Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:33 pm

The brawl at UFC 229 is a fairly clear vindication of the phrase "what goes around comes around". Conor and his team's extremely antagonistic behaviour towards Khabib and his team made it personal and brought about all the hostility that eventually resulted in violence. It doesn't absolve Khabib at all, but there's no denying this wouldn't have happened had Conor and co not brought so much personal insult into the fight buildup.
This was also a rare fight for Khabib without his father at cageside. I'm not sure if Khabib himself would have acted differently, he was really worked up from the fight and everything, but his cornermen absolutely would not have jumped into the cage if Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov managed to get a visa. You don't fuck around when he's beside you.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Don't you dare go Hollow.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:43 pm

Khabib firing shots:

I would like to address @ufc
Why didn't you fire anyone when their team attacked the bus and injured a couple of people?

I'm no fan of playing favorites. The UFC should be a meritocracy like any good sporting body.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Anglerphobe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:44 pm

The UFC is a meritocracy, it's just that everyone is measured on their ability to sell tickets and pay-per-view buys first and foremost. The brass will probably want to throw out some bullshit suspensions so they seem to be doing something but all of this material is going straight into the video editing room ready for the inevitable rematch.

For similar reasons, it looks like we're getting the fattest ever world title fight as Derrick Lewis challenges Daniel Cormier for the heavyweight world championship on the MSG card next month. Lewis just took a fourteen and a half minute shitkicking at the hands of Alexander Volkov and technically won't be medically cleared to compete by the NSAC until a week after the championship bout. I'm not sure why they didn't offer the fight to Curtis Blaydes, who is in shape with a fight booked at the end of the month and hasn't had the fuck beaten out of him recently. All they would have to do was add Francis Ngannou to the list of fighters who have been screwed over in the course of putting together some half baked main event for this card. The Francis vs Volkov fight practically makes itself at this point, as punishment for both of them for somehow contriving to lose high stakes contender bouts to Derrick Lewis.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:The UFC is a meritocracy, it's just that everyone is measured on their ability to sell tickets and pay-per-view buys first and foremost.

Oh yeah the business. I'm the kind of fan that thinks good product takes care of itself. I don't need to be hyped up if two great fighters are going to compete. Casual interest is what results in high buyrates but chasing that high is making the UFC more like the WWE. It's not just the UFC though because Bellator has a good roster but I'm waiting for them to give us Forrest vs. Stephen or Chuck vs. Rashad as a main event because those names are established in the minds of MMA fans.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:07 pm

Deontay Wilder made his contribution to a month of combat sport nonsense when, at the request of a tv host, he punched and floored a mascot. Unsurprisingly, said mascot was pretty fucked up. Wilder claims he didn't know he was punching a person in a costume, presumably that meaning he thought his opponent actually was an anthropomorphic giant burrito wearing a moustache and a sombrero.
This incident raises several questions, including but not limited to: Is Deontay Wilder unable to understand that costumes have people inside them? Like a dog or a toddler? Did the guy in that mascot costume do something to anger his employers? How much is he going to sue them for? Who even thought this was a good idea in the first place?

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Previous