Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:36 am

cmsellers wrote:I bought some of those strips you put on your nose to pull gunk out of your pores. I'm not really sure why I decided to do this other than that I suddenly remembered how much I liked doing it as a teenager. And amazingly, despite not having acne, I still have gunk in my pores. I got several clogs out but I'm pretty sure now looking at my nose that there's a lot more in there. The instructions say not to do more than one every three days, but I suspect I'll do one every few hours until I stop getting gunk on the strips. I may get actual acne or something as a result, but it's just sooo satisfying.

Relevant. I've never used those, but I suspect they would have been really helpful when I was a teenager, and possibly still now.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:29 pm

I finally got Portishead's album "Dummy". So I'm listening to it now.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:07 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:I finally got Portishead's album "Dummy". So I'm listening to it now.

Mysterons is a great song.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:03 am

I got two e-mails a little while ago from the higher-ups at my work suggesting a few different certifications I could go for. I was kind of expecting them to say they hate my guts and that I should consider a career flipping burgers somewhere far away from them, so this is probably a good sign. The inspections I’d be training for all seem to happen later in the day, which would suck, but I could make a lot more money.

Also, some developers have been trying to put a physical therapy/medical place across the street and around the block in what is very much a residential area (everyone around here is opposed to it, and there are much better locations not that far away). There was a meeting at the town hall to discuss it (among other things), and when the lawyer for the other side saw how many people were ready to speak out against it (and that there were only five of the nine board members there anyway), he decided to not say anything until the next available time, which turns out to be in December because the agenda for next month is full.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby reallifegirl » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:20 pm

For reasons that are unclear to me: if you're sick and would prefer to work from home instead of the office, you're supposed to get it approved by management before you're allowed to stay home. But if you're sick and take the day off, you just do it, let people know, and no one bats an eye.

I kind of get why that system's in place, but you'd think you'd want to make it so that if someone wakes up with a head cold, they wouldn't infect the office or decide 'Fuck it, I'm not waiting to see if Chad to check his email, I'm just calling out'.

(Edit: And it's especially stupid since my direct boss and her supervisor both work from home 80% of the time anyway because they live remotely in Florida/Ohio.)

Signed, I'm home with strep throat and got an email from management about it

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Delta Jim » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:38 pm

For about 20 years now I've listened to a "throwback" radio station. Back when I first started listening to it the oldest songs they'd play were from the mid-70's (so about 20 years earlier). I knew that one day, if the format remained the same, the "about 20 years" timeframe would come to encompass a time I remembered clearly.

Last Thursday I turned the station on and the DJ said the next song was "old, but not forgotten". And what was this "old" song?

And there it was, the day I've feared since I turned 20. The "throwback" station had started playing songs I actually remember being released.

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby sunglasses » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:44 pm

2nd job calls me, "Hey we have a mandatory meeting at 1 pm tomorrow."

Me, "yeah, I'll be at my fulltime job. That's over an hour away from y'all. Not happening."

Them, "It's mandatory."

Me, "yeahhhhhh, full time job. No."

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:56 pm

I've suggested making an extremely crude facsimile (like a stapler with a post-it and a drawing of my face on it) to "attend" meetings I can't go to but officially have to. The idea being that anyone there would agree that it was so convincing that they are sure I was present, if asked. Hasn't caught on yet.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby PSTN » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:18 pm

I just heard on the radio that Gord Downie, lead singer of the Tragically Hip, died today. I've beena fan for years, and like many canadians their music features heavily in the soundtrack of my life. He will be missed.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:38 pm

There's an LiSBtS reference in the new South Park game

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Australia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:20 pm

So tonight was the first time I actually paid attention to the credits in God Bless America and "Pancake Eating Pedophile" is my new favourite character name.

God Bless Accreditation.png
God Bless Accreditation.png (66.41 KiB) Viewed 6689 times

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Marcuse » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Daniel Everson...Guy.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby RainyDays » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:30 am

This was going to be a rant post, but I've mellowed on it. Also it's ridiculous. I'm ridiculous. Sorry this got crazy long.

I flubbed my practical this week. Like, I could have done just as well if I had walked into the assessment room with a bowling ball and repeatedly dropped it on my own foot while the proctor watched in bemusement. I would have gotten sympathy points for that. It was probably the easiest practical I've had, I was more than prepared for it, and yet I walked in and proceeded to do every single thing wrong short of setting my hair on fire. It was embarrassing, and I knew I was doing it, and yet I continued.

This has been a pattern for me lately. I take the easiest of tasks, and uncover the stupidest mistake I can possibly make. It's like a super power. They should give awards for making stupid mistakes on easy things. I would not win it, because I would find a way to mess it up.

My brain has been so foggy and uncooperative lately. Not just on this, but in a lot of ways. I can feel how sluggishly I'm thinking, and it's aggravating to be aware of it but not know how to kick myself back into the right gear. But a big part of it is me, psyching myself out. I let mistakes overwhelm me and feed the cycle. I have this nagging drive telling me I have to constantly do better think better be better, and it's hard to tell a series of slips from a spiral. Every time I screw up, I think: This is it, the limit of my abilities. All downhill from here. I knew I couldn't fake it forever.

Here's the thing: I passed my practical. By the skin of my teeth, and good lord do I feel dumb, but I passed. Pretty sure they just didn't want to make me retest, because I cannot exaggerate what a disaster I was. And I was still upset, because I knew what I was doing and managed to bungle it, and I could end up with a B in the class. Oh, the horror?

How did I become such a perfectionist? I never cared about GPA, or grades; I was always mellow on the administrative details and more focused on actually getting something out of my education. I seriously didn't even know my own GPA at any point in my education until now. Never cared. Shouldn't care now. I'm not a Type A person, and the more I try to cram into that box, the less comfortable a fit it is. That might be part of why my brain is dragging its lazy little feet so much. Maybe I should stop trying to kick it into gear and instead coax it gently into cooperating. With low-stress crossword puzzles and soothing music, or whatever brains like. I don't know, mine doesn't get along with me too well.

I vented about this to my mom earlier, and her response was, "Yeah, but you always do better with bigger challenges." And that's actually true; I do my worst on the easiest things for some bizarre reason and always have -- my stupid super power. This isn't going to decide my future, nor really matter in the long run. If I had to pick something to crash on, might as well be this. I doubt a future interviewer is going to ask why I flopped on such an easy task, and if they do, well, I'll bounce on to something else. And all the other stupid mistakes I've been making... I'm setting myself up for self-fulfilling prophecies of failure (or, you know, A minuses. The horror. Have I mentioned I'm ridiculous?) I need to relax and stop fixating on the wrong things. I might still keep making stupid mistakes and feeling downtrodden over it, but I already know obsessing over it doesn't help. Hard habit to break, but I'm trying.

So, hopefully I put on a good comedy sketch for my proctor. And I can take this as a lesson to chill out.

RainyDays
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:02 am

RainyDays wrote:This has been a pattern for me lately. I take the easiest of tasks, and uncover the stupidest mistake I can possibly make. It's like a super power. They should give awards for making stupid mistakes on easy things. I would not win it, because I would find a way to mess it up.

I've been there. It sucks when you somehow manage to destroy everything you touch in increasingly stupid/bizarre ways, so you just try to go to sleep early and hope the next day will be less shitty, but even that doesn't happen and you just stay up all night hating yourself.

*ahem* I really do hope things get better for you soon.
-----

I had an online coupon from a bookstore for 15% off any purchase over a certain amount, but it expired at midnight, just as I realized I already had most of the books I was thinking of buying (not that my order would've reached the minimum price anyway). At least I updated the file that lists all the books I plan to get.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Windy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:51 pm

Europeans put day before month, Americans put month before day.
Do Europeans think 9/11 happened on November 9th?

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext