Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby Absentia » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:18 am

I honestly thought I'd never live to see the day. I'm in shock. I've never seen one of my teams win a title in anything. I'm not sure what to do next.

It's bittersweet because my father should have been able to see it too. It would have meant even more to him.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:19 am

I heard Tiger Woods won The Masters (it's a golf tournament, nothing to do with baters) and quickly checked the calendar because I knew it was April but was it still the first day?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby JamishT » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:36 am

I recently got YouTube TV, splitting it with a housemate, and suddenly I have a bunch a live TV available. I was off from work on Friday and found myself watching The Masters and getting into it, especially because of Tiger. I don't know much about golf (I used to play an golf game on our Apple IIc and in GTA V, and that's about it), but I can appreciate skilled shots and putting!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Pedgerow » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:24 am

The Women's World Cup has been on for the past couple of weeks, and there are still a few matches left if anyone wants to check it out and hasn't yet. It's absolutely outstanding. Having just watched England face the USA in the first semi-final, I have never been so proud of a losing team in my life. They gave it their all, in a way that I have never seen the England men do, ever. Of course, they lost, so bummer if you're English and would suddenly like to watch it, but there's always the third-place playoff on Saturday. And besides, most of you are American, so your team is still in it, you bastards.

The USA are the favourites to take the trophy, too, which is probably very nice if you don't hate them as I do. They really come across as being like the bad guys in a teenage comedy; they're all popular cheerleaders, beloved by all the kids in school (but despised by everyone watching the film; isn't that weird?). So my hatred for the USA women's football team is intense, but all the other teams are nice enough people.

Also, now that we're in the last stages of the tournament, the comedy results have stopped happening. Women's football is still pretty niche, and there aren't enough good teams to host a full World Cup with all good teams. This year's unfortunate victims were Thailand, who you might have heard were thumped 13-0 by the wicked Americans, but past World Cups have also featured such inexplicable non-powerhouses as Sierra Leone, Ecuador (beaten 6-0 and then 10-0 in 2015), and Equatorial Guinea. But that's not to say the Women's World Cup is always won by the usual suspects: if you're sick of the same men's teams winning all the time, it's honestly very refreshing to see that Argentina are ranked 50th in the world while Norway and Japan are two of the greatest teams on Earth.

In my experience, England stop winning once the public at large starts showing an interest in women's football, so by all means don't watch it if you don't want to. But now that England are going to finish either third or fourth, instead of eternal glorious #1, this is the time to get involved if you don't want to wait four years for the next tournament. And you will have to wait: I've tried watching women's league football, which happens every year, and it's just not the same. There's a limit to just how contrarian I can be with my sporting tastes, and this is clearly it.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:53 pm

So the Houston Astros were found guilty of stealing signs during their 2017 championship season. They had an employee of the team in the replay room watching monitors and relaying what the catcher signaled to the pitcher as what to throw by banging on a metal trash can with a bat.

They forfeited the title, the manager of the team was banned from the sport, players were suspended, and the team will have a black cloud around it for years.

Click spoiler for the rest of the story:

Spoiler: show
I'm just kidding! They're still the champs even if they cheated, c'mon what's a little cheating? The manager (bench coach) and general manager (roster builder) got one year suspensions and were also fired by the team. Not a single player is going to face repercussions because the union is FINE WITH THEIR MEMBERS CHEATING TO WIN. And the team has to pay a whopping $5 million fine that I'm sure they won't recoup by raising ticket and food prices.

I guess the only good news imo to come out of this is (from the article:

In addition, former Astros assistant GM Brandon Taubman, who was dismissed by the club in October after he made offensive and insensitive comments directed at a group of female reporters at the conclusion of the American League Championship Series on Oct. 19, 2019, "shall be ineligible to perform services on behalf of any Major League club, either as an employee or independent contractor."

This alphachad assistant general manager saw a group of female reporters and started yelling "I'm so fucking glad we got Ocuna" which only makes sense if you know that the player he was referring to was suspended the prior year for domestic violence.

After that story was published the team responded with this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHcvIdRXkAAm7Rx.jpg

Previous reports were hoping for him to be suspended.

Banned for life. Later Chad, gtfo!

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:55 pm

Please file this one under: smh. Oh and I made a copy I'm going to file under: jfc.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/288 ... cal-mix-up

Barry Sanders was an NFL running back in the 80's and 90's. He is a hall of famer. He wore the number 20 on his jersey and only played for the Detroit Lions whose uniforms have afaik always been blue and silver.

Garth Brooks wore a Barry Sanders jersey recently at a concert and Trump fanboys didn't take kindly to it.

Blue? 20? Sanders? He's obviously sending a political message. :roll:

Yet the right gets off on calling people snowflakes? K.

Imagine being triggered by someone wearing a throwback jersey of a person who shares an alma mater with them.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:00 pm

RIP NASCAR

From the article:

Auto-racing giant NASCAR said Wednesday that it is banning the display of the Confederate flag at all of its events and properties.

I expect there will be many an undershirt bearing the Confederate flag at future NASCAR events. Along with belt buckles that were not visible when entering the venue.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Previous