Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby Andropov4 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:23 am

College football: it's like real football, but played poorly.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:27 am

Andropov4 wrote:College football: it's like real football, but played poorly.

And with more rapists.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:53 am

I actually had Daniel Herron on my fantasy team as a last minute addition. But I hardly got to use him before the season ended. Too bad...

And yes. The Patriots/Colts game was just sad. I thought about staying to the very end (hey, what about the Seattle/Green Bay game, after all?) but ultimately it was just too depressing. And Tom Brady was my bench quarterback playing half the season. Oh well. Here's hoping the Super Bowl is an actual game, as opposed to last year...

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:16 pm

I was at work during the NFC title game (Seattle/Green Bay) and the AFC title game (New England/Indy) turned out pretty much how I thought it would based on their meeting last year. Indy has no real running game and their defense still can't handle Brady and Blount.

I think the Super Bowl will be close until the 4th quarter when the Patriots take a 2 score lead and eat the clock while maintaining a 2 score lead or better. Final score 38-20, Brady wins his 4th and becomes the greatest QB of all time and ESPN can take their undying love for Peyton Manning and crawl in a hole somewhere to lick their wounded collective ego which may or may not resemble a taint.

Off topicish I've noticed since ESPN changed their comment section to facebook only they're drowning in spambot posts. And every reply is "you made the money on your back and knees didn't you?" as if a spambot would take offense and reply back.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:15 pm

The Pats will win because Belacheck (sp?) is in league with Satan.

I'm serious. Beelz told me himself last night over tea. He sighed and said, "I'm so sick of that coach. Why I agreed to this, I'll never know." He then disappeared in a puff of sulfur smelling smoke.

Also, a news organization (I'm not saying which one) did a story on why less Americans were attending the Superbowl. Rather than talk about how tickets are always sold out and that the games have been held in smaller stadiums lately, they decided to talk about how "more Americans are staying at home because they have nicer TVs."
No. No. Are you serious? Superbowl tickets are sold out WELL in advance. It doesn't matter what damn teams are playing. What somewhat matters is WHERE it's being held. Different stadiums hold different amounts of people. Some are bigger than others.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:41 pm

Iirc you can't just buy Super Bowl tix. They're offered to season ticket holders of the teams who are playing and well here's this...

http://www.nfl.com/help/faq

You can't just say I'm a person and I want to attend the Super Bowl because.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:44 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Iirc you can't just buy Super Bowl tix. They're offered to season ticket holders of the teams who are playing and well here's this...

http://www.nfl.com/help/faq

You can't just say I'm a person and I want to attend the Super Bowl because.

I did not know that.

I correct myself but I stand by the different stadium sizes.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:29 pm

Belichik may very well be the best coach...at least of our time, possibly ever. But that's no guarantee of success. Now, if Sherman and Thomas aren't healthy/able to play, the Seahawks are probably hosed. And Wilson can't throw another 4 picks (so he should just stop trying to throw to Jermaine Kearse, I guess). But they're going to be a handful. If the Patriots have any trouble stopping the four man rush, I'm not sure they'll be able to score much, regardless of Gronk. I'm also interested to see how they handle him. Will they just let Bobby Wagner try to deal with him? Use Sherman to shadow him the way the Colts did with Vontae Davis? Use Chancellor to double him? He's the only real problem I see in coverage for the Seahawks.

Of course, on the other side, one has to wonder if any Seahawks receivers will be able to get open against the Patriots' DBs. Lynch will probably rack up another 100 yards, but they need some passing offense, and that disaster they had for three and a half quarters probably won't cut it this time.

All in all, I'm still betting on the Seahawks, but it should be interesting, especially if Belichik has any more tricks up his sleeve.

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamesT » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Ugh. Look at all you sports enthusiasts. I bet you don't even know what the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum physics is. You probably spend your time huddled in a field somewhere instead of getting sweet chicks at a LAN party. Ha! Look at the jock! What a loser.

*pushes Andropov down and laughs*

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:24 pm

Vox put up this article about that extremely questionable final pass that cost Seattle the Super Bowl. It's interesting reading, and sort of sheds some more light on how much strategy goes into coaching a professional sports team. It, of course, also highlights the danger of overthinking things.

http://www.vox.com/2015/2/2/7961789/pet ... ll-defense

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:29 am

3 downs, plenty of time left, a bruising running back. If they hand the ball off just one time. Sometimes its a good idea to go for the high percentage play.

I hate when coaches want to be clever and while it worked for Seattle at the end of the first half it came back to bite them in the end. It reminded me of something Andy Reid *shudder* or Chip Kelly *shudder2* would draw up.

Now can "Peyton Manning is the best" go away forever? Even if the Seahawks won that would mean that Russell Wilson would have gotten 2 championships in 3 years of playing. Also, Eli > Peyton and I don't care who disagrees.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:10 pm

This was a great sign of appreciation. After the Super Bowl when the trophy presentation was going on I was telling my wife Brady should not only give Malcolm Butler the truck but publicly refuse the MVP trophy and give to him as well. I mean, he did win the game after all.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:36 pm

I don't think Butler deserves the trophy. He did make an incredible play at the end, but prior to that he was getting burned repeatedly. He was a big part of the reason they needed an amazing play to win in the first place.

I'm also going to politely disagree about Manning v. Brady, and especially Eli v. Peyton. But we're never going to agree- my argument will be stats, yours championships, and neither of us will change the other's mind, which is fine.

And to be fair to Reid and Kelly, they are excellent offensive play callers and designers. Reid just has terrible clock management skills.

Last edited by Andropov4 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Andropov4 wrote: Reid just has terrible clock management skills.

I have that problem with Blitzball.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:16 am

I'm still wondering when Andy Reid is going to just try playing Madden or even an old NFL2K or hell even Tecmo Super Bowl and see how he not only cost the Eagles a shot at winning that Super Bowl but all the regular season games he gave away.

Also I recommend that fivethirtyeight article I linked to earlier in the thread for the Eli vs Peyton argument. Eli is statistically the most "clutch" QB in the NFL playoffs.

For the record I'm not strictly "championships are everything" because I think Mark Rypien was the luckiest bastard in the early 90s and he's got 1 more Super Bowl ring than Peyton Manning and the only Redskins QB to be on the roster for 2 Super Bowl victories. Let that insanity wash over you for a second.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

PreviousNext