Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby Andropov4 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:24 pm

Hey, at least the Eagles avoided the Frank Gore bullet (not because they wanted to, but still...). That deal with the Colts will probably start looking incredibly bad by about week three (though he can't be worse than Trent Richardson, right?). And I like the Jets move to sign Revis and Buster Skrine, though the Revis deal seems a little too long considering his age. Then again, Darrell Green played for like 19 years, so it's possible we could see another great corner defy the aging curve. I was surprised to see Jimmy Graham get moved. That gives Wilson a really dangerous target, and makes you wonder if the Saints are just gonna blow it all up soon, considering how hard they flopped this season and how bad their last offseason went.

As far as the incoming rookie quarterbacks, I actually like Mariota more, and not for any of that silly "character" stuff; I'm pretty sure being a terrible human being has nothing to do with your athletic skill. But statistically, in both raw numbers and rate stats, he blew Winston out of the water. And Winston really didn't play very well. He's huge and he's got an arm, but so do plenty of college QBs. Hell, Jake Locker has both of those traits, and he's already retiring.

Speaking of retiring, holy shit. The 49ers might not have actually gotten that much worse (they still have Bowman, Wilhoite, and Borland, and of course just signed Darnell Dockett), but was anybody expecting Willis and Smith to retire and everyone else to look for jobs elsewhere? I'm guessing the locker room still liked Harbaugh (or Vic Fangio and Greg Roman) a lot more than they did the front office.

I liked the Ravens move to get Haloti Ngata. The price was hardly prohibitive, and he could still bounce back to a Pro Bowl level of play. Plus, he'll cost them less than half what it would have cost to keep Suh, leaving them with cap space to improve the rest of the roster (and maybe re-sign a DT or two, since their top four are all free agents).

My least favourite move so far might have been the Brandon Marshall trade. The guy is 30, was probably the best receiver in the league two years ago, has a pretty cheap contract, and still only fetched a fifth-rounder (and they had to throw in a seventh round pick with him!). I know he's a head case and coming off a bad year, mostly due to injuries, and is only signed for next season, but still. You don't let that kind of player walk for that return. Especially if you're not going to find a new home for Cutler.

It's been a pretty crazy offseason. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby Cordslash » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:50 pm

England is no longer in Cricket World Cup. They didn't even make the quarter finals.
This is hilarious on so many levels, some along the lines of the Colonialised beating the Colonisers at their own game (again), but also because the England team really sucked.

Then again SA are world famous chokers when it comes to World Cups so let's not celebrate too early.

We're all on South Africa's side right?

Of course we are.

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:19 pm

It really is amazing how thoroughly the England cricket team has gone to shit. Not to disparage Bangladesh, but for one of the supposed dominant powers of world cricket to receive such an ignoble drubbing at their hands is just abysmal.

I can well imagine the collective delight across Australia over the past year or two over this collapse. I suppose we can always resort to levying more South Africans but it seems that nothing about the team in its current state is working at all.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:43 am

Masonator wrote:So, didn't want to start a new topic, but has anyone been following the NFL horse trading going on?

You know, you guys can make more sports threads in Gen Dis if you want, you don't have to keep all of it to just this thread. The reason we don't have a sports forum is because there's not enough interest here to sustain a sports forum, so it's better to just use Gen Dis instead. (And CAASS when the situation calls for it). If you'd rather just do all your sports talk in this thread here, that's fine, just saying you don't have to.

Also, this isn't directed at just you Masonator, this thread's just turned into a general purpose sports talk thread, so I felt I should point out that you don't have to do that if you don't want to.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Masonator » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:24 am

Andropov4 wrote:Hey, at least the Eagles avoided the Frank Gore bullet (not because they wanted to, but still...). That deal with the Colts will probably start looking incredibly bad by about week three (though he can't be worse than Trent Richardson, right?). And I like the Jets move to sign Revis and Buster Skrine, though the Revis deal seems a little too long considering his age. Then again, Darrell Green played for like 19 years, so it's possible we could see another great corner defy the aging curve. I was surprised to see Jimmy Graham get moved. That gives Wilson a really dangerous target, and makes you wonder if the Saints are just gonna blow it all up soon, considering how hard they flopped this season and how bad their last offseason went.

As far as the incoming rookie quarterbacks, I actually like Mariota more, and not for any of that silly "character" stuff; I'm pretty sure being a terrible human being has nothing to do with your athletic skill. But statistically, in both raw numbers and rate stats, he blew Winston out of the water. And Winston really didn't play very well. He's huge and he's got an arm, but so do plenty of college QBs. Hell, Jake Locker has both of those traits, and he's already retiring.

Speaking of retiring, holy shit. The 49ers might not have actually gotten that much worse (they still have Bowman, Wilhoite, and Borland, and of course just signed Darnell Dockett), but was anybody expecting Willis and Smith to retire and everyone else to look for jobs elsewhere? I'm guessing the locker room still liked Harbaugh (or Vic Fangio and Greg Roman) a lot more than they did the front office.

I liked the Ravens move to get Haloti Ngata. The price was hardly prohibitive, and he could still bounce back to a Pro Bowl level of play. Plus, he'll cost them less than half what it would have cost to keep Suh, leaving them with cap space to improve the rest of the roster (and maybe re-sign a DT or two, since their top four are all free agents).

My least favourite move so far might have been the Brandon Marshall trade. The guy is 30, was probably the best receiver in the league two years ago, has a pretty cheap contract, and still only fetched a fifth-rounder (and they had to throw in a seventh round pick with him!). I know he's a head case and coming off a bad year, mostly due to injuries, and is only signed for next season, but still. You don't let that kind of player walk for that return. Especially if you're not going to find a new home for Cutler.

It's been a pretty crazy offseason. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I'm a bit surprised too that the 49ers didn't turn into a sinking ship when Harbaugh got the boot. Season before last he makes it to the playoffs and loses a tight game to the eventual SB champ, next year he doesn't repeat and basically gets forced out. You know, because it's always a great idea to turn against the coach at the first sign of struggle. No wonder he's coaching college, now. There's a bit more job security and no headaches about trades and contracts.

As for the best rookie quarterback, I look forward to the end of the draft just so we can see the results on the field. Winston's football IQ, accuracy, and familiarity with a pro style system makes him more NFL ready than Mariota, but both QBs have turned in some inconsistent performances. College success doesn't necessarily translate to the next level, and I'd want my team taking the most NFL ready player rather than a guy who only ran the option. I still think both qbs will be better turnouts than RG3, Manziel, and many of these team manager qbs like Hoyer and until recently, Orton.

Also, does anyone know what the bills are doing at qb with Orton gone? I think the EJ experiment is probably over, and I expected a bold move by Rex Ryan, but maybe I'm just not up to date. I thought the Jets firing Rex was idiotic, so here's hoping Rex lands on his feet with the Bills, so to speak.

Masonator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Masonator » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:28 am

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:
Masonator wrote:So, didn't want to start a new topic, but has anyone been following the NFL horse trading going on?

You know, you guys can make more sports threads in Gen Dis if you want, you don't have to keep all of it to just this thread. The reason we don't have a sports forum is because there's not enough interest here to sustain a sports forum, so it's better to just use Gen Dis instead. (And CAASS when the situation calls for it). If you'd rather just do all your sports talk in this thread here, that's fine, just saying you don't have to.

Also, this isn't directed at just you Masonator, this thread's just turned into a general purpose sports talk thread, so I felt I should point out that you don't have to do that if you don't want to.

Honestly, NFL trades and speculation don't warrant their own thread. The draft might and certainly weekly threads during the season make sense, but I figured trades are almost never interesting enough to get the attention of the more casual fans.

Masonator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:50 am

Masonator wrote:
Also, does anyone know what the bills are doing at qb with Orton gone? I think the EJ experiment is probably over, and I expected a bold move by Rex Ryan, but maybe I'm just not up to date. I thought the Jets firing Rex was idiotic, so here's hoping Rex lands on his feet with the Bills, so to speak.

I know they wanted Josh McCown, but got outbid for him. I actually thought they might go after Locker before he decided to call it quits. As of now, there isn't much available. The Bears won't want to trade Cutler until next year at the earliest, Bradford and Foles are either staying where they're at or getting used to move up in the draft (which the Bills can't help anyone do), Sanchez, Hoyer, and all the other "over-qualified backup, under-qualified starter" type guys are locked up. It was just a pretty miserable QB market this offseason, even more so than usual. But the Saints are supposedly shopping Brees, so I guess that's a possibility, though I don't think the Bills currently have the cap space for him. And I guess some other backups and terrible starters are available. But anybody with a smidge of promise or untapped potential has already signed, it seems. Even Blaine Gabbert. It seems the Bills will have to hope to luck into a QB somehow.

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Masonator » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:14 pm

Andropov4 wrote:
But the Saints are supposedly shopping Brees, so I guess that's a possibility, though I don't think the Bills currently have the cap space for him.

I guess this is the fallout of having a weak season, though I would have expected Brees to stick around in New Orleans only because he's been there for so long. Maybe the Saints are trying to pull what the Colts did when they traded Manning and got Luck. I'll be the first to admit I didn't know if it was wise at the time, but despite their performance against the Pats last season, the Colts were really smart to get Luck when they could.

On another note, I just read that the Eagles aren't going after Mariota, because he doesn't want to 'mortgage the Eagles future' by giving up multiple draft picks and trades to get him. Made me want to punch him through the computer, not because the Eagles need Mariota, but where was this caution when he gave up Macklin, Foles, and McCoy? Like someone else said, why rebuild a team with a solid winning record? Maybe everything will work out fine, but right now it looks like the Eagles just tanked their present, which is a lot worse than mortgaging their future.

Masonator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:31 pm

My future brother in law is a huge Eagle's fan and he was losing his collective shit over the trades. Many comments regarding Chip Kelly's sanity.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby TheSyrupNugget » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:19 am

Masonator wrote:As for the best rookie quarterback, I look forward to the end of the draft just so we can see the results on the field. Winston's football IQ, accuracy, and familiarity with a pro style system makes him more NFL ready than Mariota, but both QBs have turned in some inconsistent performances. College success doesn't necessarily translate to the next level, and I'd want my team taking the most NFL ready player rather than a guy who only ran the option. I still think both qbs will be better turnouts than RG3, Manziel, and many of these team manager qbs like Hoyer and until recently, Orton.

Mariota didn't really run the option so much as he ran a spread offense with read option concepts. If I had to compare it to any older college offense, I'd compare it to those old air raid passing attacks- Except updated to take advantage of the rise of zone blocking and the massive rushing lanes forcing the defense to come out in nickel and dime formation tends to create.

I'm not totally sold on it as an NFL offensive scheme, in the long term. The Eagles have run it with some success, even with poorly fitting quarterbacks under center almost the whole time, and they've finished solidly in NFL offensive standings the last couple years, but I find it's been very streaky. They'll put up a highlight reel one week, then fall on their face out of the gate the next.

Speaking of the Eagles, it'll be interesting if they manage to get Murray AND Mathews. All they would need is to trade for Sam Bradford, and they would officially have the NFL's first all-glass backfield.

TheSyrupNugget
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: Nugget of Syrup

Postby Andropov4 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:27 am

TheSyrupNugget wrote:Speaking of the Eagles, it'll be interesting if they manage to get Murray AND Mathews. All they would need is to trade for Sam Bradford, and they would officially have the NFL's first all-glass backfield.

Yup, they collected the whole set. Though Murray and Mathews should be fine as long as both don't get hurt at once. And if they keep Bradford clean with quick passes and play action, who knows? This could actually work. Probably not as well as an offense with McCoy, Maclin, Jackson, and Foles, but whatever.

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:23 pm

Coworker and fellow Eagles fan: "Hey you know why Chip Kelly is making these moves right?"

Me: "Because he's a goddamned fucking super control freak."

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby mancityfooty » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:13 pm

Everyone is talking football and I'm just sitting here waiting for the KU/Iowa State game to start.

37-23 at the half.

KU winning, of course.

*edited for after the game*
Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby TheSyrupNugget » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:07 am

Andropov4 wrote:
TheSyrupNugget wrote:Speaking of the Eagles, it'll be interesting if they manage to get Murray AND Mathews. All they would need is to trade for Sam Bradford, and they would officially have the NFL's first all-glass backfield.

Yup, they collected the whole set. Though Murray and Mathews should be fine as long as both don't get hurt at once. And if they keep Bradford clean with quick passes and play action, who knows? This could actually work. Probably not as well as an offense with McCoy, Maclin, Jackson, and Foles, but whatever.

You could be right, but my money is on Sam re-tearing his ACL walking into the stadium in the preseason, in spite of Mark Sanchez's best efforts to pad every corner, carpet every floor, and send weekly gift baskets to Lane Johnson and Jason Peters "from [their] best buddy, Sam" so that he never has to actually play.

TheSyrupNugget
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: Nugget of Syrup

Postby Arkyle » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:23 am

To bring this back onto real sports...

If South Africa manage to lose to Sri Lanka, I think we should just quit cricket forever...

70 runs required off 40 overs with 8 wickets in hand.

Surely we can't stuff this up???

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

PreviousNext