Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:11 am

I got a call today about another possible job. It’s literally down the street (I could walk there if it wasn’t on a highway), but doesn’t pay nearly as much. And of course they want to fill the position soon. I didn’t say no because I’m not sure what’s going to happen with the job I had the phone interview for yesterday.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby JamishT » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:16 am

I went to a wedding today. The couple was/is poor, of course, so they wanted a potluck, which is fine. However, they are also vegan, so I tried to make something. It involved macaroni, "ground beef", "bacon", cheese, and tomato stuff. I was hoping to make like cheeseburger pasta or something. BUT NO, IT WAS GROSS. I thought about taking it anyway, I even brought it to the wedding, but left it in my car, because gross. Before leaving I dumped it in some woods next to the parking area.

Also, I saw some old friends who didn't recognize me, and I didn't feel like reviving a friendship for an afternoon.

Also also, instead of trying various foods that didn't have the help of animals, two friends and I went to Taco Bell. It was great!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby SandTea » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:45 am

Anytime there is a "vegan" obligation for potluck, just make it spicy as hell. It makes people think that you prepared your 'signature dish' or to just not eat it. "Here is my special spicy boiled cabbage recipe" I have said, only losing about 5 bucks (and potential repeat invites) while also being able to still drink all the wine. :twisted:

There are some really tasty meat alternatives but they are like "whole foods" expensive.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:32 pm

I like this super special meat alternative. It's called ham burger. It's made out of ham and we all know that pigs aren't made of meat. They're made of tofu. I will fight you if you say I'm wrong.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:24 am

I don't believe in meat alternatives, since if you're not eating meat then you will starve to death because there is no alternative. Think about it, every peasant who was eating grass prior to the French revolution is dead now.

This is all the food we need.
Preach the truth people.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Tuli » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:55 am

If you need to make a vegan/vegetarian meal, there's no reason to bother with expensive and usually nasty 'meat alternatives' when you can just look up some Indian recipes. They are delicious.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:28 pm

On a side note, I understand doing a potluck for a wedding because food is expensive, but putting the additional burden of doing a vegan potluck is too much.

I would probably either have just offered to donate money to someone more familiar with vegan cuisine, or just not gone all together.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:48 pm

I just got back from a job interview, and I'm not sure how I did, but I don't think it went very well. I couldn't remember how some of the experiments I did in school were set up, and the main guy didn't seem too impressed with my job history. They did show me the kind of machinery I'd be working with if I got hired, which might not be a bad sign.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:34 am

JamishT wrote:I went to a wedding today. The couple was/is poor, of course, so they wanted a potluck, which is fine. However, they are also vegan, so I tried to make something. It involved macaroni, "ground beef", "bacon", cheese, and tomato stuff. I was hoping to make like cheeseburger pasta or something. BUT NO, IT WAS GROSS. I thought about taking it anyway, I even brought it to the wedding, but left it in my car, because gross. Before leaving I dumped it in some woods next to the parking area.

Also, I saw some old friends who didn't recognize me, and I didn't feel like reviving a friendship for an afternoon.

Also also, instead of trying various foods that didn't have the help of animals, two friends and I went to Taco Bell. It was great!

Dude, I brought a bag of oranges to a potluck once. It wasn't vegan or anything, just a regular pot luck. The oranges were from trees in our backyard at the time.

At least you put effort into it.

DoglovingJim wrote:I don't believe in meat alternatives, since if you're not eating meat then you will starve to death because there is no alternative. Think about it, every peasant who was eating grass prior to the French revolution is dead now.

This is all the food we need.
Spoiler: show

Preach the truth people.

I know a restaurant that has a food challenge that looks similar to the thing you've pictured. You also have to eat fries. They have a wall of fame and shame. I always wanted to try it, but I think I'd really have to get back into weightlifting again to crush that amount of food.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby Absentia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:58 pm

How to tell if you're a nerd: I spent the weekend binge watching a series on Netflix, but it was Ken Burns's 14-hour documentary on Teddy, Franklin, and Eleanor Roosevelt. Now I have that damn piano tune stuck in my head.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:47 pm

If it's a vegetarian potluck then things would be easy: I usually bring desserts to potlucks anyways and almost any dessert I'd bring to a potluck is vegetarian already. I do make pie crusts with half leaf lard/half-butter, but that's still an easy fix. Plus my most popular pie is black-bottomed key lime, which doesn't even use a proper pie crust.

Veganism gets a lot harder: even with desserts you have to change the fat out for a similar one and may need to find an egg substitute. So I'd probably pick a dessert with no egg where I was confident that olive oil, canola oil, or Crisco could substitute for butter, or else I'd just fry up some eggplant. I could make rice-stuffed peppers or grape leaves, but those are a lot of work and I'd resent whoever was making be bring a vegan dish, so I'm probably not going to go above and beyond for them. Especially since the best stuffed peppers are made with cheese and the best stuffed grape leaves have meat.

Incidentally, vegan/vegetarian food is best when it's not pretending to be something it's not. Eggplant and tofu skins are delicious, tofurkey and boca burgers and go fuck themselves. I do like Bacos, but I've always thought of then as something entirely distinct from bacon; if I considered them a bacon substitute I'd hate them.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Tue May 01, 2018 6:33 am

Absentia wrote:How to tell if you're a nerd: I spent the weekend binge watching a series on Netflix, but it was Ken Burns's 14-hour documentary on Teddy, Franklin, and Eleanor Roosevelt. Now I have that damn piano tune stuck in my head.

Ooh, I need to watch that.

Am I more of a nerd if I keep nearly making references to NPR, MarketPlace, and/or Survivor podcasts in regular conversation?

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Wed May 02, 2018 10:36 am

Tuli wrote:If you need to make a vegan/vegetarian meal, there's no reason to bother with expensive and usually nasty 'meat alternatives' when you can just look up some Indian recipes. They are delicious.

...vegan... naan?

it's maida and water, what the fuck?

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed May 02, 2018 3:09 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:
Tuli wrote:If you need to make a vegan/vegetarian meal, there's no reason to bother with expensive and usually nasty 'meat alternatives' when you can just look up some Indian recipes. They are delicious.

...vegan... naan?

it's maida and water, what the fuck?

Doing a quick search shows a lot of naan recipes that include butter, milk, yogurt, or eggs.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Wed May 02, 2018 6:00 pm

But that's fucking weird. Indian food does not use milk or eggs in anything made with flour, that's a western thing. And butter isn't used to cook Naan, it's just a topping that's there to make it taste better.

I've been all over the North and the South. Naan is maida and flour mixed with water and put into a tandoor.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

PreviousNext