Not So Guilty Pleasures

Discussion, in general

Re: Not So Guilty Pleasures

Postby PSTN » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:30 am

Oh, also, a tip to any aspiring sci-fi writers. If your story is built around some fantastic new technology, don't have your characters stand around being all "Gee-whiz! This [whatever] sure did revolutionize our society!" Instead, try to think of the absolute most frivolous use of that technology conceivable. 99% of the time, you'll be absolutely correct about its eventual real life application.

If transporters are ever invented, that'll be the last day I ever shower or poop.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby LegionofShrooms » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:43 am

CarrieVS wrote:In the last year I have discovered that I am a Trekkie. That's not the 'guilty' pleasure.

I like Enterprise.

And The Original Series is my least favourite of all the series I've seen any of yet.

I'll just be leaving this here...

NathanLoiselle wrote:I like Pink Floyd despite never taking LSD or any of it's derivatives. I like Portishead despite not being an emotionally disturbed fifteen year old girl. And I like Duran Duran ... that's it, I just like them.

I have not used any illicit substances in my life thus far, and I love the shit out of Pink Floyd. I'll actually sing "Wish You Were Here" to my little girl to calm her down when she's upset.

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby EstebanColberto » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:34 am

Ok then...here it goes.

I think Dane Cook is funny.

*throws up hands* AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! Not the face! Not the face!

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:53 am

EstebanColberto wrote:Ok then...here it goes.

It's okay, I occasionally chuckle at Daniel Tosh.

Let he who is without lapses in good taste cast the first stone!

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:48 pm

ShuaiGuy wrote:
CarrieVS wrote:
And The Original Series is my least favourite of all the series I've seen any of yet.

I originally got into Star Trek via Voyager. And I'm struggling through to rewatch it (watching ALL Star Treks to see them all) now (to make sure I didn't miss a single episode growing up!). And TOS is easily the worst in my opinion.

I got into it via Enterprise, but just now there's a channel that's showing an episode each of TOS and TNG every weeknight. I think TNG is my favourite. I haven't seen anything of DS9 or Voyager yet - I do intend to go through the whole lot.

PSTN wrote:The man who writes about another time invariably ends up writing about his own time.

I never really got into TOS, and I think it's because it's about the future of the sixties, not the future of today.

^
Not having seen it when it was new, so not having the nostalgia factor, I smile at the naivety, but I know that as much as I try to write 'more accurately' about the future, it'll look the same in a few decades after the future starts to happen.

PSTN wrote:A tip to any aspiring sci-fi writers. If your story is built around some fantastic new technology, don't have your characters stand around being all "Gee-whiz! This [whatever] sure did revolutionize our society!" Instead, try to think of the absolute most frivolous use of that technology conceivable. 99% of the time, you'll be absolutely correct.

That is excellent advice.

LegionofShrooms wrote:Picard

I love Picard. I just love him so much. He's a good man, and he's just the sort of person who should be in command of a starship. Kirk's great and all, but first of all he's an action-hero more than a commander-in-chief, and most of all I just think that the character of Picard is so very perfect for the role that he's in.

The first episode of TNG I watched, they were investigating a planet with a 'primitive' culture (bows and arrows), and they accidentally
Spoiler: show
revealed themselves to the inhabitants, who took them to be gods. Now these people as a culture had stopped believing in any gods some time ago, but now they had 'proof' that their ancestral religion was correct. Everyone else wanted to just leave it, but Picard insisted that they put it right, even if that meant explaining that they were aliens with advanced technology.

But the people and one hot-head in particular wouldn't believe it. So Picard stood there and told this hot-head, with his bow and arrow: if he thought he was a god, shoot him, and if it was true then he'd be fine. And he meant it, and he stood there and was shot. I mean, he must have known that there was at least a very good chance that he wouldn't be killed outright and with their technology he'd be ok, but I don't think he was counting on that. From that moment I just loved him.

Kirk willingly puts himself in danger because he's convinced he'll come through. Picard is ready to make the sacrifice, and I find that so much more powerful.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:16 pm

- Texting while driving.

- Eating while talking on a cell phone.

- Not giving money to the homeless while also screaming at them.

- Telling fat acceptance activists they look like they lost weight.

- Writing "first" as a comment.

- Embezzlement.

- Nickleback.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby sunglasses » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:32 pm

Hmmm, I believe we need to call in an exorcist for Tesseracts. I believe she's been possessed.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:23 pm

I like to prowl around the neighbourhood in the early morning, gargling people's freshly delivered milk and backwashing it back into the bottle before replacing the cap and slinking off into the gloom.

I feel not a shred of guilt over this hobby though, so I'm not sure if it qualifies for this thread.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:10 pm

PSTN wrote:I never really got into TOS, and I think it's because it's about the future of the sixties, not the future of today.

That's it exactly. The sixties were a very optimistic time. We were going to conquer space and eliminate war and live in peace and prosperity and Boldly Go! Science fiction now is a lot more cynical and pessimistic. Perhaps fiction in general - all those gritty superhero reboots and whatnot. And that's reflective of the way we feel about the future of our species, i.e. that we're fucked. In comparison TOS feels hopelessly naive.

However, that fun and excitement is what I'm going for with my thingy I'm writing.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby ShuaiGuy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:10 pm

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby EstebanColberto » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Ceiling_Squid wrote:
EstebanColberto wrote:Ok then...here it goes.

It's okay, I occasionally chuckle at Daniel Tosh.

Let he who is without lapses in good taste cast the first stone!

Since I made my little confession. I feel like I should make an an addendum to explain myself.

Here's my top 5 favorite comedians.

1. Patton Oswalt
2. Brian Posehn
3. David Cross
4. Kathleen Madigan
5. Louis C.K.

Top 3 is dominated by super nerds. Kathleen Madigan is just, look I'm from the Midwest, Kathleen is like the Voltron of snarky Midwestern women over pronouncing their vowels and saying funny shit. And Louis C.K. is, Louis C.K. I don't need to explain why he's on my list, I need to explain why he's 5. If there was a championship title for comedians, George Carlin held it for decades and Louis C.K. is the successor, he's still five on my list though cause I'm a fucking nerd, Patton wins!

Back to why I like Dane Cook though. Not everything has to be Shakespeare ok! Do you like musicals with shitty stories and unlikeable characters but awesome songs? Me too! I love Rent! I also like Dane Cook! Fuck all y'all!

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:25 pm

ShuaiGuy wrote:
CarrieVS wrote:I got into it via Enterprise, but just now there's a channel that's showing an episode each of TOS and TNG every weeknight. I think TNG is my favourite. I haven't seen anything of DS9 or Voyager yet - I do intend to go through the whole lot.

DS9 is hugely popular among some people, but I think it's pretty weak in a lot of ways. My biggest gripe is the Mary Sue (in my opinion) characters. I won't try and ruin it for you though :P Maybe I'm just a bitter old man, but the only one that's been holding up to me is TNG. Voyager has its moments, but I find myself shouting at the screen about how stupid people are acting more often than not, which is a bad thing.

I liked the original series because it's entertaining, even if it's not "good" (to me), and I liked TNG, mostly for Data. I really don't like DS9. My boyfriend is a huge Star Trek fan so I agreed to watch them with him. When we started DS9, I wasn't too keen on it but everyone was like "It'll get better!" so I kept trying. For me personally it got worse as it went along to the point that I kind of really hate it now.

Not saying you will, just talking about personal taste

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:35 pm

DS9 is alright. I'm a bit of a sucker for deconstructions.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby sunglasses » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:46 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:DS9 is alright. I'm a bit of a sucker for deconstructions.

I enjoyed the Quark-Odo bromance.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:59 pm

I like RWBY (I still think the writing, while clichéd, is actually pretty good. Some times you need a little cliché), My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and Godzilla movies (mainly the original Showa movies). Oh, and I like The Big Bang Theory (FUCK YOUR NERD BLACKFACE ACCUSATIONS).

Last edited by AdricDePsycho on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

PreviousNext