Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby Cordslash » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:35 pm

Am I the last Aston Villa supporter alive? It seems that way. Loved them since I was a kid and a couple of years ago, while in Birmingham, I finally saw them play and then bought a bunch of shirts and other memorabilia.
Now every time I proudly wear an AV shirt some stranger will comment along the lines of "Seriously dude, Aston Villa? No one supports them anymore." To which I wittily respond "Fuck you. You stay loyal to the team of your childhood."
That really happens. Hell it happened 3 days ago.

They also have great scarves:
http://images.soccerbox.com/astonvillabarscarf.jpg

And Chaise Stade Francais has excellent rugby shirts. The pink is pretty damn cool and I have one of them myself.
http://www.subsidesports.com/uk/images/product/large/StadeFrancaisASSRugby0708.gif

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby D-LOGAN » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:47 pm

HELL TO THE YEAH!!!!! Personally I hate sports, never got it, doesn't make sense to me. But I love that other people love it! I guess I have a weird fascination with things that don't fascinate me. I mean most of my friends are mad into sport, and I'll admit to a wee twinge o' envy. Seems to be a very unique vibe to the joy it inspires.
Cater to all I say (within reason), and a steady doom to those who would oppose such a notion!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby gregfrankenstein » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:36 am

Only if we add horoscopes and a Family Circus panel.

Alright fine, I'll settle for just sports. God, I am such an Aquarius.

gregfrankenstein
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Heightener of Fives

Postby Jack Road » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:42 am

I like learning about sports from a different perspective. Like a weight training class I'm taking right now, they talk about football in terms of thrust and direction. That I can get behind. And debates about the economic repercussions of Sumo Wrestling Cheating and Over Funding of the World Cup and shiz niz.

But when I actually try to watch sports, it is all "look at this dude scratching his nuts, he is probably thinking about how blah blah was in that blah blah position last blah blah blah and that caused blah blah to happen.

If every NFL game was the announcer saying "Just look at the amount of forward thrust he generated! That must have taken a great deal of training for him to overclock his opponent's body weight, which is 10 kilograms greater! Back to Jim, who is going to talk about how the new stadium this home team is playing in has affected regional mortgage rates!"

I'd watch the hell out of that.

Also if they had more homoerotic advertisements.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:13 pm

Yes! I can look like a dude now! Because I was a festering cesspool of feminine charm before, I know, I know...

Can't never get into college football. Malcolm Gladwell wrote a really good article that was featured in What the Dog Saw about the problem with finding talent in fields that aren't necessarily representative of the work such talent will eventually be doing, and a big part of it was concerned with how different the college game is compared to the pros. College QBs can step back and evaluate, run lots of quick fast slant passes, or puts bombs in the air that most pro teams just can't manage. The line is made up of way heavier, stronger, scarier guys, like three hundred pounds of angry muscle that wants to knock people over, and pro QBs just don't have the luxury of time college boys do. If you don't like sports I suggest reading that article; it can really make you appreciate just how much strategy and brain goes into planning every play. Incidentally the article also mentions that the IQ test given to quarterbacks seems to matter very little in determining how well they'll actually play, but then again that's true of most IQ tests for most applications.

That said, it was a blast watching Cardale Jones against Oregon the other night. That guy would not go down. He's slinging these guys over his neck like he doesn't even care. I don't know if he's got a bright future in the pros, and at this point neither does he, apparently. It'll be interesting to watch unfold.

Also, Chase Daniel, the QB from the Gladwell piece, is now the quarterback of the Chiefs. That's pretty cool.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:36 am

I read that article. The part about the Patriots QB who was tearing up the league (Tom Brady) despite never starting in college is incorrect though.

College QBs look better because they play against weak talent for the most part. Yeah they may face a team that has one or two or 5 future NFL players but football is about matchups and exploiting them. Johnny Manziel looked like a magician in college but playing against the Bengals after more than half a season of practice he looked like a chump. The spread offense doesn't work in the NFL because of speed. Linebackers are faster than they were 20 years ago. Safeties blitz the QB more often as well. Open lanes end up in interceptions or the QB going down.

Chase Daniel and countless other QBs like Tim Couch who was mentioned in the article have trouble based on who they end up playing for. Tim Couch had no quality offensive players around him. He never had a chance and by the time he got a second chance he was so shell shocked he literally fell down instead of taking another hard hit as soon as he was pressured.

So much of NFL success is chance. There are 3 QBs playing who have multiple Super Bowls. Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round and wasn't the full time starter in college until halfway through his senior year. He only got on the field because Drew Bledsoe got injured. Ben Roethlisberger only got on the field so early in his career because the two quarterbacks ahead of him on the depth chart got injured. Eli Manning is the exception here because he was drafted with the intent of playing ASAP and with Kurt Warner stinking up the place he got his chance. He is also statistically the "most clutch postseason QB of all time" according to fivethirtyeight.com

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-most-clutch-postseason-quarterback-of-all-time-is-eli-manning/

Who knows what would've happened if Chase Daniel was drafted, let alone by a team that had good coaches. Poor guy was picked up by the Redskins who were just as much of a clusterfuck in 1999 as they are now.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Andropov4 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:13 pm

I'm pretty into sports (mostly baseball, football, and basketball). I'm highly fond of advanced statistical analysis, which makes me a hugely popular person in sports discussions.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby sunglasses » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:16 pm

Andropov4 wrote:I'm pretty into sports (mostly baseball, football, and basketball). I'm highly fond of advanced statistical analysis, which makes me a hugely popular person in sports discussions.

Can't tell if sarcastic or serious but I bet the bookies would love you.

What are the odds on Some Stupid Horse Name? Asking for a friend.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Andropov4 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:27 pm

Oh, I'm definitely being sarcastic. Most sports fans seem to balk (get it? GET IT?) at any stat more complex than sacks or batting average. OPS is somehow not accepted as a quality stat by a lot of people, because "it's just a made up number". You know, like every single other statistic on the planet.

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:32 pm

Andropov4 wrote:Oh, I'm definitely being sarcastic. Most sports fans seem to balk (get it? GET IT?) at any stat more complex than sacks or batting average. OPS is somehow not accepted as a quality stat by a lot of people, because "it's just a made up number". You know, like every single other statistic on the planet.

I will have you know Andro, that my boyfriend would love you. LOVE you. In all seriousness. He mumbles constantly about statistics and watching patterns and how math is easy why can't everyone see it.

This includes sports. He loves putting sports and math together. It's just natural for him.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Oooh and I love statistical outliers like the Orioles of 2012 that make stat lovers heads a-splode.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:43 am

So holy crap that Seattle/Green Bay game. ANYBODY?

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Suckerfish » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:49 am

Matthew Notch wrote:So holy crap that Seattle/Green Bay game. ANYBODY?

Holy Crap that Patriots/Colts game...for an entirely different reason!

Warning: The text above is probably misspelled, grammatically incorrect, and morally bankrupt. Reader discretion is advised. This is not a test. By reading this signature you waive your right to participate in a class action lawsuit.
Suckerfish
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: That Other Guy

Postby Andropov4 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:57 am

I expected Seattle to win, but definitely not like that. The field goal fake was ballsy, and it's usually pretty surprising when a non-surprise onside kick works out. But the most impressive part of that comeback was definitely the amount of running they did in a situation that requires large chunks of yardage without wasting time. And it friggin' worked. No two-minute drill should be able to succeed on the back of read-option runs. Those last drives were really what I expected the Seahawks to do to the Packers' defense all game long.

As for the Colts-Patriots game...that was just a slaughter. I'm even more confused as to how the Colts beat Denver.

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:07 am

I'd like to point out that Daniel "Boom" Herron, the Indy running back, is an alumnus of THE Ohio State University.

That is the extent to which I care about the NFL outside of Fantasy Football.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

PreviousNext