Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:23 pm

Don't know the story behind this or if it's remotely accurate but it's adorable.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:10 pm

So I got a call from my wife yesterday that our friend needed us to come witness his wedding. This was a shock. He had proposed pretty quickly, and they'd been engaged for only about a month. Though to be fair, they are both getting older and want to start a family, and they are type-A people who don't mess around when they know what they want.

There are also some cultural things to consider. They are both Muslim, so finding someone whom they are compatible with, who shares the same values, and is also Muslim was pretty difficult.

It still came as a surprise, but we decided to run with it. So went to his mosque, which we had been to before, and waited for him and his bride-to-be to get there.

They were running late, and it got kind of awkward because we stuck out like sore thumbs. People would come in and out of the lobby area and would be surprised to see two white people there.

Finally, they arrived and explained the situation: they were still planning on getting "married" in July, but they are planning an international trip together, and to appease their conservative parents they agreed to get officially married before they left.

They had tried to get it done in Georgia earlier in the day, but they couldn't find an Imam who was available. They found someone here in Jacksonville to do it, so they rushed back here, which was why they were running late.

It was a very informal ceremony, but there were some sexist things about it that kind of bugged me (and why I posted this here and not in the good things thread).

My wife and I needed to be there to attest that the bride was getting married under her own free will and not being coerced. There had to be a number of men there as witnesses (the women didn't count). Normally, the bride would need to have a male family member essentially give permission, but the Imam decided since she was 35 she was old enough to make the decision herself.

There was the state marriage license that had to be filled out, and my wife signed as a witness (because she has better handwriting). There was also an Islamic certificate that had to be filled out, but only the men were allowed to sign that one.

My friend and his bride looked a bit embarrassed by all that (they are pretty progressive). I am in no way trying to bash Muslims, but it was just an odd experience to me. I know there are other religions (including sects of Christianity) that do that kind of thing too.

Then we went out and had Mexican food to celebrate. This wedding will be a secret for everyone but a select few, and they are planning a huge 400 person wedding in July.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:28 pm

I just saw this on Facebook. Whoever runs the Twitter account for Wendy’s is hilarious.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby JamishT » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:25 am

jbobsully11 wrote:I just saw this on Facebook. Whoever runs the Twitter account for Wendy’s is hilarious.

Also see @MoonPie the account of a marshmallow/graham/chocolate snack that I've never had, and Denny's Twitter. They aren't as savage and sassy as Wendy's, but they're pretty great nonetheless!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:17 am

So, I'm at the Sheraton Grand Hotel right across from SacAnime, and I just had,like, the most amazing garlic fries in, like, the history of ever. Just.......oh my god.

Then, again, it could be very well they're just average and I'm just blitzed off my ass, but, oh my god.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:55 pm

On the topic of amazing food stuff I have to chime in regarding Outback's bourbon dipping sauce for the cheese steak I got from there last night. It was sweet, smoky, spicy and I think it tasted like bourbon because there was a shot poured in there. I'm a serious lightweight (seriously, I've lost 30 lbs over the last year) so I could feel the alcohol affecting me. I hope they don' serve this stuff to minors for the sake of avoiding lawsuits.

I once worked at Outback in the 90's so I'm familiar with most of their older offerings and I always go for whatever is new when we eat there. I highly recommend the $1.79 upgrade of the cheese steak. For that meager amount of money it came with the aforementioned bombass sauce, a ramekin of bacon crumbles and a slice of bacon. I was drooling like Homer Simpson.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:12 pm

I watched this film with my movie club on facebook a while back. We called it the Bollywood Nightmare on Elm Street. The actual name is Mahakaal, it has 4 stars and some change on IMBD. I legit didn't realize it was made in '93 until today. I thought it was an 80s film this whole time.

I noticed that Ian Fortney is watching tweeting observations on it.

Here's a youtube synopsis if you don't want to watch the whole thing, it's an hour and 35 minutes long and I'm fairly certain there's probably something lost in translation.

And enjoy a gif of the most wtf character in this film:
200w_d (1).gif
200w_d (1).gif (94.74 KiB) Viewed 4612 times

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:44 pm

I was wondering if the Youtube channel Numberphile had any videos on the Futurama theorem in group theory. It turns out that they don't, but one of their sister channels does.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Australia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:09 pm

I was watching Terminator on Netflix because I've seen it a hundred times, may as well mix things up by changing format every now and then. Anyway, upon pausing, this was the description that popped up.

Netflix wrote:In the post-apocalyptic future, tyrannical machines teleport a cyborg to 1984 to a kill a woman whose unborn son is destined to lead the human rebels.

It's almost like the guy writing summaries was ordered to make every single word in the description terrifying. Anyway, I hope he did that with every movie, regardless of genre, just making people shit themselves before they even start watching the terror bound to unfold in The Notebook.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Windy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:17 pm

I'm currently deciding in my head which is worse: Posting smug anime girls or posting smug memes

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Smug anime girl memes.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:59 pm

Windy wrote:I'm currently deciding in my head which is worse: Posting smug anime girls or posting smug memes

Neither. Posting smug trolling comments are the worst.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:01 am

I had a job interview scheduled for tomorrow, but the company e-mailed me today saying there was a scheduling conflict, so it will have to be some time next week.

On a totally unrelated note, the volume control icon has vanished from my computer, and appears to be disabled in the control panel. Thanks, Obama Bill Gates!

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:59 am

The lazy guy from my senior project (and a bunch of other classes) tried to add me on Facebook today. I may end up regretting it at some point (though I’m not sure how), but I declined and then blocked him.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:19 am

There's a Baha'i house of worship that I often pass coming back from Mueller. Yesterday I went back a different way noticed that they had a billboard to celebrate Baha'u'llah's birthday at the intersection of Airport and Manor. I looked it up and it was in November, so it's clearly been there for awhile. Also, apparently it's not a proper House of Worship, which seems to be akin to Cathedral, I'm not sure what the proper term is.

Also, according to their website, the Mayor of Austin issued this:

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

PreviousNext