Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby Aquila89 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:14 pm

God, my nerves after that Russia-Croatia game...

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:54 pm

I am so happy about Anthony Pettis' win at UFC 226 last night. It seems like so long since we saw Showtime at his jaw-dropping best, Prince of Persia meets Jackie Chan wall run switch kicks, deadly snakelike bjj and all. I was jumping around like an idiot shouting "Get him Tony!" when he smashed Michael Chiesa mid mocking finger wag and submitted him (from the bottom, no less! Michael Chiesa! From the bottom!) with a triangle armbar. I think everyone in mma wanted, or even needed, that to happen. In addition to the huge pop from the live crowd, there was a chorus of professional fighters cheering Pettis on via twitter as it all elapsed. It's always hard to believe a fighter's talk about his adjustments and improvements after a run of bad form, but he was as good as his word.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:50 pm

Yet again, if I were on twitter I'd be roasting Dana White endlessly. I'd be doing it now instead of posting here.

What is the UFC? Is this a fighting promotion? Are fights made based on rankings? Is there any objectivity in making fights? Are all the belts just shinies that matter only for that night?

I ask these questions because the heavyweight champ just lost to the light heavyweight champ. Who is now apparently going to face a 40 year old pro wrestler who is suddenly the top contender despite not having fought in forever and also despite the utter failure of his drug test. 2 years ago. I'm guessing every other heavyweight on the roster is complete garbage and they should all literally find other means of gainful employment.

How good does Vince McMahon taste? CM Punk got two fights in the UFC because. Brock Lesnar is allowed to come and go at will, last time with a USADA exemption to sell ppvs, this time even if he fails it'll be excused again.

Keep chasing the casuals, keep hoping the Conor and Brock fans stick around, they won't. They're interested in personalities, not the sport. I thought Chuck/Tito III was an incredibly stupid idea. Dana, I'm holding your beer.

Banging card last night tho...

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:52 pm

After the Cain JDS era I had actually started hoping that heavyweight wouldn't be the laughing stock of mma anymore. Alas. That ridiculous promo was an instant Paolo Costa nut shot to my hype about DC being champion. I even joked about them doing some stupid pro wrestling bit with Brock after the fight, thinking that would be too low even for the new UFC. That turned to ash in my mouth of course.
In Brock's defence he actually can fight. With CM Punk it was honestly weird watching a guy who I could beat up competing in the UFC and being talked about like he was meant to be there. Punk would only be slightly less legitimate as a heavyweight title contender at this point, though. Brock's last win was eight years ago, and he has since lost twice by first round knockout, retired, returned and failed a drug test, and retired again. Every piece of furniture in Curtis Blaydes' house must be splinters by now.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:25 am

England is out. The final will be France v Croatia. I would prefer Croatia win, but I suspect it will be France. Not fully sure I can be be bothered to watch, not least because the tiresome way in which the BBC commentators spend every moment nothing interesting is happening on the pitch in a match with France in talking about how Mbappé is apparently the greatest player ever (whilst on screen Mbappé is rolling around on the floor and demanding a free kick because an opposition player looked at him funny), and I'm also not sure I can stand another 90+ minutes having to look at Croatia's haircuts (especially Vida's horrifying ponytail-mohawk thing).

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:19 am

gisambards wrote: having to look at Croatia's haircuts (especially Vida's Fallout inspired ponytail-mohawk thing).

Fixed it!

I ignore his hair. He has AMAZING abs. Me-ow.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby JamishT » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:00 am

Reuters decided that England being knocked out was push-notification worthy. Sorry to all the Brits on here, but I burst out laughing when I read the notification.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:12 pm

gisambards wrote: Not fully sure I can be be bothered to watch

And what about the third-place match between the English and the Sprouts? I mean, the Phlegms? I mean, the miserable, fat Belgian bastards?

gisambards wrote: and I'm also not sure I can stand another 90+ minutes having to look at Croatia's haircuts (especially Vida's horrifying ponytail-mohawk thing).

The ITV commentator apparently compared him to Legolas and the Targaryens.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Aquila89 wrote:And what about the third-place match between the English and the Sprouts? I mean, the Phlegms? I mean, the miserable, fat Belgian bastards?

I wouldn't know who to root for - they were my two favourite teams. If it were the final between them, I would definitely root for England, but I don't care who gets third place - after all, it's not taking part that counts, it's winning.
The ITV commentator apparently compared him to Legolas and the Targaryens.

The ITV commentators make the BBC commentators look like they know what they're talking about, which is no mean feat.
On that subject, it annoyed me that the British commentators (who were in this case ITV) didn't acknowledge the crowd booing Vida every time he had the ball, as it was quite noticeable that this was happening, even watching it on TV. I assumed it must just be because of his haircut, but apparently, I found out later, it was the Russians booing him because he made a video praising Ukraine.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Charles Oakley played basketball in the NBA from the 80's to the early 2000's. Don't do what he did.

So if you're in Las Vegas and you're about to lose, let it happen. He is accused of pulling back a $100 chip after he saw he was about to lose a game.

That's a felony. If convicted, he's going to prison. $100.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:34 pm

I find it really funny how news reporters at Wimbledon speak with hushed voices and furtive glances, as if they will get kicked out if anyone realises that a journalist is there. I always expect someone shouting and the reporter dashing off in panic.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:50 pm

France won the World Cup, good for them. I don't think anyone expected a 4-2 result though. This final had as many goals as the last four finals combined.

If I was a footballer, I don't think I would want to take a medal from Putin, shake hands with him and smile at him. I wonder if the players at the 1978 World Cup Final in Argentina had to do this with Jorge Rafael Videla, who came to power with a military coup, and had thousands of people kidnapped and tortured or executed.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:15 am

Manny Pacquiao had one of his first "knockout" wins in around 9 years over Lucas Matthysse, I haven't watched the fight yet although I found a link and I will be inspecting it.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:35 pm

It's easy to forget that Pacquiao is a seriously good fighter, even now. He's slower and less durable than he once was but it's your mind not your body that makes you a multi division world champion. I hope he's going to look after that brain, though.
Did you see Teofimo Lopez, Jim? He picked up a big win at lightweight and seems to be getting some real momentum as a top prospect. I'm certainly keeping an eye on him, though I don't think he should be thrown into the bearpit with the top lightweights at such a young age. He wasn't born when Mike Tyson bit off Evander Holyfield's ear.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:36 am

Anglerphobe wrote:It's easy to forget that Pacquiao is a seriously good fighter, even now. He's slower and less durable than he once was but it's your mind not your body that makes you a multi division world champion. I hope he's going to look after that brain, though.
Did you see Teofimo Lopez, Jim? He picked up a big win at lightweight and seems to be getting some real momentum as a top prospect. I'm certainly keeping an eye on him, though I don't think he should be thrown into the bearpit with the top lightweights at such a young age. He wasn't born when Mike Tyson bit off Evander Holyfield's ear.

He hasn't picked up on my radar yet but if you think he is gaining good momentum I'll check him out, are there any fights you recommend?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

PreviousNext