Strange Encounters

Discussion, in general

Re: Strange Encounters

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:26 pm

AveryGlendale wrote:
Edgar Cabrera wrote:Isn't it the "Penis removal" page? Using Ctrl+F I found that it mentions the word "knife" 24 times, and mentions at least two cases involving razors.

Maize had messaged me about that page, to which I replied:
AveryGlendale wrote:Yes and no. Originally, the list was its own separate page, but it would seem at some point they got merged. I didn't know that happened, though, because when the list was first removed there was no list on the original.

Thanks for finding it, though!

I never got around to checking the subject again though, so thanks to you two for fulfilling my burning curiosity on the subject of removed penises.

Yeah, when I found the page I suspected that the list was merged from its own separate page, considering that the cases from 1980s onwards are heavily detailed.

Anyways, you're welcome.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby Arkyle » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:35 pm

This is actually my sisters story, but when I was really little, we lived in a fairly large house in a rural area. My sister swears blind that one evening, when she came home from the movies quite late, there was a couple walking down the pathway from our house to the garden gate. They were dressed in early 1900's suit and dress. She thought it was someone who had come to visit my folks, but when she turned back from saying goodbye to her boyfriend, they were gone. After that day, she refused to sit at our kitchen table facing the windows, as she swears she occasionally saw the lady walking on our back patio.

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby DjiboutiDan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:32 pm

When I was in Home Depot a few months back I walked past two people who had a dog strapped into a stroller. Ok, a little odd, but not that crazy. When I turned the corner into the next aisle I saw a portly man with a bass guitar strapped to his back staring at screws. Not a guitar in a case or anything. Just a bass guitar slung around his shoulder as if he was about to whip it around and start playing in the middle of the hardware store. I've been back to that Home Depot several times and while I have seen many dogs (Home Depot is pet friendly I guess?), I'm yet to see anyone else with a musical instrument.

Carrie wrote:But I suspect Dan will figure it out, because Dan’s apparently magic.
DjiboutiDan
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Bilge Rat

Postby Tuli » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:59 pm

The strangest encounters that come to mind were when random people in China wanted to take pictures with me just because I'm white. It happened more than once, like just on the street or at sightseeing spots... I felt like a minor celebrity, honestly. There's so few white/black foreigners in China (especially when it's not Beijing or Shanghai) that some people get really excited when they see one.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby Delta Jim » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:10 pm

One rainy morning in spring of 2010 I was walking to class.

As I neared the building I was approached by a man in a beige trench coat and matching fedora. He handed me a small, leather bound Bible and disappeared as quickly as he appeared. When I got to class I was relieved to hear that I wasn't the only one to have it happen.

The man kind of looked like The Mysterious Stranger.

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:12 pm

Was the Bible red by any chance? And was it the whole thing or just New Testament?

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Merry Jane » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:15 pm

[

Last edited by Merry Jane on Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merry Jane
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Delta Jim » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:27 pm

CarrieVS wrote:Was the Bible red by any chance? And was it the whole thing or just New Testament?

No, it was green and the whole thing.

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby cmsellers » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:32 pm

Merry Jane wrote:That's so funny Tuli, I would have felt so awkward. I had a curly haired friend who went to China once. People were so fascinated by her hair they kept asking if they could touch it. Some didn't even ask and just shoved their hand in there

That's the same experience my brother had when we visited China, except that it was usually people looking briefly at my parents, assuming that constituted consent, and rubbing his red hair. Also handing them their cameras and standing next to him.

We also had similar reactions to my father, who is 6'2" and was quite fat at the time. In Xi'an one little boy grabbed his jacket, pulled it open, and declared "you big!"

I experienced no such reactions; I guess a chubby blond kid isn't that interesting when you have a giant and a ginger to gawk at.

Though when I went to Georgia, I did have several people comment in awe at how pale my skin was. I guess the way that the Russians like to call Caucasians "blackasses" is still a sore point over there.

David Wong wrote:7. "But this is the last non-terrible forum on the internet! The rest are full of trolls and Nazis!"

That's just not true at all.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Tuli » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:48 pm

Merry Jane wrote:That's so funny Tuli, I would have felt so awkward. I had a curly haired friend who went to China once. People were so fascinated by her hair they kept asking if they could touch it. Some didn't even ask and just shoved their hand in there

Hah, that reminds me of the first time I went to a hair salon in China. My friend was getting a haircut and there were like 3-4 hairdressers/trainees hovering around her at all times! There was also the division of labor... One guy washed the hair, one did the head massage, one cut the hair and one did the final polish. (I should mention that this was not some fancy expensive salon.) Also all the hairdressers had what I term 'anime/kpop hair', which was pretty strange in itself.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:51 pm

Delta Jim wrote:
CarrieVS wrote:Was the Bible red by any chance? And was it the whole thing or just New Testament?

Uhuh. Cause there's a society dedicated to giving out little red New Testaments. They give them out in hospitals and schools, and give them to hotels to put in all their rooms. I wondered if they'd started giving them out in the street too. Guess not.

...Huh, they actually have all kinds of colours, depending on where they give them out. So only the ones given to schoolchildren are red.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby DjiboutiDan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:12 pm

Delta Jim wrote:

When I was in college, every so often a group of Mormons would stand on one of the main sidewalks and hand out little green bibles to people. One day I took one thinking I'd read it for fun. Instead, I ended up using it to plug a hole in our attic. And that's the short version of how I ended a 6-month war with squirrels using the power of Jesus Christ. The long version involves a crazy landlord who may or may not have been in the Egyptian mafia, philosophical debates with a man waving a chainsaw, and the death of a beautiful old tree.

Carrie wrote:But I suspect Dan will figure it out, because Dan’s apparently magic.
DjiboutiDan
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Bilge Rat

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:19 pm

Write it up for us and stick it to The Fridge, it sounds fascinating.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby SilverMaple » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:09 am

CarrieVS wrote:Write it up for us and stick it to The Fridge, it sounds fascinating.

Pretty please? You can't just leave us hanging like that!

Bert wrote:The best part of my job is fistfighting an 8 year old every day.

//Friend come and go, like the wave in the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on our face.\\
SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Nerd of a Feather

Postby cmsellers » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:55 am

This evening when I was at the grocery store, a young black man approached me with a sob story that I initially thought was going to lead up to a panhandle.

He had been brought to Austin on some summer program to work for a magazine company with the promise that he would be working in customer service, and then when they got him here the had him working in sales. He refused to do it, so they kicked him out of the program and his housing. He had been asking people in Austin for a ride to a hostel where he was going to stay until his parents could send him money, and everyone refused, with one even calling him a "porch monkey."

"So you just need a ride?" I asked him.

He confirmed, and I drove him the fourteen blocks to his hostel. I assumed he would ask me for money, or to pay for his hostel for the night, and prepared myself to tell him I was very sorry, but...

However he asked for neither, it seems he really did just want a ride. Fourteen blocks is a long way to walk in the Austin August heat, but if I had been in his shoes I would have started walking it anyways, even with luggage. And that is another thing: I realized after I dropped him off that he had no bags of any sort.

I talked with him a bit on the way, he is from Boston but his family moved to Virginia a few years ago. He said he called the cops on the company but was told what they did was just this side of legal. I told him that I had no idea what his agreement said and whether Texas or Massachusetts law would apply, but it was worth asking r/legaladvice whether it was worth hiring a lawyer to sue for damages and got the very distinct impression he would not do that.

My best guess is that he actually did work for a magazine, most likely an online clickbaity magazine, and was testing how white people in Austin react when a young black man asks for a ride, but I really don't know.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Previous