The New Phonebook is Here!

Discussion, in general

The New Phonebook is Here!

Postby LaoWai » Tue May 07, 2013 8:36 pm

What are the stupid, oft-deemed insignificant little things that bring you joy on a regular basis? Sometimes the most mundane happening can be the source of a ridiculously disproportionate sense of bliss. What's your new phonebook?

For myself, I got a new toothbrush today, and I'm enjoying that new-toothbrush-smooth feel.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Re: The New Phonebook is Here!

Postby BobTheZombie » Tue May 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Well getting thumbs up is a bit like a drug but everyone on here probably feels like that so my new phone book would be when I get post. Since I don't have bills or anything I almost never get post. When the bank sends out my bank statement every year I get a giddy feeling seeing my name on the envelope. Then one day my mother 'accidently' opened up my letter by mistake. She stole my thunder like Daniel Plainview drinking milkshake.

"Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier!" - Virginia from Dragonzball P
BobTheZombie
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Pessimistic Optimist

Postby HarpingCarp » Tue May 07, 2013 9:03 pm

I got my new wireless mouse delivered to me today. I ordered it two days ago. It was neatly packaged, and the delivery guy had the exact change. I ripped the first cardboard layer open, and there it was. You already know it don't you? You can sense it.

Bubblewrap. Glorious Bubblewrap. It cost me 34 minutes. But it was soooo totally worth it.

Kate threatened me to take it down. I need an adult.

Spoiler: show
<Kateness> Carp
<Kateness> Change your damn sig.
<Kateness> Hate Week's over
<Kateness> I swear to God I'll start editing links to your indiscretion with a pirate, in everything.
HarpingCarp
In The Soul Stone
In The Soul Stone

Show rep
Title: The Carpfather

Postby Australia » Tue May 07, 2013 9:06 pm

This is going to sound pathetic but when a friend gets laid.

It never happens for me so it's nice to know it's happening for someone. I don't really like getting into the whole description conversation, locker room talk but just hearing it in passing, I just feel like, way to go, man. Wish I had your luck/skill/face.

*removes bubblewrap addition because HarpingCarp beat me to it*

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Peryite » Thu May 09, 2013 2:27 am

Oh, I've got tons of these. Here, in no particular order:

When the walk light comes on just as you approach the crosswalk.
When a sticker or label comes off cleanly.
When downloading a mod/piece of software, or installing a new piece or hardware, and it goes smoothly.
Clean wash.
Palindromes.
Containers of, say, yogurt, when they're new have had a single scoop taken from them and have this one perfect, smooth crater.
When someone is running for the bus and they catch it.
Things that fit together perfectly, but not because they were made that way, like with puzzles, but by accident.
When people speak softly.
Watching someone skillfully doing something, anything from things like painting or working with clay, to just wrapping a gift or stamping library books.

That's all I can think of for now. Some of those seem so weird when writing them down...

Peryite
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Post-Modernist

Postby Sekhmet » Fri May 10, 2013 9:18 am

This will sound really girly and I will start out by saying that I know I don’t need makeup and I do it for myself, not others. Now that I have added that, on to the topic at hand.

One of those moments is when I can do both eyes so that they look the same and just how I want. I like a heavy artistic look that I change every day and I can never get them to look identical. I am happy if they aren’t the same but I will admit that when it is just right I do have a bit of a spring in my step.

On a less girly note, even though I am in my 20s I still love to build a Lego set. I recently bought one for myself and I was downright giddy on the drive home.

So remember, If the women don’t find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy. –Red Green
Sekhmet
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Fri May 10, 2013 1:14 pm

Australia wrote:This is going to sound pathetic but when a friend gets laid.

It never happens for me so it's nice to know it's happening for someone. I don't really like getting into the whole description conversation, locker room talk but just hearing it in passing, I just feel like, way to go, man. Wish I had your luck/skill/face.

Wow, I'm the total opposite Aussie, I hate it when my friends get laid. Even if they're married, which is just a poor excuse anyway. As far as I'm concerened there's only so much sex in the world, and they're all hogging it. SHARING IS CARING PEOPLE!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Nullbert » Fri May 10, 2013 4:04 pm

When the hobo at the end of the road remembers my name.
Waking up late and panicking, thinking it's Friday, only to remember that it's the weekend.

Nullbert
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: British Bastard

Postby ButtChocolate » Fri May 10, 2013 5:15 pm

It happens when I'm counting something out, or measuring something. Before I *actually* count or measure, I just grab an arbitrary handfull or stack of whatever it is, or make a pencil mark where I just *think* I should [cut a piece of wood or paper or whatever] and then I count or measure and find out... HOLY SHIT, I WAS RIGHT ON THE MONEY WITHOUT EVEN TRYING TO BE! Like if I needed a stack of 57 pieces of paper, and I automatically grab 57 sheets of paper on my very first try...! Or if I need to cut some material to be 3 and 5/16 inches, so I just guess and make a mark- and when I get a ruler it's RIGHT AT 3 and 5/16 inches! I LOVE when that happens!

Right then and there, I get the feeling that the whole fucking UNIVERSE just aligned and was channeled through my hands, for the sole purpose of allowing me to instinctively analyze, measure, and quantify the materials or objects in front of me- to be in tune with them. I am they, and they are me! It feels like a goddamn superpower...! I want to just start running up to people and SUPERGUESSTIMATING whatever they're doing!

"Hey! Don't bother hitting that Word Count command in MS Word! You have 2,347 words in that document... you're welcome."
"Hey! You! Construction guy! Yeah, you! You're off by 3/16 inches! You cut that framing beam there, you'll have a shimming nightmare on your hands!!!"
"Don't bother weighing this bag of produce at the register. It's exactly 6.27 lbs of apples. Trust me."

But alas, the power fades as instantly as it came to me. The universe only teases me with just a glimpse of my full potential. I desperately grasp at a pile of pennies to try to kickstart this mutant ability and keep it going. "Uh, Uh, 73 cents...!" *counts handfull* "FUCK! IT'S ONLY 64 CENTS! DAMMIT! DAMMIT!!!" I hang my head, defeated. The power is gone, and I am once again only a normal human being. Perhaps someday, though, in our darkest hour... when it's needed most... the Universe will allow the power to flow back into me and save us all. "There are 58,729 jelly beans in that jar... Mr. President."

"Comb" ~ Typical Michael
ButtChocolate
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Sausage King of Chicago

Postby D-LOGAN » Fri May 10, 2013 7:19 pm

That little nod you get when you're driving and you let someone go ahead even though you have right of way. It's not much, but it's always pleasant. Little acknowledgement you've done something nice, however small. And it's so universal in that everyone and anyone does it no matter who they are. Cause generally most folks would rather do you a good turn than a bad.
Course the flipside of it is, when they don't do it, it's like a kick in the teeth. Like, what, I'm not good enough for even a mild tilt of your skull? That's too much to ask! It's not like I'm asking for the heart of your first born son served on a golden plate, in return for letting you move your vehicle before mine! Just a tiny non-verbal gesture of thanks is all. You're what's wrong with the world pal. You personally are why the apes are right to be secretly plotting our downfall!

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Fri May 10, 2013 8:50 pm

To add one, watching a guy work at what I'd call a so-so job that he clearly thinks is great. At the local Lanzhou shop, there's a guy who nearly does a dance of joy when it's time to make new noodles, and he grins and grins the whole time he's making them. I actually am incapable of ordering a rice dish at that place, just because the noodles seem to make the guy so happy.

(Sorry, I was going to link to a video of a guy "pulling noodles," but the only 拉面videos I can get ahold of here have really annoying ads; try plugging those characters into YouTube, and you might pull up something.)

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby Australia » Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 pm

D-LOGAN wrote:
Australia wrote:This is going to sound pathetic but when a friend gets laid.

Wow, I'm the total opposite Aussie, I hate it when my friends get laid. Even if they're married, which is just a poor excuse anyway. As far as I'm concerened there's only so much sex in the world, and they're all hogging it. SHARING IS CARING PEOPLE!

Hey, you're right. To hell with them! And if I kill them, I'll have better odds. That's how this whole sex thing works, right?

I may be solving the puzzle of why it never happens for me.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby D-LOGAN » Fri May 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Not quite Aussie, you see it's not enough just to kill em, you need to eat their hearts to absorb their sexiness, and then the world is yours....

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Fri May 10, 2013 10:30 pm

Okay guys, this is awesome.

My keyboard glows electric blue. It glows blue through the keys, so the key labels light up electric blue. It's the coolest thing!

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Glassjaw Girl » Sat May 11, 2013 9:21 am

I love collecting Transformers rubber stampers and the Toy Kingdom here sells them cheaply. Each one features a Transformer toy on top and the stamper either imprints the outline of that Transformer or either the Autobot or Decepticon symbol. You can't open the tiny boxes to see what the rubber stamper looks like, and I really get a kick out of opening one and seeing that it's a Decepticon. Wheeee!

On a girly note I like catching my reflection on a mirror or some other reflective surface and see that my lips are not too pale, because most of the time they are too pale. Sometimes my mum even tells me to wear lipstick AT HOME because they get really freaking pale.

I like it when I switch the Shuffle On on my iPod and the first song it plays is one of my favorites. I think it's pretty cool that out of all the songs in it, it happens to play a much-loved tune.

I love blowing bubbles.

Glassjaw Girl
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Communications Commander

Next