Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby Andropov4 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:59 am

The problem with arguments regarding only postseason play or "clutchness", for me, are that they inherently have tiny sample sizes. As for the Eli thing, using the team's record as a proxy for QB performance is pretty lazy, and Elo ratings don't account for things like injury and roster changes. I'd hesitate to call that even vaguely definitive proof of Eli's "clutchness" (whatever that really means).

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby TheSyrupNugget » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:46 pm

I tend to think of the Peyton Manning/Tom Brady debate as a modern update on the old Montana/Marino debate: Essentially, statistics versus championships and the weight that any given person places on one or the other (let alone how much they figure the supporting cast factors into either one) tends to sway one's opinion in whatever direction it winds up in.

TheSyrupNugget
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: Nugget of Syrup

Postby NisiOptimum » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:49 pm

CmdrVimes wrote:*Raises hand*. Huge sports lover here. Not many people, if any, on TCS enjoy my passions - rugby and cricket (except for nisi on the cricket front) - but soccer, tennis, track and field, swimming etc. are all sports I love as well. And I've had some exposure to football recently so discussions on that would greatly improve my knowledge of the game.

Also nisi if you're reading this damn your Windies team. Gayle destroyed us yesterday. It was heartbreaking.

Dammit, I can't believe I lost my one chance to gloat before the T20s ended and you went back to crushing us. Well just wait until the world cup pal! Windies are going to...well...I mean...probably won't beat South Africa, but we maybe won't totally embarrass ourselves. The United Arab Emirates are in for a tough game, that's for sure!

NisiOptimum
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Duke of Chrome

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:33 am

Finally it is confirmed that Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao are going to be fighting on May 2nd.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12 ... uiao-set-2

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby TheSyrupNugget » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:04 pm

It's about five years too late, in my opinion, but I'll still take it.

TheSyrupNugget
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:18 am

Ronda Rousey in my opinion is the best champion in the UFC and they should make her the face of the company. If Jon Jones could literally keep his nose clean then I'd consider him in her realm of dominance.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby TheSyrupNugget » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:30 am

iMURDAu wrote:Ronda Rousey in my opinion is the best champion in the UFC and they should make her the face of the company. If Jon Jones could literally keep his nose clean then I'd consider him in her realm of dominance.

I'd say most dominant without a doubt, but I'm iffier on best. I mean, Jon Jones has a very real chance of being arguably the best ever to lace up for the UFC by the time his career is over and he's been dominant in a weight class that includes Daniel Cormier, Rashad Evans, Shogun Rua, and Chael Sonnen. He's beaten some of the best the sport has to offer, a lot of them during prime points in their respective careers.

I think it's really been underappreciated how stacked Light Heavyweight has been for a lot of the UFC's history, from Ken Shamrock to Chuck Liddell to Tito Ortiz to (periodically) Anderson Silva and now Bones, and the way he's basically torn through the weight class and made the mark he's made just speaks volumes as to his talent, and place in the sport's history.

Meanwhile, Ronda's sort of been Mike Trout at the plate against little league pitchers by comparison. That being said, I agree that she makes the best sense as the face of the organization; She's clean, she's charismatic, outspoken, dominant, she looks like a younger and very muscular Julia Stiles (from a purely shallow, inconsequential to this discussion point of view). She's exactly what the organization needs, especially when it comes to broadening its' appeal.

TheSyrupNugget
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:58 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Ronda Rousey in my opinion is the best champion in the UFC and they should make her the face of the company. If Jon Jones could literally keep his nose clean then I'd consider him in her realm of dominance.

Ronda Rousey? I don't dwell much on UFC but I have heard her name (shes rooting for Manny in the upcoming fight)

I wonder what she looks like... *goes on bing*

Spoiler: show

Yep, make her the face of the company.

she must become the face of the company.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby sunglasses » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:42 pm

Jesus christ.

That pic is making me have flashbacks of the prosthetic crotch from Return of the Living Dead.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby D-LOGAN » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:22 pm

sunglasses wrote:Jesus christ.

That pic is making me have flashbacks of the prosthetic crotch from Return of the Living Dead.

Meh, I wouldn't let that dissuade me! Somehow nature will find a way ...

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Tuli » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:21 am

The only sport I could get the appeal of watching is this one:

nsf-- nah its just wrestling man

Also, is pole dancing considered a sport yet? Because it damn well should be:

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:40 am

My criteria for the question "is it a sport":

Does it require skill?
Can you create a gambling environment where its easy to make bets?
Is there a final outcome with a clear ending (not winner or loser, just an ending)
Can you get hurt?

Pole dancing meets the criteria. So does most of the activities any of us has done today. Picked your nose? I'd wager it was more white than yellow/green, you probably could've cleaned it better, you could've also stabbed your brain with your finger if you weren't careful and I'm sure you quit once you didn't find any more nosegold.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Masonator » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:26 pm

So, didn't want to start a new topic, but has anyone been following the NFL horse trading going on? Pretty unbelievable some of these moves. The Browns seem to be content with sub par play, letting Hoyer sign with the Texans without a better option for QB on the table (who knows if Johnny Manziel successfully completes rehab, and who knows if he can even play at the professional level, considering how awful he looked against Cincinatti). I assume Cleveland has a plan for the QB position that does not involve the newly acquired Josh McCown, but that team seems to be stuck in a rut as bad as the Raiders, except Cleveland doesn't seem to show any signs of turning things around any time soon.

Percy Harvin is on the road again, after being traded from the Seahawks to the Jets, now the Jets let him loose. I've heard he has attitude problems, but maybe the Jets' decision was strictly financial. Picking up Darrelle Revis seems like a smart move, but I said the same thing when the Broncos picked up Wes Welker (who seriously needs to retire), so what do I know? Gang Green also just picked up QB Ryan Fitzpatrick. This is a little surprising considering I thought for sure that they were going to draft Marcus Mariota, but now I'm reading that the Eagles are wanting to pick up Mariota and are willing to trade with the Jets if Mariota is still available to select as 6th overall. Then I saw that the Eagles swapped QBs with the Rams and now don't know what to think. Mariota needs time to learn a pro-system, so he'll have to serve as backup for the 2015 season at the least, and I bet he still ends up drafted by the Jets. Either way, the Jets are looking like they will be completely unrecognizable next season. I sincerely doubt this pays off. I know the Jets were weak last season, but it's almost never a good thing to change this many positions and expect the team to work together and be ready in time for next season.

Not that this is anything new, but Peyton Manning sticking around for another season seems ill advised. He got his team to the playoffs last season, sure, but his arm just isn't what it used to be, and while a farewell season is fine in baseball or basketball, in football, Peyton is risking a serious injury, not just a mildly embarrassing farewell tour by sticking around for another season. He has never been light on his feet, and this only got worse with age. I hope I'm not right, but that just seems like a recipe for disaster if, on top of that, he just can't throw the ball like he used to. That being said, assuming the concussions don't catch up to him, Peyton could make an amazing coach for the next several decades if he wants.

It's pretty much a guarantee that Jameis Winston goes to Tampa number one overall in the draft, but even if he turns out to be the best QB drafted since Andrew Luck (and I hope he is), I question how much that will mean if he's playing for a team as sorry as Tampa and doesn't have the protection he needs. I would hope Tampa doesn't rush Winston out on the field too soon like the Jags did with Blake Bortles, but Tampa must be about as desperate for wins at this point as the Jags, so who knows what they'll do next season.

Masonator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:48 pm

Yeah I've been paying attention. Eagles fan here. Needing to be talked down off the ledge.

Last year: Get rid of "team cancer" but statistically best WR
This year: Get rid of best WR, RB, and QB

We're seriously going to watch this team rebuild after a 10-6 season in which the backup QB played average ball? Instead of filling holes its time to create new ones?

Jameis Winston is going to have a short career if Tampa drafts him. I also have no idea how Chip Kelly plans on acquiring Marcus Mariota seeing as his best assets are no longer available for trade since he's already traded them.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Masonator » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:03 pm

I hear ya on the Eagles. If Mark Sanchez can play with any kind of consistency, he could be your man and get past his reputation as the butt fumbler. He seriously needs to stop with the turnovers though; he has flashes of greatness but even if I were an Eagles fan, expecting him to be a franchise QB would seem naively optimistic at this point.

As a Bucs fan, sadly, and a giant FSU fan, I want the Bucs to take Jameis, but yeah, his chances of injury are through the roof. If I'm thinking what's best for Jameis, a year under a Brady or a Manning would build his skills even more, resolve his maturity issues most likely, and cause the media attacks to die down. No chance of that though, so it'll be sink or swim, and I just pray he avoids injury playing for the Bucs.

Masonator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

PreviousNext