Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:52 pm

You may remember when, last October, I posted about an outrageous squash match at Glory Kickboxing in China in which the referee showed the only adherence to professionalism in the whole affair by stopping the fight before the overmatched debutant could receive too much punishment.

If you had wondered what that might have looked like had the referee not done such a good job of protecting the competitors, the answer is:
like this
No video this time because the UFC will hunt TCS down if I include anything like that.

That is Valentina Shevchenko beating the living shit out of Prisicla Cachoeira in the second round of their UFC Flyweight contest in Belém last night. That picture isn't even the end of the fight. It kept going for about 30 seconds after that with no intervention from the referee.
The fight should not have been made in the first place, Shevchenko is one of the best female fighters in the world and Cachoeira was a UFC debutante, but even then it was worse than it needed to be. I think commentator Paul Felder was a touch dramatic in saying the fight could have been stopped in the first round, because Cachoeira was still intelligently (if not very effectively) defending herself as Shevchenko sat in her guard mauling her like Khabib Nurmagomedov's female alter ego. The second round, though, should not have lasted four and a half minutes. Cachoeira spent over a minute of it trapped underneath Shevchenko in a crucifix getting punched and elbowed in the head with no ability to prevent it or to escape. The referee (Mario Yamasaki, who has a track record of late stoppages) allowed Cachoeira to take her beating until Shevchenko gave up on hitting her and started choking her instead.
The significant strike differential ended up at a staggering 93 (95 Shevchenko 2 Cachoeira) which is just ludicrous for a two round fight. It's short of Joanna Violence's all time SSD record of 142 (225 Violence 83 Andrade) but that was a five round thrashing, albeit against a much better opponent. This was just under ten minutes long.
I have two particular thoughts on this - besides the obvious. Firstly, many female fighters have complained that referees are more likely to stop their contests than they are men's fights because (they allege) of some belief that women shouldn't be allowed to get hurt as much. There is merit to this. The general response to this from the mostly male mma community has been far worse than for last year's incident in which Yamasaki allowed heavyweight Derrick Lewis to land three or four heavy blows on an already unconscious Travis Browne - which was far worse in potential damage than almost anything that could have happened in last night's fight. Sexism in sport could really have a whole thread, but in this particular dimension it seems plausible that a conscious or subconscious prejudice is at play. Men don't mind seeing fellow men getting beaten up nearly as much as we mind seeing women getting beaten up, at least in general.
Secondly, people need to get off Shevchenko's proverbial dick about this. She won, yes, and dominated, but it was against a hopelessly outmatched opponent. People were talking about the rest of the division ducking her and rivals Amanda Nunes and J-Violence delaying or revising any plans they had to fight her when they saw what was going on. It's nonsense. This victory has no relevance to the context of the elite female fighters. While I can understand why Shevchenko took the fight (to get paid and post a win in her new division) she was bayoneting a sack of straw and she knows it.

Last edited by Anglerphobe on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:42 am

I resolved not to watch this Superbowl, because I know it's gonna end in heartbreak and I'm gonna see Tom Brady march to inevitable victory.

But still...Holy. Shit. That fourth and goal call by Doug Peterson. Just going for it with a bullshit schoolyard trick play against the Patriots in the Superbowl. Win or lose, you're gonna see that play replayed for decades.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:20 am

What a goddamn game.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:53 am

3bf7e24.jpg
3bf7e24.jpg (117.37 KiB) Viewed 5837 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:59 pm

The only appropriate way to mark this Superbowl is with a LOTR remake featuring Nick Foles as Frodo, Chris Long as Sam, Brandon Graham as Aragon, with Bellichick as Sauron and Tom Brady as the Witch King. Carson Wentz can be Tom Bombadil, I guess.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:The only appropriate way to mark this Superbowl is with a LOTR remake featuring Nick Foles as Frodo, Chris Long as Sam, Brandon Graham as Aragon, with Bellichick as Sauron and Tom Brady as the Witch King. Carson Wentz can be Tom Bombadil, I guess.

Carson Wentz should be Boromir,

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Absentia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:57 pm

Fuck the fucking Eagles.

At least it was a good game mostly unmarred by the officials. My only major complaint is how the hell is decapitating Brandin Cooks with a helmet-to-helmet blindside not 15 yards and an ejection? I thought we were supposed to think the NFL was taking head trauma seriously.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:00 pm

Absentia wrote:Fuck the fucking Eagles.

At least it was a good game mostly unmarred by the officials. My only major complaint is how the hell is decapitating Brandin Cooks with a helmet-to-helmet blindside not 15 yards and an ejection? I thought we were supposed to think the NFL was taking head trauma seriously.

The Patriots wire transfers to the referees bank accounts must've not gone through in time.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:34 pm

Absentia wrote:Fuck the fucking Eagles.

Once he established himself as runner, he was no longer considered "defenseless" and it becomes a legal hit.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:37 pm

Helmet-to-helmet is supposed to be illegal against anybody, any time. Cooks is lucky his neck isn't broken.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:29 pm

Absentia wrote:Helmet-to-helmet is supposed to be illegal against anybody, any time.

Nope.

Helmets collide on every play in football, especially on the offensive and defensive lines. Even making a tackle often results in a completely legal collision of helmets because ball carriers often lean forward or duck their head before impact.

In Super Bowl 52, New England Patriots receiver Brandin Cooks was taken to the locker room after a brutal helmet-to-helmet hit left him motionless on the turf. It did not draw a penalty, because he had established himself as a runner.

The gist is that hitting a defenseless player in the head or neck area is illegal.

What’s a defenseless player?

A ball carrier who has established himself as a runner is considered able to defend themselves.

But in many cases a player is defined as “defenseless,” which means helmet-to-helmet contact isn’t allowed. Here are a few of the most common cases, with the wording in the NFL rulebook:

-A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass (passing posture)

-A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player

-A player on the ground

ETA: That being said, they should probably adjust the rules for situations like this. Of course, Cooks turned right into the tackle, so it doesn't appear to have been intentional.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:12 pm

Huh. Maybe I'm getting the NFL and college rules mixed up. Still seems a pity that we're just going to let a guy get blasted in the head because he managed to turn upfield before he got blindsided. It's not necessary for the defender to lead with his helmet like that.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:54 pm

"Eagles beat Patriots to win Superbowl" is by far the most American sentence I've read this year. Each time I look at it I get a powerful urge to put on a wide brimmed hat and eat an enormous sandwich.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:43 pm

Absentia wrote:Helmet-to-helmet is supposed to be illegal against anybody, any time. Cooks is lucky his neck isn't broken.

I've been saying for years the NFL is a joke when it comes to caring about head trauma. Depending on the officiating crew some quarterbacks are untouchable anywhere on their body. Receivers in the act of catching are supposed to be off limits and also for a half second afterwards. Everyone else, go over there and fuck yourself elbow deep. I've seen running backs drilled in the side of their helmet with the crown of a defenders helmet. Never a penalty. Makes me sick.

When the play you mentioned happened I thought Jenkins was going to get thrown out and the Pats were getting 15 free yards or more because imo that's some put it at the spot of the foul then mark off 15 yards type shit. But then I realized he :geek: established himself as a runner.

Oh also fuck Cris Collinsworth. He's such a hater. Is it too much to ask an announcer to be unbiased? Troy Aikman calls Cowboys games all the time and doesn't act like he's pining for them to win. Collinsworth played his whole career for the Bengals so I don't get his undying love for the Patriots, Cowboys, and the Colts and Broncos when Peyton Manning was playing. He's a front runner and needs to get out of the booth. Thank God Above that Tony Romo retired and works for a different network than Cris. He'd talk non-stop about Romo even when he wasn't on the field.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:35 pm

Around the ongoing controversy, or alleged controversy, of Formula One grid girls, walk out girls, and ring card girls, mixed martial artist Elias Theodorou has been working at events for his hometown Montreal Fight League promotion as a ring card boy. He says he wants to perfect his ring card boy game in the minor league before going on to work for Invicta Fighting Championships, a major women's mma promotion, in the hopes of setting a trend for the acceptance of male ring card bearers in the sport.
Personally, I find all this stuff a bit passé anyway, so I wouldn't give a shit if they stop having grid girls and ring card girls or boys at all. One of the promotions I watch, the Russian ACB mma league, doesn't have them and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of it in the slightest. It also doesn't seem that Theodorou is trying to make a political point here. He's just doing this because he wants to and I think his goal is to see that other men can have the same opportunity that his existing mma fame has given him.

In other, depressingly familiar news, Floyd Mayweather and Dana White have been creating a buzz about the former's possible debut in mixed martial arts in the UFC. While I highly doubt Floyd would ever do it, it's indicative of the completely disrespectful attitude the promotion has towards its own fighters. It is an actual possibility that we will see Floyd Mayweather fight CM Punk in the UFC, a purportedly legitimate elite mma promotion, and each of them would make several times more than all of the real mixed martial artists on the card combined.
Part of me does want to respect CM Punk for actually turning up and getting in the cage with a pro fighter, surely knowing that he was about to catch a vicious beating, but that being said I'm pretty sure I would accept a bout with anyone on the UFC roster if I got paid even half the ludicrous amounts that both he and Mayweather would make for putting on a performance that probably wouldn't be much better than mine.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext