Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:11 am

I got a call today about another possible job. It’s literally down the street (I could walk there if it wasn’t on a highway), but doesn’t pay nearly as much. And of course they want to fill the position soon. I didn’t say no because I’m not sure what’s going to happen with the job I had the phone interview for yesterday.
  • 5

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
User avatar
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 3105
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 pm
Location: not the outskirts of nowhere anymore, NJ, USA
Show rep
Title: The Sporadically Employed

Re: Things that are things.

Postby JamishT » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:16 am

I went to a wedding today. The couple was/is poor, of course, so they wanted a potluck, which is fine. However, they are also vegan, so I tried to make something. It involved macaroni, "ground beef", "bacon", cheese, and tomato stuff. I was hoping to make like cheeseburger pasta or something. BUT NO, IT WAS GROSS. I thought about taking it anyway, I even brought it to the wedding, but left it in my car, because gross. Before leaving I dumped it in some woods next to the parking area.

Also, I saw some old friends who didn't recognize me, and I didn't feel like reviving a friendship for an afternoon.

Also also, instead of trying various foods that didn't have the help of animals, two friends and I went to Taco Bell. It was great!
  • 7

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
User avatar
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber
 
Posts: 5374
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:31 pm
Location: KC, MO, AMERICA
Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Re: Things that are things.

Postby SandTea » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:45 am

Anytime there is a "vegan" obligation for potluck, just make it spicy as hell. It makes people think that you prepared your 'signature dish' or to just not eat it. "Here is my special spicy boiled cabbage recipe" I have said, only losing about 5 bucks (and potential repeat invites) while also being able to still drink all the wine. :twisted:

There are some really tasty meat alternatives but they are like "whole foods" expensive.
  • 6

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
User avatar
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 pm
Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Re: Things that are things.

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:32 pm

I like this super special meat alternative. It's called ham burger. It's made out of ham and we all know that pigs aren't made of meat. They're made of tofu. I will fight you if you say I'm wrong.
  • 3

User avatar
NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 4075
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:49 am
Location: You'll Never Know!
Show rep

Re: Things that are things.

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:24 am

I don't believe in meat alternatives, since if you're not eating meat then you will starve to death because there is no alternative. Think about it, every peasant who was eating grass prior to the French revolution is dead now.

This is all the food we need.
Image
Preach the truth people.
  • 2

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2785
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Things that are things.

Postby Tuli » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:55 am

If you need to make a vegan/vegetarian meal, there's no reason to bother with expensive and usually nasty 'meat alternatives' when you can just look up some Indian recipes. They are delicious.
  • 5

User avatar
Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:55 pm
Location: Estonia
Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Re: Things that are things.

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:28 pm

On a side note, I understand doing a potluck for a wedding because food is expensive, but putting the additional burden of doing a vegan potluck is too much.

I would probably either have just offered to donate money to someone more familiar with vegan cuisine, or just not gone all together.
  • 4

User avatar
IamNotCreepy
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Inside the "Cone of Uncertainty"
Show rep
Title: The Yeast of Thought and Mind

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:48 pm

I just got back from a job interview, and I'm not sure how I did, but I don't think it went very well. I couldn't remember how some of the experiments I did in school were set up, and the main guy didn't seem too impressed with my job history. They did show me the kind of machinery I'd be working with if I got hired, which might not be a bad sign.
  • 8

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
User avatar
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 3105
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 pm
Location: not the outskirts of nowhere anymore, NJ, USA
Show rep
Title: The Sporadically Employed

Re: Things that are things.

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:34 am

JamishT wrote:I went to a wedding today. The couple was/is poor, of course, so they wanted a potluck, which is fine. However, they are also vegan, so I tried to make something. It involved macaroni, "ground beef", "bacon", cheese, and tomato stuff. I was hoping to make like cheeseburger pasta or something. BUT NO, IT WAS GROSS. I thought about taking it anyway, I even brought it to the wedding, but left it in my car, because gross. Before leaving I dumped it in some woods next to the parking area.

Also, I saw some old friends who didn't recognize me, and I didn't feel like reviving a friendship for an afternoon.

Also also, instead of trying various foods that didn't have the help of animals, two friends and I went to Taco Bell. It was great!


Dude, I brought a bag of oranges to a potluck once. It wasn't vegan or anything, just a regular pot luck. The oranges were from trees in our backyard at the time.

At least you put effort into it.

DoglovingJim wrote:I don't believe in meat alternatives, since if you're not eating meat then you will starve to death because there is no alternative. Think about it, every peasant who was eating grass prior to the French revolution is dead now.

This is all the food we need.
Spoiler: show
Image

Preach the truth people.


I know a restaurant that has a food challenge that looks similar to the thing you've pictured. You also have to eat fries. They have a wall of fame and shame. I always wanted to try it, but I think I'd really have to get back into weightlifting again to crush that amount of food.
  • 4

Are you dreaming?
Are you dreaming?
User avatar
Malfeasinator
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Kentucky
Show rep
Title: You know, just some guy

Re: Things that are things.

Postby Absentia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:58 pm

How to tell if you're a nerd: I spent the weekend binge watching a series on Netflix, but it was Ken Burns's 14-hour documentary on Teddy, Franklin, and Eleanor Roosevelt. Now I have that damn piano tune stuck in my head.
  • 5

User avatar
Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 1593
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:46 am
Location: Earth
Show rep

Re: Things that are things.

Postby cmsellers » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:47 pm

If it's a vegetarian potluck then things would be easy: I usually bring desserts to potlucks anyways and almost any dessert I'd bring to a potluck is vegetarian already. I do make pie crusts with half leaf lard/half-butter, but that's still an easy fix. Plus my most popular pie is black-bottomed key lime, which doesn't even use a proper pie crust.

Veganism gets a lot harder: even with desserts you have to change the fat out for a similar one and may need to find an egg substitute. So I'd probably pick a dessert with no egg where I was confident that olive oil, canola oil, or Crisco could substitute for butter, or else I'd just fry up some eggplant. I could make rice-stuffed peppers or grape leaves, but those are a lot of work and I'd resent whoever was making be bring a vegan dish, so I'm probably not going to go above and beyond for them. Especially since the best stuffed peppers are made with cheese and the best stuffed grape leaves have meat.

Incidentally, vegan/vegetarian food is best when it's not pretending to be something it's not. Eggplant and tofu skins are delicious, tofurkey and boca burgers and go fuck themselves. I do like Bacos, but I've always thought of then as something entirely distinct from bacon; if I considered them a bacon substitute I'd hate them.
  • 6

User avatar
cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 8390
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: Three miles from the bat bridge
Show rep
Title: The Bad Bart of Ruddigore

Re: Things that are things.

Postby JamishT » Tue May 01, 2018 6:33 am

Absentia wrote:How to tell if you're a nerd: I spent the weekend binge watching a series on Netflix, but it was Ken Burns's 14-hour documentary on Teddy, Franklin, and Eleanor Roosevelt. Now I have that damn piano tune stuck in my head.


Ooh, I need to watch that.

Am I more of a nerd if I keep nearly making references to NPR, MarketPlace, and/or Survivor podcasts in regular conversation?
  • 4

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
User avatar
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber
 
Posts: 5374
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:31 pm
Location: KC, MO, AMERICA
Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Re: Things that are things.

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Wed May 02, 2018 10:36 am

Tuli wrote:If you need to make a vegan/vegetarian meal, there's no reason to bother with expensive and usually nasty 'meat alternatives' when you can just look up some Indian recipes. They are delicious.


...vegan... naan?

it's maida and water, what the fuck?
  • 3



WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
User avatar
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: The Internet, India
Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: Things that are things.

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed May 02, 2018 3:09 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:
Tuli wrote:If you need to make a vegan/vegetarian meal, there's no reason to bother with expensive and usually nasty 'meat alternatives' when you can just look up some Indian recipes. They are delicious.


...vegan... naan?

it's maida and water, what the fuck?


Doing a quick search shows a lot of naan recipes that include butter, milk, yogurt, or eggs.
  • 3

User avatar
IamNotCreepy
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Inside the "Cone of Uncertainty"
Show rep
Title: The Yeast of Thought and Mind

Re: Things that are things.

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Wed May 02, 2018 6:00 pm

But that's fucking weird. Indian food does not use milk or eggs in anything made with flour, that's a western thing. And butter isn't used to cook Naan, it's just a topping that's there to make it taste better.

I've been all over the North and the South. Naan is maida and flour mixed with water and put into a tandoor.
  • 4



WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
User avatar
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: The Internet, India
Show rep
Title: Grenadier

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests