Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:58 am

Anglerphobe wrote:GGG vs Canelo 2: The repunchening is almost upon us.

The main event speaks for itself, but as an added bonus there's a somewhat rare thing tonight in an HBO boxing undercard that is really worth watching. Aside from HBO trying to build a new Canelo with Jamie Munguia, there are two interesting fights of once champions against rugged contenders.
Former super flyweight world champion Roman Gonzalez (aka Chocolatito) has his comeback fight at the start of the ppv, after his shocking back to back losses against Srisaket Sor Rungvisai. He's fighting Moises Fuentes, who would not normally be considered comeback fight material as he's a former minimumweight world champion and has a respectable record in the division. I really would like Chocolatito to win that one, but I expect a fun fight whatever the result.

There will also be a frightful uncivilised brawl in Gary O'Sullivan vs David Lemieux, which does have the potential to be quite depressing if you're a fan of the latter. He's had a bit of a fall from grave since GGG mauled him and tko'd him a few years ago, but he's still all entertainment. O'Sullivan is a hard hitter too and is notoriously relentless on the attack. It should add up to a very hard fought contest. I have no horse in this race, but I do find Lemieux very entertaining, and Canada was on our side in the war.

Any predictions for GGG-Canelo 2?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:12 pm

I might be crazy, but I have an odd feeling that Canelo wins it this time. I've been watching the first fight back a few times and, while I still think GGG won it fair and square, I can see where Alvarez could adjust his fight and take advantage of some of GGG's characteristics. I'm taking Canelo Alvarez by unanimous decision.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:29 am

Anglerphobe wrote:I might be crazy, but I have an odd feeling that Canelo wins it this time. I've been watching the first fight back a few times and, while I still think GGG won it fair and square, I can see where Alvarez could adjust his fight and take advantage of some of GGG's characteristics. I'm taking Canelo Alvarez by unanimous decision.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/boxing/wo ... 3ebffa54a4

According to the judges you'd be almost right, Canelo by majority decision.

I gotta watch this fight fast because I heard it was amazing (was gardening while it unfolded not knowing the exact time it'd start).

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:35 pm

You really should catch it. It was a classic. I saw five clear rounds (2 for Canelo and 3 for GGG) and seven which could have gone either way. On the night I thought GGG won 115-113, but it was 5am here and I was legless so I will rewatch. The consensus of my friends is that the right man won the decision, but there is some dispute. It was an amazing fight, though.

For some strange reason, there was an incredibly long gap between the last fight on the undercard and the main event. All three of the ppv undercard fights ended early, nine rounds contested between them, which might have thrown off the broadcasting schedule. I can only guess GGG's and Canelo's teams didn't want to walk early.
Choco destroyed Fuentes in five, winning every round, but he arguably looked a bit ring rusty. The last two years have been either inactivity or losing to Srisaket for him, so that ought to be expected. It's a great win, but not a vintage Chocolatito performance from when he was considered among the best pound for pound fighters in the world.
Lemieux starched Gary O'Sullivan in just one round. Though he doesn't fight very often these days, Lemieux puts in knockout of the year contenders each time he does step in the ring. This one was a clean, leaning left hook which landed beautifully across the jab of O'Sullivan. This actually sets him up as a challenger to Canelo, or a for a rematch with GGG. For his health, I hope he doesn't choose the latter.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:40 am

I watched the fight and damn it was a good one, fight of the year for sure. The last rounds in particular was a bloody, violent clash of two titans.

Rounds were close but I had it Golovkin, so this marks one more time yet again in which I disagreed with the judges (I also felt the commentary was really biased against Golovkin).

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:42 pm

Was it the HBO commentary you watched, Jim? I've heard a lot of people saying the same thing about it. Personally, I don't like boxing commentary in general, or sporting commentary of any kind, unless it's this guy:

I agree about the scores, but it's not a robbery like the last fight. There's a decent argument for both men in an extremely close contest this time. I wouldn't mind a third fight at some point. Canelo has some defences to get through first, and GGG is probably going to horribly smash some unfortunate individual in his next fight, but I expect them to have a third date after this.

In mma, Jon Jones will soon return to competition, having reduced his original 48 month suspension for a drug test failure at UFC 214 last July to just 15 months. Presumably, he did this by ratting some people out. His home gym, Jackson-Winkeljohn in Albuquerque, has behaved in a decidedly shady fashion in the past when it comes to fighters suspected or known to be involved in performance enhancing drugs. If Jones has traded months of suspension for dirt on other drug cheats or cheating methods, it will be interesting to see who USADA goes after next.
Whatever the case, Jones is back and will soon be looking for a fight. I don't know who he could fight, though. DC has a fight against Brock Lesnar booked, but I think he is proud enough to take one last shot at Jon before retiring. Jon looks really big these days, so he might come back at heavyweight and fight Stipe Miocic or maybe even Cain Velasquez.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:05 pm

It seems Amazon offered up an alternate broadcast team for last night's NFL game. Hannah Storm and Andrea Kremer were an audio option alongside English and Espanol.

It was angled as an explanatory type of commentary meant to explain terminology and strategies and storylines. You know, what normal commentators should be doing but when Joe Buck is on your TV broadcast you're going to get about none of that.

I think the problem with a lot of sports announcers that aren't good is burnout. Some can handle it and others just can't. I've seen Mike Tirico call Sunday Night Baseball on the west coast, Monday Night Football on the other side of the country and then do Sportscenter the next morning from ESPN studios in Connecticut. I don't think Joe Buck can do the baseball and football thing.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Absentia » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:25 am

Unfortunately, those of us watching the game on boring old TV were stuck with Buck and Aikman.

I can never figure out if I hate both Joe Buck and Troy Aikman individually, or if I just hate Troy Aikman so much that I have a Pavlovian conditioned response to also hate Joe Buck. All I know is I have to watch entirely too many NFC East games on mute to preserve my sanity.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:39 am

https://www.boxingscene.com/boxing-world-take-tyson-fury-seriously--132303

I really can't wait until December 1st... I'm hoping that Tyson Fury does another upset just to completely throw a spanner in the heavyweight division again, and then beat AJ who I feel is a bit overhyped in a weak era.

That's my dream.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:36 am

So I happened to catch the McGregor v. Russian Dude UFC match tonight.

Spoiler: show
I've never seen either fight, but I figured if the Russian Dude was as good on the ground as the commentators were saying, he was gonna win. His leg control was wild, and that ground-and-pound was brutal. McGregor did his gosh darn best, even doing a little cheating, but couldn't stop Russian Dude from taking it to the ground.

I think Russian Dude should be stripped of the title for the after match antics, though. That's just being a complete idiot, and the UFC would look professional and stuff if they leveled every penalty they had against him.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:40 pm

JamishT wrote:So I happened to catch the McGregor v. Russian Dude UFC match tonight.

Spoiler: show
I've never seen either fight, but I figured if the Russian Dude was as good on the ground as the commentators were saying, he was gonna win. His leg control was wild, and that ground-and-pound was brutal. McGregor did his gosh darn best, even doing a little cheating, but couldn't stop Russian Dude from taking it to the ground.

I think Russian Dude should be stripped of the title for the after match antics, though. That's just being a complete idiot, and the UFC would look professional and stuff if they leveled every penalty they had against him.

Whoa, so the Russian won? I guess I gotta find this fight (usually watch boxing but I'll give it a go).

What you think it means for ufc now that the face of the sport lost?

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:02 pm

I suspect I am the only one on here who has a real interest in mixed martial arts, so I know to expect it, but it does still give me a slight pang of sadness to hear Khabib Nurmagomedov referred to as "Russian Dude." I'm not blaming either of you, of course, but he is one of the greats and I hope in time he will get more recognition.
It also saddens me a little bit that the fracas after the McBib fight is overshadowing such a great night of mma competition. The co-main was one of the most exciting and action packed two rounders I can call to memory, the battle of the Tonys between Ugly Tony Ferguson and Pretty Anthony Pettis. If any of you were wondering why the floor of octagon was so bloody for the main event, it was the result of Ugly's handiwork. Many of the other fights delivered, too.
I found the big fight itself very gripping to watch, although I thought McGregor looked ring rusty after his two year layoff. His timing and movement were noticeably off, compared to his previous performances. Khabib of course put on a masterclass. His victory was the result that benefits the sport more, in my opinion. Every belt McGregor holds ends up a catastrophe, and Khabib has finally re-legitimised the lightweight title again. Conor winning would have dragged things back. I do believe McGregor is capable of beating Khabib. I think to do it, though, he would need to take a smaller fight and start a real run like he did the last time he faced a seemingly invincible champion down at featherweight, and I doubt he will do that now.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:17 pm

Do4FMmKW4AE-ZkA.jpeg
Do4FMmKW4AE-ZkA.jpeg (73.64 KiB) Viewed 5991 times

Best post-match interview ever.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:38 pm

As likeable as Derrick Lewis is, it is astounding that he is likely the top ranked heavyweight contender now. I know heavyweight is terrible but this is like a glitch in the matrix. What he managed to pull off in there last night was Rockyesque. Volkov was thirty seconds away from a clean decision victory over a thoroughly depleted Lewis when that overhand finally landed.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:30 pm

If Khabib is stripped of the title for what happened that would be hilarious seeing as how the UFC and Dana White specifically put their arms around Conor after he assaulted a bus full of their fighters. Sure Dana said it was a bad thing but they used it to promote the ppv so it can't be that bad for business.

Casual Conor fans can go away now. Their boy has been exposed multiple times and if he actually dedicated himself to mma instead of being a celebrity he'd have been a much tougher opponent for Khabib.

Also idk how crazy Khabib and his crew are but Conor saying "fuck peace" and "this will never end" about a bunch of Russians who could be connected to who knows what kind of knuckleheads in their country. I mean, I wouldn't be saying things like that about people I didn't actually know. It's, it's just fighting man, don't act like you're in a gang war unless you don't mind to end up in one.

Actually nevermind they can go ahead and strip Khabib because a UFC title really just means you won a main event or co main event and title lineage is taken as seriously as the WWE so it's not like he took the belt from Conor or Tony to begin with. I, like a lot of people, have been wanting to see him fight Tony but the universe needs to line that up better.

Unrelated to MMA, if the Redskins lose tonight the NFC East will become the only division in the NFL to have no teams with a winning record after 5 weeks. Should the Redskins lose their record would become 2-2. And they would still have a one game lead. It is entirely possible the Cowboys and Eagles are the best 2-3 teams in the NFL. For what that's worth.

NFL post script: the Packers kicker. Mason Crosby. Mr. Automatic. The only kicker I've ever wanted on my fantasy team. *presses play, "So You Had a Bad Day" begins* He missed 4 field goals worth twelve total points and also missed an extra point attempt worth one point. That's 13 points he did not score. The Packers lost by..... 8. I'd like to chalk it up to the elements or field surface but the game was played indoors. His final field goal attempt was done so the Packers could hopefully score and then do an onside kick and get the ball back and score a touchdown to take the lead. He made that field goal so at least he knows he's not a complete shankopotomous.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext