Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:52 am

Better, more articulate thoughts coming tomorrow but for now:

FUCK YES!

Pyjamas, TJ Dillashaw, and Georges St Pierre pulled a perfect 3 for 3 of smashing my expectations and fulfilling the hopes I had dismissed. My heart is pounding. My face is wet, somehow. The rest of the card was neither here nor there but that was the most amazing triple header I've ever seen. GSP by submission to an RNC, TJ by knockout, Namajunas by submission to strikes. The latter two beat people who have never lost before.

I was wrong about everything and I'm fucking loving it.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Thug Rose is one of my favorite fighters. I didn't think she'd win. I'm very happy for her. She definitely earned that belt.

I'm glad TJ won because now Cody can stfu. I think Cody has a lot of growing up to do. Trolling with a snake emoji is childish and acting like nobody can ever train with a different camp is just plain short sighted. If he ever switches trainers he should have to literally eat crow. I'm also glad TJ won because I felt like he deserved a rematch against Cruz but I understand why that didn't happen.

I'm okay with GSP winning because I don't like Bisping as a person and ffs my kid has no idea what a GSP is. My son turns 8 this month. GSP hadn't fought in half his life. Now he's relevant, and champion!

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:09 am

So. Wow.

I'm still calming down, but UFC 217 is my favourite MMA event now. Despite some NYSAC bullshit and a dreadful foul kick in the prelims, the card as a whole was completely carried by the trilogy of awesomeness that rounded it off. Wonderboy vs Masvidal was a very good fight too and a good new luck for Thompson after the tentative display he put in against Woodley in those fights. Borrachinha also netted a high profile win, which is cool.

The title fights, though, were amazing. All of the people I wanted to win won, and did so in absolutely fantastic fashion. I don't think three titles have changed hands in one night before.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Rose Namajunas
WAR PYJAMAS! I'm a fan and admirer of Rose Namajunas, but I have to be honest and say that I thought this fight would be as one sided as the Christians' away day at the Coliseum back in 71. I was almost tentative to watch it, after the horrible beatings JJ has put on some of her opponents. She doesn't open an opportunity and pounce on it, she just beats you until either 25 minutes have elapsed or you collapse. Rose got the title shot on the merit of two qualities: coming off a stoppage win and not having been mauled by JJ already. She was the only person to satisfy both of these conditions, on account of JJ having cleaned out the strawweights thoroughly and dominantly for the last 2 and a half years. I thought she was toast. She lost badly two fights ago to a fighter with a similar base and similar kind of threat, whom JJ blasted in 5 rounds of dominance in her next appearance. Rose was marching to her death, I thought.
Instead. In-fucking-stead, I watched her shut down the undefeated champion's game top to bottom. Every facet of JJ was figured out and accounted for and the execution was on point. At the time, I thought of it as a triumph of boxing-style movement over muay thai, but now I've come to consider it an example of master level MMA footwork and striking. Rose came out and completely vexed JJ's style with her angles and distance control. JJ couldn't figure out how to hit her, and ate shots for trying.
The weird thing about this is that, if you only watch this fight, JJ's weaknesses look so obvious. I have questioned her defence before; she got knocked down by Gadelha and wobbled by Kowalkiewicz when there was really no excuse for it. This, though, was just a case of her having no guard and no lateral movement to deal with Rose's angles. There was no black magic in this win, it was just basic offensive boxing with clean footwork. It feels so strange to see this woman look so vulnerable when every other performance of hers was a one-sided thrashing. These flaws were always there, but we didn't see them.
For her part, I think Violence will be back with great improvement. She has looked better each time in every outing she's had in the UFC, and this loss has exposed an area in which she has a high ceiling to reach. I still believe that she would have torn chunks out of Pyjamas if she had been granted the opportunity to feel her out and nail the timing to land on her. She just got smoked before that opportunity came because she was essentially defenseless against a killer who was fighting with full knowledge that she needed to get it done. Rose's do or die mentality was incredibly impressive in this fight. I like Joanna, and I believe in her. This loss was reminiscent of GSP vs Matt Serra, and of Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm. She has the choice of which humbled champion she will emulate and I'm confident that it will be the right one.
For the division, this is a breath of fresh air. There are two important contender fights on the horizon: Carla Esparza vs Cynthia Calvillo and Jessica Andrade vs Karolina Kowalkiewicz. It is telling of JJ's ridiculous dominance that three of those women (Calvillo being the exception) have crushing defeats against her. Had JJ won on Saturday, the winner of Esparza-Calvillo would probably have gotten it, because the other two were thrashed in the last 12 months and they were not. Now, the quality of the win streaks (such as they are in this division) will probably grant the KK-Andrade winner the next shot. Two (Esparza and KK) have beaten Rose before. The other two haven't met her. The potential title fights are fascinating.
I'm not sure what JJ will do now. She has talked a lot about moving to the new Flyweight division in recent months, so she may take this as an ignoble sendoff from her old stomping grounds. I hope she stays, though. There is a fifth top contender to consider, a woman with two defeats against the former champion. Claudia Gadelha. She is coming off a loss to Andrade preceded by a fearsome submission victory over KK and a beating of Courtney Casey. Both coming off a loss, both with a different gym to the one they were with at their last meeting. Both would become eligible for a title shot with a win. That's a fight.

Cody Garbrandt vs TJ Dillashaw
I'm in awe of TJ Dillashaw. He got smashed and almost finished at the end of round 1. Garbrandt caught him with a really smooth counter right from a left hook, the kind of pocket punch that Cody absolutely hammers people with. TJ was on his knees avoiding the ground strikes at the bell. If the punch had landed 30 seconds earlier it is likely that he would have been finished off. He was absolutely still in the fight, but that was a nasty position to work out of at the end of a round in which Garbrandt looked very much like the champion of the world.
When he stood up a minute or so later he went out and beat Cody Garbrandt the fuck up. He popped him with lightning fast kicks, clipped him with his hands, and ultimately knocked him out with a fantastic right hook in that close distance where they hurt the most, and a barrage on the ground. It was a full domination that he built up blow by blow from the brink of defeat. Amazing to watch.
While I try not to get too invested in the out of the ring lark that accompanies combat sports, I must say that Team Alpha Male has not represented itself well in the buildup to this event. The whole feud has been characterised by them being obnoxious and unreasonable. The man himself is particularly inarticulate and particularly irritating.
He is, however, very fucking good at fighting. I favoured him to win this one because his footwork and hand speed is superb and his power is frightening. The man has never been taken down or backed into the cage, even by Dominic Cruz. He has at least one knockdown in each of his UFC appearances. In short, the statistics favoured him pretty clearly. Of course, I'm enjoying my crow immensely. Dillashaw deserves what he just won. His loss to Cruz was iffy,
he has looked incredible since, and he got the job done in what can be civilly described as extremely adverse circumstances (specifically, buzzed from a nasty punch in a stadium full of people chanting "Fuck you TJ" whom his victory silenced in an awesome fashion)
This whole affair leaves bantamweight in an interesting position. Cruz, Garbrandt, and Dillashaw all have held the title, and each has fought the others. Cruz beat TJ by controversial split decision, Garbrandt beat Cruz by emphatic unanimous decision, and now TJ has beaten Garbrandt by knockout. The obvious pick for the next title fight is Cruz,
but he is actually booked in an eliminator fight with Jimmie Rivera, who also has history with TAM with a win over Urija Faber. Garbrandt can earn his rematch against the loser of that fight, while the winner gets to fight TJ for the belt. All are interesting matchups, but TJ himself has said he wants to fight pound for pound number 1 and Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson next. Based on the outcome of this title fight, I'm not sure Mighty Mouse wants any part of that, but with his ridiculous levels of skill it would still be compelling. He has no one left to fight at Flyweight, either, so he might take it. I'm indifferent as to whether he does, but a two-weight win for a guy who's small even at flyweight would, in my opinion, wrest his GOAT status back from the hands of Georges st Pierre.

Michael Bisping vs Georges Saint Pierre
GSP is my favourite fighter. I don't tend to name favourites most of the time, but this man has earned it. Nine title defences against a murderer's row the likes of which no other champion has ever faced, a recovery from a devastating shock defeat, unbelievable dominance year on year and fight on fight and all while being the nicest, most real guy in the sport. GSP is a legend in MMA.
As a Brit, I was probably technically supposed to pull for my countryman but I can't pick against the real life Captain America. That said, I did expect Bisping to win this one. For all the shit that he gets, he is one of the best traditional strikers in MMA. He breaks people down with superb striking pressure in which he builds some of the best strings of combined blows you will see in this sport. He has beaten some scary men, and came into this fight as a big middleweight with an undefeated record a weight class higher at light heavy against a middleweight debutant former welterweight coming from a 4 year layoff. Michael Bisping should have had this in the bag. If only his opponent hadn't been the GOAT.
The crazy, ridiculous, still two days later incredible fact of this is that GSP not only defeated the middleweight champion after 4 years out and two ACL injuries, but he looked better than he did when he left. He was rather notorious back in 2013 for sticking behind the jab and using conservative ground pressure to build comfortable decision wins. He came back on Saturday to pick apart the defensive weaknesses of Michael Bisping with diverse punches and kicks, drop him with a left hook (it was a very mindblowing hook-y kind of night) batter him with elbows and choke him unconscious. His last finish was in 2009 when he beat BJ Penn so ferociously he was hopsitalised and didn't remember the last two rounds of the encounter.
It is unreal how good GSP looked in this fight. He should not have been anywhere near the level that he was. Going into it, I and the other GSP fans were concerned that his clean but limited striking game would be outclassed and that he would struggle to put into effect his legendary takedown and control game against the middleweight champion, who has a solid reputation for stuffing wrestlers and an appreciable size advantage. Georges went for the three takedowns in this fight, and got all of them. He rocked Bisping with his world famous superman punch. He threw punches we haven't seen him throw in a long time, and he landed them. It was masterful.
Bisping didn't go down without a fight either. He landed on Georges with a couple of nice right hands, one of which looked like it really hurt him, along with a volley of elbows which shredded his face. When GSP's hands started to drop and we could see his chest heaving, I was concerned. This was another thing that we expected, another thing that had worried us. Would middleweight GSP have the endurance to wrestle a bigger man around for the duration of a championship fight without gassing and getting stuck in a striking battle he couldn't win? The answer to that is still not known, as he went through and stopped Michael Bisping in the third with blood pouring down his face from the cuts The Count had opened on him.
I have no idea what Georges plans to do now. He said he was back for fun fights that would test him, and this certainly qualifies there. He might look to unify the middleweight belts against the fearsome Australian Robert Whittaker, or head down to his old empire to fight Tyron Woodley for the belt he gave up voluntarily back in 2013. Either way, I want to see it. Middleweight needs some order restored to it, and GSP may or may not be the man for the job. Since the long reigning Anderson Silva was knocked out and then maimed in back to back losses against Chris Weidman, things have been turbulent. Weidman was beaten half to death by Luke Rockhold, a man who was held up as an unmatched fighter, before Bisping smashed Rockhold in one and went on to let the other top middleweights sort shit out amongst themselves for a year and a half. There's about five guys who all have a decent claim for the next title shot besides Whittaker who is first in line. Either Bobby or Georges will have a lot to do if and when the title is reunified.
Welterweight is similarly insane. Woodley is struggling with the company and unpopularity with the fans, while still looking pretty hard to beat for any of the multitudinous top fighters. There's a steady changing of the welterweight guard from old standards to new blood, with fighters who are both old and new like RDA and GSP coming back into the mix too. Either path is full of excitement, and I really hope the UFC relaxes the reebok rule to let GSP wear his karate gi like he always used to. If anyone has earned such and exemption, it's him. His list of achievements is unparalleled, especially with the recent addition of two-weight championship and a stoppage victory over a bigger champion after years out of the sport. I don't think anyone can claim to edge him out anymore. DJ has a great flyweight run but only one belt, Jon Jones has one belt and two post USADA drug failures, Anderson Silva has one belt and drug failures, and BJ, Cruz, Aldo, Fedor, and all the other guys just can't equal the championship streak, the competition, the multiple weight divisions, and the years long period of not losing a single round of a fight. It's settled. We just needed reminding.

GOAT

And, years later, still GOAT

For context, I've discussed all of this and more in far more detail both irl and online for most of the past two days. This wall of text is the abridged conclusion of the shit I've been waffling about with other MMA fans and internally to myself all weekend. I am blown away by this event. If anyone reads it and feels one percent of what I felt on Saturday night, I will consider my time well invested. MMA is an amazing sport and I hope more people come to enjoy it like I do.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:43 pm

Dammit. Just watched the last episode of TUF. Now I find out that Sijara Eubanks is not going to be fighting tonight because she suffered kidney failure while cutting weight. I'm much less interested in seeing Roxanne fight Nicco. Oh well.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:30 am

I'm convinced the (us) football brain damage problem could be reduced slightly just if everyone stopped slapping the shit out of each others helmets after every gd play. Some guy gets a first down then his whole team goes all Shining "I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just gonna bash your brains in" on him. Once you notice it, sort of thing.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby JamishT » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:15 am

I play College Pick'em on ESPN, and the "season" wrapped up tonight. I ended up having a 91% accuracy so I'm pretty happy with it. And Ohio State beat Wisconsin, so even better!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:32 pm

This a simple hype post for Vasyl Lomachenko vs Guillermo Rigondeaux this Saturday. I don't even dare make a prediction with those two in the ring together. This will be a match of incredible skill level and a potential fight of the year.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:52 am

Anglerphobe wrote:This a simple hype post for Vasyl Lomachenko vs Guillermo Rigondeaux this Saturday. I don't even dare make a prediction with those two in the ring together. This will be a match of incredible skill level and a potential fight of the year.

For me it depends entirely on if Lomachenko is able to get inside and use his angles, if Rigo can keep his distance making the angles useless then he'd be able to win.

The fight can go either way, but I'd lean to Lomachenko.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:57 pm

There's always a danger with Rigondeaux that he will just fall back on his elusiveness and snooze his way to a comfortable decision. Against someone with the unbelievable footwork and entering ability of Lomachenko, though, I don't see him keeping that up for the whole fight. The difference in reach - usually favourable for Rigo against his opponents, is negligible here given Loma's height. That might be a factor in pressuring Rigondeaux into Loma's preferred fight. Him managing to keep the most complete boxer he could possibly face in check would be incredible. If Lomachenko looks like Lomachenko in there with El Chacal, I will not question the hype train any more. This fight asks the best possible questions of both men.
Time zones be damned (the Rigolution will be televised at about 11pm ET, which is 4am for me) this is a must-see event. It's a dream matchup. Having been pressured to do so, I've finally made a prediction. Lomachenko by unanimous decision owing to relentless pressure and pace against a smaller, older opponent and I think he will get Rigondeaux down at least once.

Another, wholly unrelated fight I'm unusually excited for is the upcoming semifinal of Rizin Fighting Federation's super-atomweight (108lb/49kg) Grand Prix between Irene Cabello and Rena Kubota. I'm a big fan of both women and particularly interested to see this contest.
Cabello is a 10th Planet BJJ brown belt with extremely long legs for the weight class. If you're unfamiliar with 10th Planet tactics, know that those two facts are very scary in combination. Lanky 10P fighters like UFC Lightweight Champion Tony Ferguson are notorious for having murderous submissions from the back using the Rubber Guard and for slick aggressive front chokes. Irene Cabello stands about 1.7m tall, making her a towering giant at +AW, and has finished several opponents using the triangle to set up armbars and chokes. She is also very effective at progressing to a full mount and hunting armbars from the top. Her striking is so-so, but she is very interesting to watch on the ground.
Rena, on the other hand, is a former Shoot Boxing star and a vicious striker with an unblemished record in MMA. For a +AW, she hits very hard and her combination striking is really impressive. She works at a very high rate, particularly in the pocket where she links up her strikes to the body and head with fearsome results. Body shot TKOs are not common in female MMA but Rena has three. She also has submissions, beating Miyu Yamamoto into a standing guillotine choke, and catching a flying armbar in her debut for Rizin a couple of years ago. Her impressive grappling was demonstrated in her last fight, in which she escaped a takedown followed by a standing back mount to end Any Nguyen with an eye-watering liver left hook. Admittedly, the back mount was a result of her distinctly sloppy stand-up from the mat but even so it was defended with skill and patience.
This is an old fashioned Japanese fighting Grand Prix to establish a Rizin FF +AW champion. The other semifinal is between grappler/wrestler Kanna Asakura and all rounder Maria Oliveira. The cool thing about all this is that the fighters are really young and fresh, representing an interesting generation in the development of women's MMA. Asakura is 20, Oliveira 21, Cabello 24, and Rena 26. Between them they represent a great variety of skills and styles which is great for the sport.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:40 am

LOMACHENKO VS RIGONDEAUX

Bloody hell... So that's how it ended.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:05 pm

That was absolutely amazing. Lomachenko completely styled on Rigondeaux for six rounds. I had him trucking through at 60-53 before Rigo threw in the towel. He wobbled him pretty hard in the sixth, too. Masterful work from Lomachenko there. It's a joy watch him do what he does.
For his part, Rigondeaux was effective early in keeping Lomachenko from getting any result from his pressure but the counters he needed simply weren't there. He could negate the offence for the most part but he had nothing to answer with. By the halfway mark the shots were really starting to land and hurt him. That was turning into a nasty drawn out TKO had they let it continue.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Rough start today. My 10-2 Vikings lost to the Panthers, and to make matters worse, the dirty rotten cheesemonger bastard Packers came from behind to beat the terrible-at-football-but-not-the-Packers Browns. It's down the the Seahawks to at least give me some light today.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:49 am

The NFL's Concussion protocol is a total joke

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:37 pm

The Eagles win but Carson Wentz goes down with a likely ACL tear.

Friends/coworkers/family all trying to either roast or console me. Like I thought the Eagles had a chance to do anything but not win the Super Bowl. At least it wasn't a dirty play but....

Why RGIII him? He was obviously hurt. He was limping badly and the leg almost gave out while he stood on it. Yeah he got a touchdown. 3 or 4 plays later. In which his career could've been ended. Who knows how much more damage he did to it just to get a score that Nick Foles could've handled?

My favorite part of the game? Thinking about how many gamblers either shit a brick or fist pumped out of happiness that the Eagles went from winning by 2 to winning by 8 at the very last second due to a fluke pick 6. It's obvious the Rams defense aren't betting on their own games so that's a good thing.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:09 pm

The UFC decided to hype the upcoming heavyweight title fight by showing images of an unconscious Alistair Overeem staring into space cut with a woman in the crowd looking horrified. That's pretty classless. A lot of people, myself included, were genuinely concerned for Reem's safety in that moment. He was knocked out cold and he didn't come round for a long time. It's a low blow for them to use such a harrowing time in the life of one of their veteran fighters for a hype job.

The Rizin fight I was excited about upthread happened in the double GP event this weekend, though it was a bit less than it could have been. Rena dominated so thoroughly on the feet that we never got to see the potentially interesting grappling and wrestling/sprawling match. It was a quick walk down followed by a flurry at the ropes which completely clobbered Cabello for a first round KO win. She went on to get absolutely demolished on the ground by youngster Kanna Asakura after some cagey standup which led her to walk onto a double leg and get swept into side control from her sprawl attempt. Asakura made a mockery of her thereafter, choking her limp in about twenty seconds.
The Rizin GP double header was really good overall, far better than UFC 219, and owed no small part of it to the absence of Gabi Garcia and her grandmother battering antics. Kyoji Horiguchi looked superb as ever in the bantamweight tournament. It would be nice to see him fight Mighty Mouse again at some point, but he may have to wait for Demetrious to fight Floyd Mayweather before he gets that shot.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext