Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby D-LOGAN » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:56 pm

YOU AND ME IM', outside, right now! Let's finish this once and for all!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Finally. All that shipping comes to fruition.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:41 pm

D-LOGAN wrote:YOU AND ME IM', outside, right now! Let's finish this once and for all!

I'm warning you, I can steal from Rodney Dangerfield all day long.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:07 pm

As Carrie mentioned elsewhere, the West Indies are playing England in a Test (4 innings, multiple-day cricket match) at the moment. The islands of the WI are of course in the midst of being flattened by a... flock? Bask? Some sort of collective noun of hurricanes. On a similar note, defending UFC W135 champion Amanda Nunes will be fighting tonight in Alberta with Irma bearing down on her home in Coconut Creek, Florida.
It must be incredibly difficult to focus on your job at such high stakes when your home is or could be due to be devastated by a tropical storm in a few days.

EDIT: Also, who do you guys have for Canelo vs GGG next weekend? I'm going for Golovkin, but it's pretty much a toss up as far as I can see.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:12 pm

Speaking of Amanda Nunes I'm just wondering why it was okay for Dana White to publicly shame her for not fighting the last time when she had sinusitis but when Ray Borg pulled out of a title fight this week he didn't say shit. Maybe it's that the UFC medical team cleared her but not him. Still, he tried to bury his champion but Borg was who Mighty Mouse wanted to fight because he wasn't willing to fight TJ Dillashaw so it's like the afterthought contender gets better treatment than someone who could stay champion for a long time.

And if Borg one day becomes champion and they don't market him in a Star Trek manner with Assimilate and We Are One shirts then I will have even less hope for humanity. I mean, he should be doing that already but whatevs.

Also I read recently that Demetrious Johnson wants to be called Mouse, not Mighty Mouse. Says he didn't give himself the Mighty Mouse nickname. Nicknames are generally given and not chosen but we'll see if Mouse sticks.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Dana breaks out his finest shit-scoop (or at least has his lackeys fetch theirs) whenever a fighter displeases him. I do find it funny that after he said Nunes would never headline again because she pulled out, she ends up headlining a card because of the main event pulled out. If I were Valentina Shevchenko, I would seriously consider cancelling last minute just to fuck with him.
I think Amanda Nunes should just embrace her status as a Heel and use it for her draw. She's an 'uncharismatic' (in women's professional sports this word can be read interchangeably with 'unattractive') Brazilian who brutally murdered two of the most popular and 'charismatic' American champions, plus she's a lesbian. If she beats Shevchenko, she should come out to the press events for the subsequent bout with fan darling Holly Holm wearing a cape and a bushy monobrow. She could get people queuing up to see if this pretty blonde white girl can vanquish her.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:28 am

Anglerphobe wrote:EDIT: Also, who do you guys have for Canelo vs GGG next weekend? I'm going for Golovkin, but it's pretty much a toss up as far as I can see.

I'm going for Golovkin because I like the guy, but I think that the fight can go either way.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm still a bit down after what happened to poor Choco last night. Roman 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez is one of my favourite boxers and he got beaten down last night by a Srisaket sor Rungvisai, after losing to him controversially and unexpectedly earlier this year by decision. He returned to get knocked out in the fourth and really just didn't look like the great Chocolatito for a single moment through the whole fight. It was sad to see him get abused like that, though all credit must be given to his opponent for a mighty performance.

UFC 215 was alright, despite the absence of Mighty Mouse. The UFC now faces a pretty big problem for promoting the bantamweight title as W135 is probably the thinnest division in the organisation (I don't consider W145 to be a proper division yet). Ronda fucking Rousey is still ranked in top 5 as of my writing this, and there is serious talk of Cat 'no wins since 2014' Zingano getting the next shot. That's how spare this division is. I like Alpha Cat, and it pains me to say this, but at this point there is little doubt that if she fights Nunes again she will be another retirement notch on the Champ's bedpost.

RDA crushed it as a powerful contender at welterweight, about which I am particularly happy as I am a big fan of his. Also, God himself took to the cage last night and produced an impressive win.

My God, Ilir, laughs at your four winds. He laughs from his mountain.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:04 pm

The California State Athletic Commission has ruled the result of Cormier vs Jones a no-contest following Jones' B-sample from the event corroborating the findings of the A-sample - namely the presence of a banned steroid in Jones' system at the time of the fight. Whether this will restore DC's title or not has not been officially addressed but I can't see how it can go any other way. They have returned the title to Daniel Cormier but no word yet on the consequences Jones will face. Officially, all they've said is that 'due process must be observed'. 2-4 years is likely, considering Jones' previous year long suspension for PEDs.

Jon Jones has been booked to fight three times now in the new era of stringent drug testing in the UFC. He's only fought twice, with two failed drug tests and one performance regarded as the worst in his professional career. There may be other reasons for his lacklustre appearance against OSP such as ring rust and confidence (or machiavellian DC baiting mind games, if you believe Jones fans) but it's hard to ignore this when considering the rest of his career as a fighter.

For fuck's sake, Jon.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:10 am

Annddddd so Canelo Alverez vs Gennady Golovkin turned out to be a draw, what did you guys think? (I gotta find this fight somewhere in the meantime and rewatch the whole thing since I missed a lot)

EDIT:
-I feel that as champion Gennady Golovkin should have easily won, and Adelaide Byrd should get fired.
Honestly what the heck even is that?

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:24 am

The NSAC is a cesspool. Byrd has been turning out scorecards like that for twenty years and here she still is.

GGG won the fight for me, without a doubt. He had Alvarez backpedaling almost throughout and he shut him down consistently with the jab so he could be walked down and bombed. Alvarez got the early rounds in my opinion when Golovkin was indulging that frustrating habit of his of focusing exclusively on the head with little to no body work and could be neatly countered and picked off. Beyond that, Canelo stole a couple of rounds but I ended up with 115-113 GGG. He walked Canelo down, threw more, landed more. One of my friends scored it 117-111 GGG, which may be excessive but at least it's based in reality. 118-110 Canelo is just ludicrous.

It was a great fight though. lived up to the hype. I can only hope (vainly, I don't doubt) that the contractual rematch doesn't take place in fucking Nevada.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:38 am

Found out today that Jake LaMotta passed away at the age of 95, dying from pneumonia in a nursing home.
Rest in peace champ.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:14 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Couple things in sports news that are bothering me.

The toddler at Yankee Stadium that got hit by a foul ball. Sorry but you're holding a 3 year old on your lap at a baseball game. Why did you bring a 3 year old to a baseball game? They won't remember it in 3 years. Unless they're traumatized by taking crit damage. Why do people think bringing small children and pets everywhere is appropriate? I'm waiting for dogs and cats and lizards to be allowed on planes, and am surprised it isn't just happening. I've attended all of two baseball games in my life without a glove. The other hundred or so, I was strapped with the leather. Signs are posted at stadiums that say watch for foul balls. Was this a problem 20 years ago? No, but that's probably because people came to the game to watch the game, as in paying attention to what's happening on the field.

I never got to catch a foul ball. The closest one was a few rows down from me. This fool had the opportunity but let it hit his child.

A group of NFL players want the league to adopt a month of social activism. I'm okay with a month of military celebration as well as the breast cancer awareness month. But keep your politics the fuck out of my sports. Does the NFL really need to come out and say they're against cops shooting people, in certain circumstances, when it seems the evidence is that they shouldn't have shot them, but we don't know for sure because we weren't there and are basing our feelings off of news reports?

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:59 pm

iMURDAu wrote:The toddler at Yankee Stadium that got hit by a foul ball. Sorry but you're holding a 3 year old on your lap at a baseball game. Why did you bring a 3 year old to a baseball game? They won't remember it in 3 years. Unless they're traumatized by taking crit damage. Why do people think bringing small children and pets everywhere is appropriate?

Very simple answer. You can leave pets at home by themselves, but you can't do that with toddlers. If both parents want to go, they can either pay for a sitter or bring the kid with them. A toddler may not remember going to the game, but can still have fun. Should we not bring toddlers to the park or play with them just because they won't remember it?

That being said, when you bring a toddler anywhere, be it a restaurant or a ball game, it is your responsibility to watch out for them and keep them safe. I've only been to a handful of baseball games, but even I know of the possibility of getting hit by a foul ball. Any parent with a toddler knows you have to be extra vigilant to keep them safe.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

PreviousNext