Adventures from your work!

Discussion, in general

Re: Adventures from your work!

Postby mancityfooty » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:09 am

These are the control panels I deal with every day.
(four days a week, now. six days a week sometimes. five days a week usually)

left
wt-150.jpg
wt-150.jpg (167.89 KiB) Viewed 12166 times

right
tw-20.jpg
tw-20.jpg (186.05 KiB) Viewed 12166 times

CNC (computer numeric controlled machines)

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:40 am

(presses red button on the right).

"Sir, we'll need that to live."

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby mancityfooty » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:27 am

No, you don't. No, don't...
aww f*ck.
Now I have to get everything going again.
Do you see how it says "Emerg Stop"?
That means emergency stop.
So from now on, hands in your pockets. Don't touch anything.
Dammit.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby BobTheZombie » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:01 pm

So I was 4 months into my internship in a lab when I got some unexpected news. I was weighing out something around midday when I was called into the boss's office. He told me I was being moved to Production tomorrow morning. I was a bit shocked since I applied for a lab position and this wasn't what I hoped for. I didn't want to rock the boat though so I just agreed to go. I figured it was temporary and it would be a different experience. Anyway, I was down there for about 2 weeks when they offered me a position until Christmas. I turned it down since I was told it would close the door on a return to the lab in January so I refused. They came back with a new offer this week and I accepted (money is better than the social welfare). A 3 month contract now then the chance of going back into the lab in January. Of course I chose Wednesday, my first official working day, to be late so I'm already down 2.45 hours on my clock that I'll have to work.

Anyway, it's a very different environment. You have to wear clean overalls etc and have these crossover points that are free from contamination. I've been using generic overalls but I didn't have any in my locker (in the visitors changing room) so I had to go into the men's, that was full of fellas wanting to rib the new guy. They gave me one of the boss's overalls that I thankful got rid of before I was caught with them. Then I got a suit like they wear, but these aren't overalls. You have to take off your trousers to wear them. I did but left my jeans in the men's changing room. When lunch came, I realised I had no trousers so had to go into the men's changing room from the visitors. They all looked at me funny so I blurted out "I forgot my trousers!". Naturally this was brought up many times throughout the day and this will probably be associated with me for my full 3 months there haha.

"Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier!" - Virginia from Dragonzball P
BobTheZombie
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Pessimistic Optimist

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:27 pm

So there's this paper on the wall at the customer service counter at work displaying an obvious fact

-THIS IS NOT THE BREAKROOM-

Very convenient to point at. Its been up for months. I have no idea what possessed me today to read it in my head and follow with THIS IS SPARTA! I took a small piece of paper and wrote those words and drew a stick figure kicking another stick figure into a pit then stuck it up so its hanging beneath the other paper. I reserve the right to post a picture of it here in the future.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:49 pm

These are obnoxiously powerful wipes:
Spoiler: show
They're great for decontaminating surfaces and, as I found out at my last job (basically reorganizing a bunch of supply closets at two VA hospitals), getting labels off of metal shelves and leaving no glue behind.

Though the company recommends washing your hands thoroughly after skin contact (or wearing gloves, ideally), their own website lists no hazards beyond mild irritation (unless you get it in your eyes). Hopefully sunglasses or someone else can fill in the specifics (and/or verify what I write below).

I had read the canisters and knew that you weren't supposed to touch them, but I didn't know what they looked or smelled like because I never had any reason to use them. So when I was helping a coworker get outdated labels off a shelf one day, he left the room to get something to make the job go faster. He came back with some of those wipes (not in their original container), and left to do something else. While I continued to work on the labels, a nurse came in and started freaking out because I wasn't wearing gloves. He threw a pair of rubber gloves at me, told me to wash my hands as soon as I was done (especially before eating anything), and said that the wipes can cause sterility.

When I got back to the warehouse and told my boss what I had learned, she said she had heard they cause kidney problems.

Question for anyone who knows the answer: Why do those exist? Is straight rubbing alcohol (or Lysol, or white vinegar, or almost anything else) that much worse at disinfecting surfaces?

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Grimstone » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:41 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:These are obnoxiously powerful wipes:
Spoiler: show
They're great for decontaminating surfaces and, as I found out at my last job (basically reorganizing a bunch of supply closets at two VA hospitals), getting labels off of metal shelves and leaving no glue behind.

Though the company recommends washing your hands thoroughly after skin contact (or wearing gloves, ideally), their own website lists no hazards beyond mild irritation (unless you get it in your eyes). Hopefully sunglasses or someone else can fill in the specifics (and/or verify what I write below).

I had read the canisters and knew that you weren't supposed to touch them, but I didn't know what they looked or smelled like because I never had any reason to use them. So when I was helping a coworker get outdated labels off a shelf one day, he left the room to get something to make the job go faster. He came back with some of those wipes (not in their original container), and left to do something else. While I continued to work on the labels, a nurse came in and started freaking out because I wasn't wearing gloves. He threw a pair of rubber gloves at me, told me to wash my hands as soon as I was done (especially before eating anything), and said that the wipes can cause sterility.

When I got back to the warehouse and told my boss what I had learned, she said she had heard they cause kidney problems.

Question for anyone who knows the answer: Why do those exist? Is straight rubbing alcohol (or Lysol, or white vinegar, or almost anything else) that much worse at disinfecting surfaces?

I use the exact same brand of wipes(PDI, but sani-cloth plus not super sani-cloth). The toxicity category for the wipes that I use are category four(skin irritation) and category three(eye irritation).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicity_category_rating

Edit: Make sure this stuff doesn't get in your eyes
http://www.medline.com/media/catalog/Docs/MSDS/MSD_SDSD10790.pdf
http://www.medline.com/media/catalog/Docs/MSDS/Super_Sani-Cloth.pdf

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:07 pm

As some of you know, I'm a software developer.
Last week I finally got brought onto the project I was told I'd be working on when I started my current job - redeveloping a big complex data-processing system with modern technologies and best practices and stuff. And got a shiny new toy: a rather nice, powerful laptop with pretty much whatever development software I want and a choice of modern browsers and internet access.

Then on Monday I got pulled back onto what I've been doing for the last six months, which is maintaining and enhancing the system we're going to be replacing. A couple of bugs came in from System Test for the last thing I developed and no-one else had the knowledge and opportunity to fix them.

It just happens that the last thing I developed was some non-trivial changes to the calculation logic of the most horribly convoluted bit of code I've yet come across (and I've seen things in that codebase that'd make your power cord curl). It's several thousand lines of Oracle PL SQL, and if you don't know what that means I'll just tell you that SQL isn't like anything else.

Despite having spent many, many hours painstakingly stepping through this rockin' fun zone, I still didn't fully understand what I was messing with when I finished development on this change, so my heart really sank at the thought that I'd got it wrong and would have to go back to it.

First bug turned out to be exactly as designed, so I rejected it, only to have it reopened because the requirements I'd coded to were declared wrong. I knew this would happen. I knew it because I started out by coding to the actual documented requirements against which the testers were preparing their tests. I was ordered at final code review to change it, and I can't for the life of me remember what the reasoning was for why the actual requirements were wrong, because the alternative version essentially undid one of the other logic changes I'd implemented. Even if it had made sense, I voiced my concerns about the change being communicated to the testers, matching the documentation, and so forth, and the guy brushed me off. I privately gave it about a 99% chance of resulting in something exactly like this.

So we had a pow-wow and got this chap to agree that it made sense to do it the right way and I 'fixed' it back to the way it was in the first place. Although I made note of the circumstances in the defect log, it's been recorded permanently as a 'coding error' which hurts just a tiny bit.

Second defect, now that was a mysterious one. I spent a full day combing through the code to try and work out exactly what had happened. I finally figured it out, but I wasn't sure what the best way to fix it was and was just girding my loins for another long day or maybe two of wrestling with the Stored Procedure of Doom, when the fix for the other defect got deployed to the System Test environment. Lo and Behold, both defects vanished.

The description and evidence of the second defect had a couple of obvious mistakes in so I went to speak to the tester who'd found it to make certain that what I thought was the correct result wasn't just differently wrong. We established that there was a typo in the test data and the scenario they were trying to test was a completely different one. So the defect can be closed.

Why did it take me a day to work out that the data was wrong? Because the answer they were getting was still wrong for the incorrect data. We found that bug entirely by accident, and then I'd fixed it by accident as well, and it's not even going to end up on the books. Almost makes up for that 'coding error' resolution. Almost.

And I got to spend the rest of the day working with the shiny new stuff again after I'd resigned myself to the tender mercies of the SPoD.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby reallifegirl » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:39 pm

So I went to New York Comic Con for four days, from Thursday through Sunday. I took off work Thursday and Friday to attend, and took off Monday to recover from being exhausted. My boss & team knew where I was going.

Boss comes by my desk and asks how it was. I tell her I had a great time, and she asks to see a picture of how I dressed up.

I dressed up as two things: 1) Captain Boomerang, which meant basically a ski cap, a jacket, and some fake cuts on my face, and 2) This fucking thing:

So I showed her a photo of me as Boomerang, trying desperately to hide that I spent a couple dressed up like a nightmare creature smeared in greasepaint. She seemed pleased, then took my phone out of my hands and happily started scrolling.

Me: Erm...so yeah, it was a great time! Met a lot of cool people.

Her: Mm-hmm. (happily scrolling)

Me: I even got to see some of my favorite artists in panels...

Her: (happily scrolling)

She eventually gave the phone back after swiping through a few dozen photographs, and when I got it back, the phone was open to a shot of me dressed up a nightmare creature carrying around fake human body parts and smiling demonically.

Which is definitely a thing I wanted my boss to see me doing, especially a boss who probably already kind of thinks the whole Comic Con thing is kinda weird.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Twistappel » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:49 pm

reallifegirl wrote:... then took my phone out of my hands and happily started scrolling.

Why do people think it's OK to do that?

I mean, maybe I'm the weird one here, but I view a phone as kind of a private thing, that you shouldn't handle without its owner's permission.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby reallifegirl » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:54 pm

Sister Morphine wrote:
reallifegirl wrote:... then took my phone out of my hands and happily started scrolling.

Why do people think it's OK to do that?

I mean, maybe I'm the weird one here, but I view a phone as kind of a private thing, that you shouldn't handle without its owner's permission.

I have no idea, I'm in complete agreement. If it weren't my boss, I might have said something, but I've always really hated when people did this. Like, I didn't even like when my own mother used to do it, and it's especially weird in a work situation.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby ghijkmnop » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:08 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:48 pm

This is why the Second Amendment exists.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby cmsellers » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:50 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:This is why the Second Amendment exists.

Says the fellow from the country that won't even let its citizens carry knives.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:57 pm

We can carry knives, but only if we have a proper reason to do so rather than explicitly as a weapon. Knives with "a folding blade of 3 inches or less" are not restricted.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

PreviousNext