Not So Guilty Pleasures

Discussion, in general

Re: Not So Guilty Pleasures

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:06 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:I like Pink Floyd despite never taking LSD or any of it's derivatives. I like Portishead despite not being an emotionally disturbed fifteen year old girl. And I like Duran Duran ... that's it, I just like them.

Why is Pink Floyd a guilty pleasure? I fucking LOVE classic rock (even shitty glam metal!), but Pink Floyd a guilty pleasure? That's like calling Foreigner the greatest rock band of all time (THEY AREN'T EVEN IN THE TOP 40). The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon are two of my favorite albums, and if I was trapped on a deserted island with a record player, Dark Side would be there with me (along with Sgt. Pepper, Exile on Main Street, Who's Next, Van Halen, Machine Head, Paranoid, Appetite for Destruction, Ten, and Led Zeppelin IV).

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby Kivutar » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:45 pm

I obsessively follow volleyball, mainly Iran's national mens team and the players.

I don't care what anybody says, it's a wonderful sport.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby ShuaiGuy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:04 pm

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:06 pm

AdricDePsycho wrote:
NathanLoiselle wrote:I like Pink Floyd despite never taking LSD or any of it's derivatives. I like Portishead despite not being an emotionally disturbed fifteen year old girl. And I like Duran Duran ... that's it, I just like them.

Why is Pink Floyd a guilty pleasure? I fucking LOVE classic rock (even shitty glam metal!), but Pink Floyd a guilty pleasure? That's like calling Foreigner the greatest rock band of all time (THEY AREN'T EVEN IN THE TOP 40). The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon are two of my favorite albums, and if I was trapped on a deserted island with a record player, Dark Side would be there with me (along with Sgt. Pepper, Exile on Main Street, Who's Next, Van Halen, Machine Head, Paranoid, Appetite for Destruction, Ten, and Led Zeppelin IV).

The Wall and Darkside of the Moon are prog-rock. I like stuff like Atom Heart Mother, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and A Saucerful of Secrets. It's a prerequisite to do some LSD or the like when listening to those albums. And Echoes would make a great soundtrack to Call of Duty. :)

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:08 am

AdricDePsycho wrote:
LegionofShrooms wrote:
NathanLoiselle wrote:I like Pink Floyd despite never taking LSD or any of it's derivatives.

I have not used any illicit substances in my life thus far, and I love the shit out of Pink Floyd. I'll actually sing "Wish You Were Here" to my little girl to calm her down when she's upset.

Why is Pink Floyd a guilty pleasure? [...] The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon are two of my favorite albums, and if I was trapped on a deserted island with a record player, Dark Side would be there with me (along with Sgt. Pepper, Exile on Main Street, Who's Next, Van Halen, Machine Head, Paranoid, Appetite for Destruction, Ten, and Led Zeppelin IV).

I'm asking the same question as Adric! I mean, really? Me too! We're four! Psychodelic and Prog periods equally!

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:50 am

It's because I've never done drugs! You just don't understand because you didn't have drugs. Your parents smoked all of 'em.

Don't judge me!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ShuaiGuy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:39 am

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:43 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:
AdricDePsycho wrote:

The Wall and Darkside of the Moon are prog-rock. I like stuff like Atom Heart Mother, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and A Saucerful of Secrets. It's a prerequisite to do some LSD or the like when listening to those albums. And Echoes would make a great soundtrack to Call of Duty. :)

The only one of those albums that I would consider NOT a guilty pleasure would be Piper, if only because of Syd Barrett. Echoes doesn't count as a guilty pleasure, because it's off of Meddle, which was when Pink Floyd finally got out of the post-Barret slump. Atom Heart Mother has at least 3 good songs (as does Saucerful of Secrets, More, Obscured by Clouds, and Ummagumma), so they might count as guilty pleasures, as well as everything they did after The Wall (The Final Cut, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Division Bell, plus that new one from last year).

I am a big Floyd fan, yes, in addition to many classic rock acts.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:46 am

ShuaiGuy wrote:WHAT IS RWBY!?

RWBY is an anime inspired web animation series made by Rooster Teeth. The animation, while not BAD, isn't the best, the writing starts off clichéd (it gets better), and the voice acting take a tiny bit to work (it gets better too). It also has some fucking awesome fight scenes. Plus the main character has a giant scythe that turns into a sniper rifle. And the show's title is pronounced RUBY (which is the main character's name). Oh, and the music IS AWESOME!!!

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby FireIsTheCleanser » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:35 am

The Big Bang Theory (I don't actually feel bad about liking it, but everyone else here does so I feel I should act the same way), original TBS comedies, Power Rangers (Dino Thunder was awesome and Jungle Fury had the best looking cast), The Bloodhound Gang, All About that Bass, Daniel Tosh, and being a little too much into ghosts and aliens and monsters and cryptids and the like.

I have a lot to be ashamed of...

"The juice could've gotten in my eyes, Dan. The spicy burrito juice."
FireIsTheCleanser
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Manic Hispanic

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:38 am

Count me in with the "likes The Big Bang Theory" gang. I also love me some cryptids and ghosties and unsolved mysteries.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby DjiboutiDan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:47 am

Ok, so I just binge watched the first season of RWBY to see what you guys were talking about. The animation is bad. The writing is worse. The characters were made in a cliche factory. The overall plot was made in a cliche factory built from the remains of other cliche factories. The short episode lengths force insane pacing that prevents any kind of real character development, and the 'mythology' is forced through silly exposition.

But this show is just flat out fun. They really do a lot of things right. The protagonist is the typical anime 'I'm a young person with great powers I'm only beginning to understand, but mysterious adults keep make vague statements about it' character, but they did her better than most animes. Normally that character is brooding, whiny, and spends most of the show figuring out how to get some self-esteem and stop being a little bitch (looking at you Shinji Ikari). But Ruby starts out confident and in control and is just generally likable all around (What can I say, I'm sucker for a girl with a scythe). Stylistically, I see what they wanted to do, and I like it, but lack of budget is killing them. The music is really good. The voice acting is pretty good, which is impressive considering the script, but each character's voice really matches the character. And the weapon variations are great. So far I haven't seen anyone with a weapon that made me think "well that's useless and stupid" (looking at you Bleach).

If they decide to do a season 3 and someone gives them a budget and an actual writer, this could turn into a really good show. I was watching the first episode of Season 2 while typing this and it's very strong.

Carrie wrote:But I suspect Dan will figure it out, because Dan’s apparently magic.
DjiboutiDan
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Bilge Rat

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:02 am

DjiboutiDan wrote:Ok, so I just binge watched the first season of RWBY to see what you guys were talking about. The animation is bad. The writing is worse. The characters were made in a cliche factory. The overall plot was made in a cliche factory built from the remains of other cliche factories. The short episode lengths force insane pacing that prevents any kind of real character development, and the 'mythology' is forced through silly exposition.

But this show is just flat out fun. They really do a lot of things right. The protagonist is the typical anime 'I'm a young person with great powers I'm only beginning to understand, but mysterious adults keep make vague statements about it' character, but they did her better than most animes. Normally that character is brooding, whiny, and spends most of the show figuring out how to get some self-esteem and stop being a little bitch (looking at you Shinji Ikari). But Ruby starts out confident and in control and is just generally likable all around (What can I say, I'm sucker for a girl with a scythe). Stylistically, I see what they wanted to do, and I like it, but lack of budget is killing them. The music is really good. The voice acting is pretty good, which is impressive considering the script, but each character's voice really matches the character. And the weapon variations are great. So far I haven't seen anyone with a weapon that made me think "well that's useless and stupid" (looking at you Bleach).

If they decide to do a season 3 and someone gives them a budget and an actual writer, this could turn into a really good show. I was watching the first episode of Season 2 while typing this and it's very strong.

It gets better in Season 2, trust me. The animation improves, and the episodes get longer, too. I still think the writing is pretty good, in an odd way. It's almost like an homage or tribute to those very cliches, and I like that a lot.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:12 am

I read Listverse (but only the interesting looking ones) basically every day.

Also, YouTubers. I love them, I'm subscribed to Shane Dawson, Grace Helbig, Good Mythical Morning, Lisbug, Catrific, Megan Batoon, WatchMojo, Jacksfilms, Cyanide & Happiness, Rebecca Black (yes, that one), HowToBasic, TheFineBros (and the React Channel), Hannah Hart, and Every Frame A Painting (although, he's not a usual YouTuber). I now realize that list is pretty freaking long. But really, the creativity, humor, and otherwise coolness they exhibit is totally worth being among their fans (hundreds of thousands of teenage girls, generally).

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:21 am

Fun fact: I edited for Listverse for a little while, and somewhere around here we have/had a member who is/was the head of editorial.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

PreviousNext