Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:33 pm

My car needed new windshield wiper blades. There are two auto parts stores on my way home, depending on which way I go. I figured I'd try the smaller independent store that's not on my usual route home. After I told the guy behind the counter what I needed, this was the conversation:

Him: Do you want the cheap blades, or the really expensive ones?
Me: How long do they each last?
Him: It depends on how well you take care of them.
Me, internally: You are technically correct. The best kind of correct.
Me, externally: How much do they each cost?
Him: The cheap ones are $10 each, and the expensive ones are $11.
Me, internally: Oh, you!

So I got the "expensive" ones. I just looked up the prices at the other store, and they charge 2-3x as much.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:51 pm

I've had so many awful experiences with third party wipers that I just go to the dealership and buy the rubber inserts.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:48 pm

Well I did it. I applied at the new Amazon warehouse that just opened up down the street from the store I currently work at. I was fed up enough at work that I applied on my phone. But I didn't feel like taking the assessment on my phone because anything that might require accuracy or quick timing would be an instant fail for me on a touchscreen. Then I forgot when I got home because life.

The next day I was really busy on my day off to think about it. I figured I can just finish it the next day. And yeah it wasn't a problem. Except that I didn't do it. Because I got so many fucking emails telling me that I still had to take the assessment and my application was incomplete and omfg they just want to me to finish so I can pick a shift already c'mon. I withdrew the application rather than finish it. There's a rumor my company is upping base pay to $15/hr in June and if that floats all boats, which it should but I'm not assuming, both my wife and I are in for a nice raise.

I wanted to at least talk to them, and see if the grass looked greener on the other side, even despite my reservations based on what Mal posted about his experience working for them. Definitely a hard pass for now. Way too in your face with the constant badgering over what.... ya know what, forget that how about... If I had let the assessment sit for 10-20 days and got multiple emails a day regarding it and still ignored them and then finally finished the application... they'd still hire me. Even despite me showing a complete lack of follow through. Not so sure I want to work for a place like that. *smugface.gif*

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:28 am

The good: My job is (actually) making me permanent effective next week, which comes with an entire $1/hour raise. I thought I lost my checkbook (I knew it was somewhere in the house, and I need a voided check to set up direct deposit with the company). After tearing through three desk drawers, I found it in a different room.

The bad: My (manual) can opener broke when I tried to open a can a little while ago. That seems like the definition of "poorly made" (I barely used it before today). To be fair (for some value thereof), it may have been intended for right-handers.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:54 am

jbobsully11 wrote:The bad: My (manual) can opener broke when I tried to open a can a little while ago. That seems like the definition of "poorly made" (I barely used it before today). To be fair (for some value thereof), it may have been intended for right-handers.

You need Ned's store from the Simpsons.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:58 pm

I got a new (ambisinister) can opener a few days ago, and it works well.

I went to the grocery store after work today, and I thought I saw one of my old bosses there, which seemed odd because she worked second shift. It wasn't her, though.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:16 pm

Grocery stores are dumb. I've worked at enough to see it every year. The beginning of June comes and we're caught flat footed by people buying so much of the cheap meals like canned goods and TV dinners to where its hard to get certain varieties. Because their kids are about to be out of school. Happens every year. A few months from now we'll be all ready for back to school. Companies put "back to school" on their products so we know to buy a lot from them to sell to our customers. Like a holiday. Nobody labels their TV dinners "School's Out Yippeee" so we don't know to have extra on hand for the occasion. Chef Boyardee has the power to end this. And make a good amount of money doing so.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:07 am

Wouldn't "Out of School" be a better moniker? Since the kids are "out of school"?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:48 am

My mom is running for mayor. Which is nice, I guess, except I'm in charge of handling her website and other online stuff. The website doesn't have to be up for a few weeks, but she's sending a flyer out to solicit donations.

Tomorrow.

Oh, and I had to set up an online form to connect to her campaign's Paypal account. So for the last four hours or so, I've been fighting with several different sites that claim to be the easiest in helping design web forms because there's no way in hell I'm doing it from scratch. I just finished a few minutes ago.

It's now about a quarter to 12. I've been up since around 5 AM. Fuck my life. At least I don't have work tomorrow. Oh, and my health insurance kicked in, and weirdly my take home pay is still more than I expected. I should look into that.

Also, TIL Okilly Dokilly released a second album in 2019 that I didn't hear about. So I bought it.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:25 pm

My hometown has a board of three selectmen had an insufferable NIMBY good-ol-boy as selectman, who came from an old family, owned a sizeable portion of the town and didn't like any gosh-darned new development. Would block projects by voting no and bullying one of the other selectmen, a fairly weak-willed dude, into voting with him.

My mother worked on the campaign of his challenger, who managed to oust him pretty much entirely by having people hand out flyers at the dump. Though... she also had signs made, but deliberately didn't distribute them until a week before election day so that he wouldn't have time to get his own signs made. A couple of his supporters still had signs from his first campaign, but there were a lot less of those.

It was an interesting dynamic because while both candidates had deep roots in the town, the people who were "new" to the town ("new" being defined in my hometown as less than three generations), overwhelmingly supported the challenger, while a sizeable chunk of "older" residents, supported the incumbent, especially if they were actual old people. It was my first introduction to the nature of small-town politics.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:58 am

My alarm is set to be a random song from Taylor Swift, but lately it's been Blank Space for at least several days in a row which I definitely don't want because I do like that song a lot and don't want to hate it. Also, it used to be that if I opened my music app later it would revert to the last playlist I was listening to, but it's been picking up where it left off playing Blank Space. Annoyed, I went to change my alarm to a normal sound tonight...but they all kinda suck so back to TSwizzle it is!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:24 am

JamishT wrote:My alarm is set to be a random song from Taylor Swift, but lately it's been Blank Space for at least several days in a row which I definitely don't want because I do like that song a lot and don't want to hate it. Also, it used to be that if I opened my music app later it would revert to the last playlist I was listening to, but it's been picking up where it left off playing Blank Space. Annoyed, I went to change my alarm to a normal sound tonight...but they all kinda suck so back to TSwizzle it is!

I love Don Williams.

I started using "Lord, I Hope This Day is Good" in the hopes that an optimistic song about waking up in the morning would help me pull myself out of bed. Instead, I realized it was making me start to hate Don Williams.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:10 pm

Normal ringtones and alert noises are gross to me. I wake up to Mega Man music and my notification sound is from Super Mario World. It's the noise you hear when a P-Switch is about to run out. Works perfectly because it just sounds like a phone noise to anyone who doesn't recognize it. Fucks me up when I'm watching people play SMW on Twitch though.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:03 pm

I did end up changing my alarm sound last week, and then promptly slept through it the next morning. My job is pretty understanding with it, so it worked out okay, but I kinda miss Troy and Abed TSwift in the morning.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Krashlia » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:57 pm

Old Funimation was trash, with a business model that was based on translating and dubbing wonderfully trash anime, which was usually the best it could get its hands on with a few exceptions.

Current Funimation has pretensions of being a respectable company with moralist values, while becoming more monopolistic in its operations and ever so slightly more interested in altering the content of what they get their filthy, American mitts on. guided by a misguided attempt to combat the verifiable stereotype that, Japanese Creativity + American Money = Gold, while American "Creativity" + Japanese funding = Wasted Time.

Yes, I'm watching Save Me! Lollipop.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext