Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Hasn't Ohio State won all the rivalry games since Charles Woodson left Michigan for the NFL? I think it's okay to let Michigan win one. Not much of a rivalry if it's one sided.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby JamishT » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:02 am

Yeah, it's been at least over 10 years. But as long as Ohio State keeps winning, I'm A-OK with it!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:27 pm

The UFC is in Beijing today, which means I get to watch at a non-ridiculous hour for a change. Saturday morning/midday mma is pretty cool. What's also cool is that Francis Ngannou and Alistair Overeem both seem to be out of their respective ruts. I usually watch televised mma late at night and on my own so it was nice to do this at a sociable hour.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby JamishT » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:16 am

JamishT wrote:We might not beat Michigan this year, and that's gonna suck.

LOL JK

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:46 pm

So about the College Football ranking system... that was nationally the 10th ranked team vs. the 4th ranked team. From the same conference. Ok. There's too much weight placed on prior games and imagined matchups imo.

My ideal playoff system would last too long and impact the NFL draft though. I'd have a conference playoff between the top four team of each conference. Then we seed those conference champions based on overall record, record vs top division then record vs the lower tier schools. Then you can have at least an 8 team playoff and the threat of a mid major knocking off the established elites. Betting would be off the charts, TV and streaming revenue would explode, but it would last until the end of February and distract from the NFL playoffs.

There's also the extra impact on players. They aren't robots and all the extra football of winning two games to become conference champ and then three more to become national champ will result in many more injuries. Plus it's more miles on the player when a pro scout is evaluating them. Two players just as good as each other but one just got done playing an extra two months of football.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:14 pm

Yeah, I would like to see the college playoffs expanded too. The possibility of injury is a good point; my first thought was to compare it to March Madness, but football has more serious injuries more often.
I still want to see UCF face someone serious.

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:35 am

Running back Kareem Hunt formerly of the Kansas City Chiefs is done.

Kareem was obviously angry about something one night in a Cleveland hotel and thought putting his hands on people was okay. He's no longer with the Chiefs as they have released him from his contract and the league has exempted him from being able to practice for, play in, or attend games.

This happened *checks non-existent watch* in February. TMZ released the video and the NFL just saw it. The league has been trying to acquire a copy of the tape but they don't pay as much as TMZ it seems.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:06 pm

This will be a big weekend for fight fans.
There will be several big boxing matches happening on Saturday; Vasyl Lomachenko, Kell Brook, Isaac Dogboe, and Teofimo Lopez are all fighting. Loma has Jose Pedraza to unify titles at lightweight, fellow lightweight Lopez is taking a step up in competition against Mason Menard, Brook has a tune-up against a guy called Michael Zerafa at light middleweight, and Dogboe is defending his WBO super bantamweight championship.
Furthermore, UFC 231 rolls into Ontario on Saturday night, bringing with a fight I have been giddy about for a while as Max Holloway defends his featherweight championship against Brian Ortega, along with one of the most skilled women's fights in the history of the sport between Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Valentina Shevchenko for the vacant flyweight championship.
On Friday, Muay Thai legend Yodsanklai has a featherweight super series fight in Kuala Lumpur. He will be facing Luis Regis, and Australian. Hopefully, he and the other Australians will be able to redeem their country's honour after the enormous shitkicking it received in last weekend's fights.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:15 pm

So many fights to summarise, and so little time. Furthermore, I'm pretty tired from staying up all night watching all the fights.

Boxing
Loma vs Pedraza was fun to watch, as Lomachenko was very much his usual mesmerising self. His speed, precision, and control remain extraordinary at lightweight. He sent Pedraza to his knees twice late in the fight, both of crippling combinations to the head and body, on his way to a decision victory. Pedraza, for his part, was an interesting challenge. He is rangy with decent movement and speed to provide a puzzle for Loma to solve. One can only think that a full unification of the lightweight belts against Mikey Garcia must be in the works, though Garcia is scheduled to fight at welterweight against Errol Spence in a few months. If he returns to the division to defend his belts, that is a dream fight.

Brook also notched a decision win, though it was much less impressive than Loma's. He outpointed Australia's Michael Zerafa, but he didn't look ready to take a championship bout. His next fight should be Amir Khan. I was considering going to this one a while back, as it was nearby. I'm glad I didn't, in hindsight.

Isaac Dogboe is no longer undefeated, and no longer champion of the world. His reign comes to an end at the hands of Mexican Emanuel Navarrete in a thrilling contest in MSG, New York. This was the most dramatic and gripping of the boxing matches over the weekend, with Dogboe's aggressive style against a much taller and longer man in Nav looking to counter him. Ultimately, it was pretty ugly for Isaac. He fought his heart out and had some considerable success, but he was overwhelmed by relentless damage and ended the fight looking horrible. He made it to the final bell in miserable condition, leaving Nav to take the decision and the belt.

Lopez annihilated Menard in under a minute, looking sensational. He came out with a lethal, rapid jab, and very quickly sent Menard stumbling with a ferocious right hand. Another of those saw Menard doing the old Raiders of the Lost Ark slow tip-forward officially 44 seconds into the first round. Impressive stuff.

Mixed Martial Arts
Max Holloway is exceptional. His year long layoff did not seem to hinder him on Saturday night in his battering of a Brian Ortega. He looked as good as he did knocking out Jose Aldo and Anthony Pettis. He was slick and fast, evading damage and landing constantly from all angles with his trademark ferocious intensity. Ortega put up a brave but futile effort en route to a fourth round doctor's TKO due to his face looking like it had been attacked by a swarm of angry bees. It's a shame to see his undefeated run end so brutally. He withstood 134 strikes in that fourth round. 134 blows in just five minutes. Over the full twenty the fight lasted, Ortega was hit by 290 significant strikes. That is a UFC record, breaking the previous significant strike record of 225 (over 25 minutes) set by Joanna Jedrzejczyk last year.
It wasn't a great night for Joanna. She fell short in her effort to become the first ever female double champion in the UFC, losing pretty much unilaterally to Valentina Shevchenko over a full five rounds. That, along with her strike record being broken, left her looking back at a now distant heyday as the highest ranked female in the sport's pound for pound list. Valentina looked phenomenal, and with flyweight's generally weak standard of competition she is likely to reign as its champion for some time. Interestingly, her sister Antonina had her debut in the division just last week, and will now be competing under her. I'm not sure how this will be dealt with down the line.

Yodsanklai
Damn, Yod is a badass. He sustained a seven year undefeated streak with an unbelievably fast barrage of right uppercuts to the head of Luis Regis. It was a bit like something a gritty, no-nonsense action hero would do. Regis was throwing spinning kicks (at one point a double spinning kick) and stepping knees while Yod stoically evaded them and laid him out with a sudden flurry of punches.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:37 am

Former UFC champion Jon Jones took to twitter to challenge current heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier to a fight. It would be their third fight, Jones having won the first two which were light heavyweight contests.

My thinking is that Jon came across an article when he was drunk and started tweeting because who offers a hunner thou to a San Diego charity after 2 a.m.?

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:01 pm

I think the steroid thing is hurting Jon more than he lets on. For all his bravado about it, I think it really eats at him when people say the positive test casts doubt on his achievements. He needs to separate himself from that stain on his record and he sees beating Cormier as the way to do it. I do think he's reaching a bit in saying Cormier is dropping the belt to avoid him, though. DC is a natural heavyweight who always had a difficult cut, and he is now pushing 40. DC weighed in at 252 pounds for UFC 230 last month. He won't be returning to the 205 pound class long term at this point anyway.

In boxing, the rematch between Dereck Chisora and Dillian Whyte is happening tonight (or whenever, according to your own time zones) at the O2 in London. Their last fight was a famous heavyweight brawl which Dillian Whyte won with a controversial judges' decision. There is a very strong argument that Dereck Chisora won that fight, but two of the three judges on the night gave Whyte the win. The very acrimonious buildup and aftermath for that fight, and the controversial official result, makes this rematch one of the most anticipated in the heavyweight division.
Chisora has gone 4-1 in the two years since the first fight, while Whyte has gone 4-0. Personally, I would say Chisora has looked better against better competition in most of his more recent fights, despite receiving a lot of damage. He's my pick to win, but with boxing judging anything could happen if it reaches the final bell and I'm not sure he's capable of finishing Whyte.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:05 pm

A week on, and Jon Jones has successfully reclaimed the light heavyweight title. In California, not Vegas. Because Nevada wouldn't license him due to yet another positive drug test and the UFC felt obliged to move the entire card to Los Angeles to accommodate him, in the process fucking over all of the fighters and a great many of the fans. The fighters will lose a significant amount of their pay to California's taxes (for which the UFC will not be compensating them) and many of them had to fly last minute to LA during the final stage of their weight cuts. If you've ever flown hung over, you will know how grim a prospect that is. Their families and teams will end up out of pocket, as will everyone who booked flights and accommodation in Vegas over the weekend. Jon Jones, ladies and gentlemen. Making you hate the sport despite being one of the best to ever do it. The failed test is believed to have been caused by long term metabolites left over from his last failure, which turn up in his urine again here and there due to his bodies use of fat cells from that time.

The highlight of the card for me was the co-main event, a women's "superfight" between the featherweight and bantamweight champions Cris "Cyborg" Justino and Amanda Nunes. This was hotly anticipated as a meeting of the two best female fighters in the world, and an opportunity to settle the "GOAT" debate.
Cyborg went in on a 13 year, twenty fight winning streak with a long standing reputation as the most dangerous and frightening female fighter in the history of the sport. She is mostly known for her incredibly violent knockouts, but her most illustrious victory was a five round decision drubbing of noted former champion Holly Holm.
Nunes came with sixteen wins and a star studded record of the biggest names in feMMA, a much stronger schedule of competition than Cyborg is considered to have. Shevchenko, Tate, GDR, Budd. In particular, you may recall her quick devastating mauling of the legendary Ronda Rousey. Last night, faced with another legend of the sport, she turned in another one. 51 seconds, four knockdowns, and now two gold belts. I was leaping around my living room at 4:30am like a madman.
Nunes beat Cyborg and Rousey in under 100 seconds combined. Riding an eight fight winning steak against the best competition there is, she is running out of girls to clobber.

ETA: cool stat from a tweet I saw about this: Amanda Nunes has fought four UFC champions of the two weight classes she fights in, and one Bellator champion. In total, these five champions combined have landed 15 significant strikes on her. All five were finished in the first round. What a fighter.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:15 pm

I feel like a lot of NFL writers don't pay attention to things like the outcome of games, teams that are trending up vs. down, injuries that cause good players to miss time, and some other things I can't think of at the moment.

I see a lot of terrible articles around the beginning of the season and at playoff time that are full of fluff and thoughts based on a few stats. Stats win games now. Apparently.

Case in point.

That's an SB Nation article ranking the 2019 NFL playoff teams by their "confidence" in them. I don't know what confidence means because I would think it means confidence in winning their next game and any possible future games should they continue winning.

If you would please scroll down to #5 in the article where they list the Los Angeles Chargers. Or just read what I'm copy/pasting here from the article...

Historically, the Chargers have been more cursed than contender, but this year’s team is legitimately good. They did get crushed at home by the Baltimore Ravens, who they play again this weekend in the Wild Card Round, but they should still be considered one of the more dangerous teams in the playoffs.

The Chargers lost to the Baltimore Ravens in Los Angeles by a score of 22-10 way, way back in the long ago era of 2018. December the 23rd to be exact.

Now the Chargers are going to be traveling to Baltimore to play this weekend. They are 2.5 point underdogs. This idea they're dangerous is backed by a few key stats that meant absolutely nothing when they lost a few weeks ago. Stats such as the offense averaging 2.4 points per drive.

In the same article the Ravens are described as:
The question for Baltimore is simple, and one that makes it a little hard to believe in its chances to go on a postseason run: Will the Ravens be able to make enough plays in the passing game to advance deep in the playoffs?

Sooooo they're not worried about the Ravens except if they can "make enough plays in the passing game to advance deep in the playoffs"? The first game isn't a worry? Shouldn't they be ranked above the team they're apparently expected to beat this weekend? It makes no sense to me.

Best of all the article ends with the Eagles being ranked last because the writers admit they could put them anywhere in the rankings and be both correct and incorrect. The defense is called "concerning" and then that claim is bolstered by a stat graph that has terms you've never heard of before like "rushing marginal explosiveness", whatever that is, and my favorite "expected turnovers".

Like yes let's rank a team defense lower because we have this expectation of them creating turnovers against a team that is not running a static offense. I hate when baseball logic is applied to stats in other sports but that's another rant.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:53 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:12 pm

Lots of fighting recently. Manny Pacquiao shut down Adrien Broner in dominant fashion. Pacman is not what he once was, but he has become craftier with age and still has enough athleticism to outwork Broner. For his part, Broner looked pretty Broner-y. He usually struggles to impose himself on powerful and aggressive fighters, and his defence wasn't good enough to keep Pac's gloves off him. Nevertheless, he is much more legitimate win than Tenshin Nasukawa in a boxing match. MayPac 2: The Inevitable. Get hyped!

On the undercard, Badou Jack got pummelled by Marcus Browne at light heavyweight. Badou Jack was always been a neither here nor there fighter for me, but I was pretty surprised to see him getting dominated in that fashion by a relative newcomer. Aside from a gory clash of heads, it was pretty much twelve rounds of Browne taking it to Jack in all areas. Time will tell how valuable a win over a 35 year old Badou Jack ends up being, but for now it looks good to place Marcus Browne in contention at the weight. Light heavy is one of my favourite big boxing weight classes, for its propensity for fun action fights without the gassing and holding that pervades at heavyweight. I hope to see more of Browne there, as he seems to be a genuinely interesting prospect (and now WBA interim champion).

In a high drama fight on Friday night, heavyweights Oscar Rivas and Bryant Jennings had a battle for almost twelve rounds, with a lot of gruelling back and forth action in the first eleven to leave it truly anyone's fight to win in the twelfth and final. I had it in favour of Jennings. It was a fearless Oscar Rivas, though, who took it. He made his way through Jennings' firepower to floor him dramatically in the final round en route to a TKO stoppage against the ropes a short while later. This wasn't the highest profile fight of the weekend, but it was the one which got me the most excited. Sometimes the poor judging and reprehensible characters of boxing leave me wondering why I follow the sport, but there always comes a fight that reminds me of my reasons like this.

MMA was abroad as well on Saturday, with the UFC's maiden ESPN card and a superfight between bantamweight champion TJ Dillashaw and flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson Henry Cejudo. After a weirdly acrimonious buildup invovling Dillashaw dressing as an 80's movie bully (replete with obnoxious gum chewing) and declaring that the UFC would dissolve the flyweight division after he won, Cejudo saved the flyweight rec centre with a mildly anticlimactic 30 second wipeout of "The Viper". He used his speed to great effect to nullify the defensive and offensive movement of Dillashaw, landed some flush punches, and convinced referee Kevin MacDonald to put a stop to proceedings before a minute had passed.
It's interesting to note that, in these cross-division superfights, the fighters from the lower weight class have tended to succeed over their bigger rivals. Daniel Cormier, Amanda Nunes, Conor McGregor, and Georges St Pierre beat heavier champions before Cejudo, while St Pierre himself stopped the smaller BJ Penn years ago in defence of his welterweight belt and Bellator middleweight champion Gegard Moussasi smashed welterweight champion Rory MacDonald last year on Peppa Pig's undercard. Perhaps being unused to the speed and intensity of a lower weight class is more of a problem than the bigger guys realise, or perhaps it is coincidence. Certainly, the fighters who did win these fights are all considered all-time greats.
Also of note is that, while he is champion in a higher weight class, Dillashaw might not have been the bigger man on the night. Mixed martial artists cut large amounts of weight and rehydrate rapidly, so "Diet Pillashaw" or "Skeleshaw"as he was dubbed by fans could conceivably have been the lighter man in the cage against Cejudo, who has missed weight in the past and is regarded as a large flyweight. The effect of the large weight cut was been suggested as a reason for Dillashaw getting so fiercely wrecked.

other Weight cutting trivia
Interesting data from last month's UFC card in Los Angeles. The California commission performs day of contest weight checks in combat sports, in order to better regulate weight cutting. The second weighing happens shortly before the fighters compete. The difference between the Friday morning official "weigh in" and actual weight in the ring on Saturday night is often striking, as I've noted here before. The commission tracks fighters who exceed 110% of their official fight weight at the fight itself. Because fighters lower their weight in fight week by dehydrating themselves, this is what the commission views as a dangerous cut.

The second weigh in results for UFC 232 were quite interesting, particularly in highlighting the difference in weight cutting for men and women. To wit, there were six athletes at UFC 232 competing at the featherweight class, which in mixed martial arts is 145(6) pounds, or 65.7(66.2) kilograms as opposed to boxing and kickboxing's 126 pounds or 57 kilograms. Why they use the same name for both is beyond me.Two were men, and four were women. Comparing their "cage weight" a day after they all weighed roughly the same on the official scales shows a really remarkable contrast.
Chad Mendes and Alexander Volkanovski both stand 168cm tall officially (though I'm pretty sure Mendes is actually shorter. Wrestlers often get shorter through their lives.) and weighed in at approximately 66kg on Friday morning. On Saturday night, Mendes weighed just under 73kg (just over a 10% increase) while Volkanovski was a staggering 75.5kg (a 14% increase).
Cat Zingano and Amanda Nunes, the former of whom is billed as the same height as the two men and the latter as a few centimetres taller, both put on around 7% of their official weight by the second weighing, each weighing somewhat under 71kg in the cage. Less than half of the rehydration that Volkanovski managed over the same period of approximately 36 hours.
Megan Anderson, by far the tallest of the sample with a billed height of 185cm, looked wretched making weight on Friday morning - looking weak and drained on the scale and being the last of them to make weight by a wide margin (therefore taking full advantage of the time allowed for dehydrating)- but barely weighed more than Zingano by the time of their fight at 71.5kg (a 7.5% increase). She plainly had the most difficulty reaching the stipulated weight, and yet rehydrated much less weight than either of the men.
Former champion Cris "Cyborg" Justino is an outlier among the women. She weighed the same as Chad Mendes on Saturday night, while standing somewhat taller than him at about 173cm. The difference doesn't seem too huge in the absolute numbers, but considering she seemed to have no trouble making the scale (especially compared to the much taller Anderson) the 40% greater rehydration gap is pretty noteworthy. Evidently, she is doing things differently. I would expect Anderson to be making the bigger total cut, but for some reason she can't reload that water weight anywhere near as quickly.

Another note, in the fourteen contests on the card, the fighters who came in lighter on the day of contest weigh in won four bouts (Nunes, Curtis Millender, Ryan Hall, and Peter Yan) and those who came in heavier won nine (Volkanovski, Anderson, Jon Jones, Uriah Hall, Michael Chiesa, Corey Anderson, Walt Harris, Montel Jackson, and Nathaniel Wood.) The only fighter on the card to miss weight, Montel Jackson, won. It may seem crazy that fighters indulge in this, but the statistics support the practice pretty starkly.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext