Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:06 pm

This last win against William Silva is probably his best to date in terms of the quality of the performance. His last two fights before this one, against Vitor Freitas and Juan Pablo Sanchez, were also very impressive. He hasn't fought any seriously good competition yet, but he is only ten fights into his pro career.

As far as highlights go, his knockout of Ronald Rivas was picture perfect. I only have it in jerky gif form unfortunately. I don't doubt the footage is on Youtube somewhere though.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:47 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:This last win against William Silva is probably his best to date in terms of the quality of the performance. His last two fights before this one, against Vitor Freitas and Juan Pablo Sanchez, were also very impressive. He hasn't fought any seriously good competition yet, but he is only ten fights into his pro career.

As far as highlights go, his knockout of Ronald Rivas was picture perfect. I only have it in jerky gif form unfortunately. I don't doubt the footage is on Youtube somewhere though.

Spoiler: show

I was watching his William Silva fight and while he had good head movement I did not like that he kept his hands so low, when the quality of his opposition begins to rise from the journeymen and bum of the month he faces now I feel he will be in for some trouble.

Lomachenko hasn't had as many professional fights I think but I'm certain he would wipe the floor with that guy, speaking of Lomachenko how the hell did he rise up and get title fights so early?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Loma is about seven years older than Lopez, so it's not an entirely fair comparison. Teofimo Lopez is a high potential prospect, but he's barely 21. Definitely a work in progress. He and Lomachenko both built their boxing careers outside of the professional scene with lots of amateur fights before turning pro with a relatively high level of experience. Loma's second pro fight was for a title because his amateur experience was so hyped.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:Loma is about seven years older than Lopez, so it's not an entirely fair comparison. Teofimo Lopez is a high potential prospect, but he's barely 21. Definitely a work in progress. He and Lomachenko both built their boxing careers outside of the professional scene with lots of amateur fights before turning pro with a relatively high level of experience. Loma's second pro fight was for a title because his amateur experience was so hyped.

21 years old, it'll certainly be interesting to see him grow and develop further.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:33 am

The trend of unearthing old tweets to use against the person who made them has visited current UFC contender, former champion, Cody Garbrandt.

He is accused of using racist language.

Without making anyone follow the link, I'll post a couple of them here:

"They gonna fly for a nigga like me"

"movin in this week nigga"

"Niggas say they always looking for me but they never there"

Ok. I'm not a fan of Cody because I think he's a shortsighted pompous whiner. However I fail to see anything racist about his tweets. If that's racist then I've been racist my whole life and I blame all my black and hispanic friends for using the word so much that it became normal.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby JamishT » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:50 am

In my world, the greatest team is the Ohio State Buckeyes.

Which makes it just faaaaantastic when the head coach, Urban Meyer (in case you forgot), has been suspended pending an investigation. There was an incident in 2009 where an assistant coach was arrested for assaulting his wife (who dropped the charges, but anyone who knows about anything about abusive relationships knows that doesn't mean it didn't happen), and Urban said he knew about it and told the coach to go to counseling. This happened while they were working Florida, and who knows what the school rules are there. They were also winning a lot, so maybe the school didn't care.

In 2015, the assistant coach was accused of more domestic assault, this time in Ohio since he had moved with Urban when he was hired as Ohio State's head coach. Also, the assistant coach is the grandson of a former Ohio State coach (who kept losing to Michigan, but that's beside the point), just to throw in some good ol nepotism or whatever. Urban says he didn't know about that one. The police were called, but no charges were filed, but there is one staff member who says that Urban did actually know about it. Also the victim/wife of the assistant coach was apparently telling Urban's wife about the abuse throughout the years, but she never got any confirmation that Mrs. Meyer was telling him about it.

All this came out because the assistant coach allegedly kept violating the terms of his divorce that happened at some point. The wife decided to go public with the details of his abuse of her, and indirectly, Urban's alleged knowledge of it (and subsequent inaction about it).

I think the Buckeye's can win under any decent coach, and this is way different from the last coach they fired (Tressel, who knew his players were selling their own memorabilia...which is a problem according to the NCAA).

EDIT: source link http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24265385/ohio-state-faq-know-urban-meyer-zach-smith-investigation

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Anglerphobe » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:39 pm

iMURDAu wrote:The trend of unearthing old tweets to use against the person who made them has visited current UFC contender, former champion, Cody Garbrandt.

I think the most recent of these tweets was in 2013. Even if you do consider it racist and unacceptable, Cody didn't debut in the UFC until two years after the last "nigga" tweet. It's meaningless as a way to judge the man who will fight on Saturday.
Speaking of Saturday, I'm actually quite worried that he took the Championship rematch too soon. If Dillashaw beats him this time, it will set his career back badly. As irritating as he can be outside the ring, he's a great fighter. I think if he comes back and beats TJ, it will make up for a lot of shit tattoos and ridiculous antics. He has seemed much more bearable in the last year or so, too. Having a baby seems to have matured him.

Also, it looks like I was wrong once again in trying to predict how boxing promoters will behave. Tyson Fury's next fight is such a joke that he is already in bout negotiations to face Deontay Wilder in December. This is much faster than I thought Fury was going to get back into real contention. I imagine Wilder views it as a potentially valuable scalp. He wants leverage for a Joshua fight, and the head of the former unified champ on a platter is a good thing to have for that.
I'm almost sure a fit, pre crazy obesity Fury would mop the floor with Deontay, but I'm not confident that will be the man who steps into the ring. Right now, I like Wilder's chances. If Fury does win, it will set up possibly the biggest heavyweight fight of this decade at some point next year, to unify the belts.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:08 pm

I believe Henry Cejudo defeating Mighty Mouse is more about him overcoming his final obstacle to becoming a champion than it is about a champion finally losing after so many defenses. I do think Cejudo is a bit bonkers for wanting to fight TJ. But it would be a good fight and a yuge payday for both of them.

Speaking of TJ, he managed to beat Cody again. Convincingly. And said he's the best fighter in the history of that weight class. I would like love to see him and Dominick Cruz go at it again at some point. I'm pretty sure that's the only loss he hasn't avenged and their first fight was a War.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Cruz is Cruz though, so we might be waiting a year for that fight, then another two years after it for Dom to defend the belt again if he wins. John Dodson must be the fight TJ really wants to run back. He knocked TJ out while Cruz got a dubious decision.

Speaking of dubious decisions, it's frustrating that Demetrious Johnson's legendary title reign came to its end by inept judging. I had it 4-1 for Mighty Mouse by the end, all excruciatingly close rounds. I can justify 3-2 Mighty Mouse but nothing more than two rounds for Cejudo. It's actually quite reminiscent of Dillashaw's title loss to Cruz. At least it was a great fight. Amazingly, this was the first flyweight bout to grace the ppv main card so far this year. I hope that changes in light of the epic fight they had.

I want Dillashaw to fight Marlon Moraes and Cejudo to give Mighty Mouse his rematch. If anyone ever deserved a championship rubber match, it is him.

EDIT:

The CSAC published the day-of-contest weigh in results, which were rather interesting. I'm not sure exactly where or when the measurements were taken, other than that they were done on Saturday at some time before the fights. It sheds light on the reality of weight classes in mixed martial arts.
The basic outline is that pretty much everyone was over the stipulated 110% of their official weight by the time they were in the ring. The weight cuts were drastic. It was particularly interesting to see that flyweights Demetrious Johnson, Henry Cejudo, and Jose Torres, and bantamweight Cody Garbrandt all weighed about the same in the ring (142lb or 64.4kg), despite Garbrandt weighing in ten pounds heavier than the other three the previous day. Another flyweight on the card, Alex Perez, was significantly heavier than Garbrandt on fight night, at 146.5lb or 66.4kg, which is over the weight limit for featherweight, two whole weight classes and almost 10kg above his Saturday weigh in 36 hours earlier. That is scary.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:41 pm

Following a bread and butter win over Pianeta last weekend, Tyson Fury is now officially set to face Deontay Wilder for the WBC heavyweight title at some point this year. Fury vs Wilder: Wild Fury will be the first post-hiatus title fight for the recently reanimated former champion. I predict a terrible fight, in which Wilder doesn't land anything and Fury doesn't do much. There is a moderate to decent chance that Deontay will flatten Fury at some point with one big punch, but I think a dull decision favouring the fat man is more likely.

Boxing also had some bizarre goings on this weekend, with a retirement at 0:01 of round 1 in a heavyweight fight in Minneapolis. The retiree was a journeyman intended to provide a rung for young prospect Efe Ajagba to climb. He has been pilloried online by pretty much everyone in the boxing world as a result. He says he did in protest of poor pay. I've heard from different sources that it was about his pay for that bout (specifically a pay cut he was forced to take by the promoter) or that it was a protest against low pay for low level boxers in general. If it is the latter, he does have a point. WBO super bantamweight champion Isaac Dogboe reportedly made around $65,000 for his title defence on the same night. That doesn't sound too bad on its own, but compared to what the top earners' opponents get paid it's laughable, and he's a champion. When you account for training camp fees, paying his team, and taxes, that's not a good rate for risking your brain cells, especially when the guy Tyson Fury warms his gloves on doubles or even triples it. Most low level fighters are paid far, far less than that, to boot.
The other bizarre event was the much hyped Youtube fight, which went to a draw. I must admit that I didn't bother to watch it, but I will say that I had expected Logan Paul to win handily. Presumably this outcome means they must rematch over and over until there is a conclusive result.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:55 pm

Darren Till fights Saturday night for the 170 lb. title. I currently weigh around 178 lbs. Based on past incidents it's fair to wonder if I could make weight easier than him.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:04 pm

Almost certainly. He seems to walk around at a similar weight to the bigger middleweights (Weidman, Romero et al, all around 210-220 lb) so his water cut is from at least the low to mid 180's if the rest of his cut is on track. I doubt he stays at welterweight for more than two fights if he wins, or more than zero if he loses.

E - Well, he made weight with a pound to spare. What's more he didn't look that horrible, as far as people missing a fifth of their usual body mass go. I'm mildly disappointed that the UFC couldn't put together another fight for Shevchenko after Montano pulled out, but it's not the end of the world. It was going to be one of the less interesting fights on the card anyway, and it wasn't worth fucking with the strawweight rankings to cover it, as much as I would have liked to see Andrade or Suarez have a crack at Valentina.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:53 pm

Amir Khan fought last night. His performance was very Amir Khan-y, in that he got knocked down once, seriously wobbled at least two more times, and generally avoided the pocket like the plague. While he won an ultimately lopsided decision, it wasn't a performance to convince me that he can get back in with real elite fighters. It was entertaining, though, despite some irritating refereeing (which is fairly normal in British fights). Apparently, Amir is looking for a fight with Manny Pacquiao off this win, which... is a fight. Based on this performance, I expect even the old, slow Pacman of 2018/19 would knock Khan out. I don't think he's a realistic prospect at welterweight now.

It's crazy to think that Khan was once in the ring with Canelo Alvarez, trying to do what GGG hopes to do next saturday. After a draw resulting from a travesty of fight scoring, and a brief beef related delay, two of boxing's best pound for pound fighters will meet again on the fifteenth to put the issue to bed for good. I am actually a fully paid up passenger of the hype train this time. GGG went on one of the craziest KO streaks in the division's history before, and now he's felt the sting of letting Adelaide Byrd have any influence on his career, he will be hungry for another knockout. Alvarez has his honour to reclaim, after the beef scandal and the general perception that he lost the first fight. It has all the makings of an epic rematch.

Side note: the next time I hear a boxing commentator use the idiom "weather the early storm" I might break something.

Our discussion of Darren Till above turned out to be moot. He washed out in unimpressive fashion against Tyron Woodley at UFC 228, landing exactly zero significant strikes before submitting to a front choke in the second round. The co-main event featured something that I have never seen before; a cold, one punch knockout in the women's 115 pound (52kg) division. Jessica Andrade GOOMED Karolina Kowalkiewicz with a right hook almost immediately after their fight began. Out cold on the canvas from a single shot. That kind of power is quite literally unprecedented in that division. Kowalkiewicz is considered fairly tough, too. She endured a five round battering from Joanna Violence and a fair few big shots from current champion Rose Namajunas without looking like getting stopped or failing to throw back. To see her getting Spocked like that is frightening.
The night also featured a submission I can't recall seeing in the UFC before, the "suloev stretch", which you can look up if you want to. I wouldn't advise doing so if you don't like seeing legs bend in ways they shouldn't. Two extremely rare submissions in one night, plus an even rarer strawweight cold cock knockout, make for memorable viewing to compensate for the lost title fight and the underwhelming main event.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:34 pm

The Cleveland Browns didn't lose their first game!

They managed to grind the Pittsburgh Steelers to a stalemate.

Bud Light, the official pandering to fans beverage, says that something called the Browns Victory Fridge will stay locked. Apparently they're going to give away beer at select Cleveland bars if/when the Browns manage to pull off a victory. Something that hasn't happened since December. 2016.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:49 am

GGG vs Canelo 2: The repunchening is almost upon us.

The main event speaks for itself, but as an added bonus there's a somewhat rare thing tonight in an HBO boxing undercard that is really worth watching. Aside from HBO trying to build a new Canelo with Jamie Munguia, there are two interesting fights of once champions against rugged contenders.
Former super flyweight world champion Roman Gonzalez (aka Chocolatito) has his comeback fight at the start of the ppv, after his shocking back to back losses against Srisaket Sor Rungvisai. He's fighting Moises Fuentes, who would not normally be considered comeback fight material as he's a former minimumweight world champion and has a respectable record in the division. I really would like Chocolatito to win that one, but I expect a fun fight whatever the result.

There will also be a frightful uncivilised brawl in Gary O'Sullivan vs David Lemieux, which does have the potential to be quite depressing if you're a fan of the latter. He's had a bit of a fall from grave since GGG mauled him and tko'd him a few years ago, but he's still all entertainment. O'Sullivan is a hard hitter too and is notoriously relentless on the attack. It should add up to a very hard fought contest. I have no horse in this race, but I do find Lemieux very entertaining, and Canada was on our side in the war.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext