The Tea and Coffee Thread (Previously TEA!)

Discussion, in general

Re: The Tea and Coffee Thread (Previously TEA!)

Postby Matthew Notch » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:54 am

Don't sweat it, Sellers. My wife is the same way. She says that alcohol tastes like metal, to her. Is that strange? I've never met anyone else affected by it that way. Anyway, it's cool for me because when someone makes her a drink, hey, free drink for me.

RainyDays wrote:My dad has been talking for a while about wanting to take up beekeeping.

We have been thinking about it too, since my wife does so much gardening, and also because it seems like the more beekeepers there are, the better shot we have at not losing them all forever. There are often hives for free on Craigslist, and the boxes and stuff can also be found cheaply there. Also, I use honey constantly, in most of my cooking. If a recipe calls for sugar, I reach for honey. It just has this beautiful, fully developed signature in everything it goes into, like eating a flower.

Oh, I suppose I should say something about tea and coffee. Um, they're both okay I guess. Coffee tastes an awful lot like burnt water unless you add stuff to it, but I have acquired a taste for coffee black. I just don't choose that very often. Tea, I prefer, no joke, Earl Grey, hot. I can drink it straight up, but since it already tastes like drinking a flower a little bit, why not add the aforementioned honey and just go whole hog with it?

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:23 am

I generally prefer coffee with milk and at least two teaspoons of sugar (and sometimes alcohol).

SilverMaple wrote:I'd highly recommend getting a London Fog if you come across a place that sells them; they are essentially half an hour of delicious foamy bliss (if you can make it last that long). The cafe at my university makes really good ones, but I don't get them very often because they cost like 4 bucks. Not sure how hard they are to make, although a homemade one might not be as good due to the fact that I don't have one of those milk frother things (not sure what they're actually called).

I've never heard of a London Fog; is it any of these drinks?

I've always compared most spirits to what I imagine paint thinner tastes like (though that usually doesn't stop me from having them, usually mixed with something). Suffice to say I'm not much of a whiskey person. I usually stick with rum and Coke or any other dark soda that's around (I found out at a party few years ago that rum goes well with root beer, and I've tried it with a bunch of other sodas since then).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:54 am

I'm a fan of Cottage Coffee. What's Cottage Coffee you ask? Well I'll tell you imaginary voice in my head. Cottage Coffee is any type of alcohol you happen to have in the house poured into a coffee cup and drunken at the cottage. You drink it straight with no ice. My preferred coffee blend is Canadian rye.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby RainyDays » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:49 am

Matthew Notch wrote:We have been thinking about it too, since my wife does so much gardening, and also because it seems like the more beekeepers there are, the better shot we have at not losing them all forever.

About the only things holding my dad back at this point are concerns that the dog is going to bother the bees and get stung in his mouth, and that the cantankerous neighbor is going to kick up a fuss about it, but we'll see. I think it would be awesome. If you and your wife take it up, you should let us know how it goes!

As for alcohol, I'm right there with you, cmsellers. Don't like the taste, and I'm a total lightweight on top of that. But I like trying new things, and people like giving me drinks to try because apparently I make very funny faces when I try them.

I generally prefer my coffee with milk, though I'll take it black if the mood strikes. And I'll second Kate and say coffee is really good with a scoop of ice cream if it's handy. The only times I put milk in tea are if it's black tea, and I'm also adding honey.

RainyDays
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep

Postby NotCIAAgent » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:55 am

I can't bring myself to enjoy tea. The texture, it feels like an infusion (well, it is), which makes it a bit hard for me to swallow, and the flavor underwhelming to my taste, to say the least. Sure, maybe is because I never drunk any fancy tea, so who knows?

Now, I do enjoy some coffe quite a bit, and that's for sure, though I like mixing mine's with milk and some (cheap) chocolate. Is no cappuccino, but is what we can afford, and it is pretty good.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby cmsellers » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:18 am

NotCIAAgent wrote:Now, I do enjoy some coffe quite a bit, and that's for sure, though I like mixing mine's with milk and some (cheap) chocolate. Is no cappuccino, but is what we can afford, and it is pretty good.

That's a mocha you're describing.
Even I will happily drink a mocha, and I certainly don't consider myself a coffee drinker.

David Wong wrote:7. "But this is the last non-terrible forum on the internet! The rest are full of trolls and Nazis!"

That's just not true at all.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby SilverMaple » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:08 am

jbobsully11 wrote:
I've never heard of a London Fog; is it any of these drinks?

Nope, more like this. Although I wouldn't necessarily object to a bit of booze in there either...

Bert wrote:The best part of my job is fistfighting an 8 year old every day.

//Friend come and go, like the wave in the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on our face.\\
SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Nerd of a Feather

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:57 am

Oh man. I had a double affogato tonight myself. Two scoops of ice cream and four shots of espresso. Wooo! Okay, well time to get to sleep. Good night everybody!

*stays awake for seven more hours*

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby MisterKrinkle » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:15 pm

I don't really take the time or resources to look for good teas, so recently I've been on a kava kick. I mix it with some nutmeg and a little bit of cinnamon and go to town. Also has the added benefit of chilling me right the hell out while still fulfilling my... legal obligations.

As far as coffee goes, getting a 1.69 20oz cappuccino at the gas station was my morning routine for many moons. Black coffee is just too bitter for my taste buds.

Stay classy
MisterKrinkle
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Chef Krinkle

Postby sunglasses » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:43 pm

MisterKrinkle wrote:I don't really take the time or resources to look for good teas, so recently I've been on a kava kick. I mix it with some nutmeg and a little bit of cinnamon and go to town. Also has the added benefit of chilling me right the hell out while still fulfilling my... legal obligations.

As far as coffee goes, getting a 1.69 20oz cappuccino at the gas station was my morning routine for many moons. Black coffee is just too bitter for my taste buds.

Just your friendly neighborhood nurse saying please be careful with kava. It has caused liver failure in the past.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby MisterKrinkle » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:35 am

sunglasses wrote:Just your friendly neighborhood nurse saying please be careful with kava. It has caused liver failure in the past.

So what you're telling me is, throwing in a couple shots of vodka is a bad idea?

I jest, I jest. Warning is appreciated Sunny

Stay classy
MisterKrinkle
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Chef Krinkle

Postby DomaDoma » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:57 am

Sugar for herbal tea, milk for tea proper, and for coffee, a bit of both. These are my rules.

Incidental note, deliberately vagued up: I once got absolutely enraged at a comic book character because a girlfriend of his mentioned how he took his coffee while trying to prod him into a deeper commitment. He was seeing this lady behind the back of his live-in girlfriend, for purely utilitarian purposes that involved facilitating a whole lot of murder, and shortly after this conversation she outlived her usefulness and got burned alive, but nope, it was the coffee part that set me off.

Calves are easily bound and slaughtered,
Never knowing the reason why,
But whoever treasures freedom,
Like the swallow, must learn to fly.
DomaDoma
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Future Alik'r

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:46 am

So here's a video I just found that I thought would be appropriate for the thread:

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby DashaBlade » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:11 am

Resurrecting this thread just to say this.

I don't like coffee. I like tea.

That is all.

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cat Lady

Postby JamishT » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:20 am

A very rapid skimming of the threads, besides being a euphemism for over the clothes masturbation, lets me know that this hasn't been said yet:

Starbucks is awful at chai.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

PreviousNext