them.

"Is there anything we can do to keep you?

"Make your insurance more affordable"

Which I know they can't do.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Paradox » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:07 pm

So, I never got the appeal of tide pods. I know they're supposed to look like sweet tasty fruity candy, but they never seemed appetizing for me. Which is probably for the best.

IMG_8826.JPG
IMG_8826.JPG (12.69 KiB) Viewed 5113 times

Then they go and release this:

IMG_8825.JPG
IMG_8825.JPG (69.37 KiB) Viewed 5113 times

Fuck. I'd go through a stomach pumping to have a bite out of this.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:14 pm

It may say something unflattering about our civilisation that plastic pouches of bright orange and blue liquid can be said to look like our favourite treats.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:33 pm

They do look tasty-

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:27 am

It’s fun watching old people yell at the TV whenever non-‘murican units are mentioned, especially when I get to explain that “ton” can refer to two different things.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:37 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby JamishT » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:35 am

So there was this dude at work who worked in my department, and was pretty reliable. He showed up on time, didn't take overly long breaks, and we shared good laughs when our shifts overlapped. A few days ago I heard a manager call him over the walkie to meet them somewhere... and then a few minutes later the store manager found me in the backroom to tell me that he wasn't coming back. Today, I found out that he had been stealing iPhones from the store like a complete idiot. He now is being charged with a felony (because of the value of the items he was stealing) and will never be allowed back to the store (duh).

Also, tonight I said see ya to the only manager I've ever considered asking out, because she's getting transferred to a different store. I never made a move because dating a manager is a dumb move and she mentioned a boyfriend. And called me "buddy".

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:14 pm

JamishT wrote:So there was this dude at work who worked in my department, and was pretty reliable. He showed up on time, didn't take overly long breaks, and we shared good laughs when our shifts overlapped. A few days ago I heard a manager call him over the walkie to meet them somewhere... and then a few minutes later the store manager found me in the backroom to tell me that he wasn't coming back. Today, I found out that he had been stealing iPhones from the store like a complete idiot. He now is being charged with a felony (because of the value of the items he was stealing) and will never be allowed back to the store (duh).

Also, tonight I said see ya to the only manager I've ever considered asking out, because she's getting transferred to a different store. I never made a move because dating a manager is a dumb move and she mentioned a boyfriend. And called me "buddy".

Spoiler: show

You're not still on nights, are you?

Paradox wrote:So, I never got the appeal of tide pods. I know they're supposed to look like sweet tasty fruity candy, but they never seemed appetizing for me. Which is probably for the best.

IMG_8826.JPG

Then they go and release this:

IMG_8825.JPG

Fuck. I'd go through a stomach pumping to have a bite out of this.

It looks death, or licorice, and I'm not sure which is worse.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby JamishT » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:19 pm

Yeah I'm on the closing shift still. Not sure what that has anything to do with anything though.

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:52 am

Yeah, dating a coworker is NEVER a good idea. There's one right now I kinda like, she's being kinda cute when we talk, but I'm just like "Nope. I've learned this lesson the hard way already".

Anyways, reading Oliver Twist makes me think that maybe I should mess around with a narration/serial format like that, because I have a story that I think would work well with it that's a very frontier-y space exploration adventure. I just need to find a site that publishes serials of that nature.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:10 am

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:Anyways, reading Oliver Twist makes me think that maybe I should mess around with a narration/serial format like that, because I have a story that I think would work well with it that's a very frontier-y space exploration adventure. I just need to find a site that publishes serials of that nature.

Your best bet is a fan or semi-pro zine, either finding or starting one. There are now plenty of publishers for novels these days and people read periodicals because they prefer short stories. I don't know of any professional market that accepts unsolicited serials; I'm not sure if there are any that publish them at all.

However I know of at least one fan zine which later where the primary editor had his own serial as a weekly feature for the first entire run (it was later rebooted as a semi-pro zine with a different editor), and that zine also published shorter serials from other writers. There's a lot of fan zines out there, and if you decide to start your own fan zine it will give you insight into the editorial process from the other side.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Delta Jim » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:26 am

The other day I saw a car with a bumper sticker that said "Dogma free since 325 AD". It was clearly a religious thing (specifically Judeo-Christian), but I couldn't think of any historical events that would be considered "freeing oneself from dogma" that happened in 325 (granted, I'm no theological historian, I just know that my best guess, the Protestant Reformation, happened several centuries later). So I looked it up and this is the only religion-related thing I could find that happened in 325 AD:

Wikipedia wrote:May 20 – First Council of Nicaea: Constantine I summons an ecumenical council of bishops in Nicaea (Turkey). The Nicene Creed declares that the members of the Trinity (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit) are equal. The council decides that Easter is celebrated on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox. Arius is exiled to Illyria; his works are confiscated and consigned to the flames.

Still not sure how exactly saying Jesus and God are equally divine counts as being "dogma free". In fact, I feel like burning the writings of some guy who said otherwise is kind of dogmatic.

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:42 am

I mentioned nights because I did nights for years, it's usually my fallback shift for new crappy jobs, but it's no way to really live life. You don't get as many chances to socialize, and days and nights blur together and before you know it, a lot of time has passed you by.

And the shitty thing is that managers don't remember you. You do all this thankless work and nights get blamed for all kinds of stuff. You're the background performer in a kabuki show, a man in black that moves the sets and people around, and though you get stuff done, you'll never be known and hardly get a chance to ever get promoted.

You might take a pay cut if you get transferred to days, but it's the only way to move up in that world.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby JamishT » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:19 am

Malfeasinator wrote:I mentioned nights because I did nights for years, it's usually my fallback shift for new crappy jobs, but it's no way to really live life. You don't get as many chances to socialize, and days and nights blur together and before you know it, a lot of time has passed you by.

And the shitty thing is that managers don't remember you. You do all this thankless work and nights get blamed for all kinds of stuff. You're the background performer in a kabuki show, a man in black that moves the sets and people around, and though you get stuff done, you'll never be known and hardly get a chance to ever get promoted.

You might take a pay cut if you get transferred to days, but it's the only way to move up in that world.

Ah yeah. That's definitely true. In my situation I'm the closer from a team of 4 or 5 people, so I'm the background worker of the background team. Thankfully, I do get recognition from management, mostly because I've been there for like 4 years where most people last a few months. The store manager, after telling me that the other guy wasn't coming back to work, asked me if I have any friends I could get to apply, to which I replied, "Brenda, I don't have any friends!"

I don't know why, but, to me, that's one of the funniest things I've said at work.

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

PreviousNext