Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:12 pm

After two incredible games yesterday, I have to say....Can we all talk about how damn good the playoffs have been?

Last year, with the exception of the Packers-Cowboys game, it was all like "Oh, and then every favorite team wins by a 40 point sweep, then the Patriots have a huge comeback victory that sports analysts are really excited about but everyone else is pissed about because they're tired of seeing the goddamn Pats win Superbowl after Superbowl."

This year there have been three massive upsets, six amazing games, and it's just a shame that both championships will probably be a snoozefest until we get to an amazing Minnesota-New England (or dare I hope, Jacksonville?) Superbowl. I was pulling for the Saints, but now I guess I gotta cheer for the Jags/Vikings, because I hate the Pats and the Eagles are going to get annihilated by Minnesota.
  • 3

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2602
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 8:15 pm
Show rep

Re: Sports section?

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:56 pm

As a Jags fan, I am stoked. People didn't think we could beat the Steelers (although we spanked them during the regular season) but we played a good game. The game against the Patriots is going to be crazy.

That Vikings/Saints game was NUTS. I was pulling for the Saints (because I'd rather face them in the Superbowl than the Vikings) but I'm not even mad. That was the craziest end to a game I've ever seen.
  • 5

User avatar
IamNotCreepy
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 1264
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Inside the "Cone of Uncertainty"
Show rep
Title: I'm not...

Re: Sports section?

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:46 pm

I couldn't fail to mention this.



Matt Hughes, legend of mixed martial arts, walked to the cageside in St Louis on Sunday night to an ovation. Last June, he was terribly injured by a train at a level rail crossing in Illinois and left in what his family called "the biggest fight of his life". Him walking out to his old entrance music and the reception of the arena was an absolutely beautiful moment.
  • 4

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."
User avatar
Anglerphobe
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:03 pm
Location: Candy Apple Island
Show rep
Title: Ape, but not so big

Re: Sports section?

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:33 pm

IamNotCreepy wrote:As a Jags fan, I am stoked. People didn't think we could beat the Steelers (although we spanked them during the regular season) but we played a good game. The game against the Patriots is going to be crazy.

That Vikings/Saints game was NUTS. I was pulling for the Saints (because I'd rather face them in the Superbowl than the Vikings) but I'm not even mad. That was the craziest end to a game I've ever seen.


I was pulling for the Saints because I think there are a cadre of QBs (Brees, Rogers, Newton, Stafford, and Rivers) who either need another ring to become truly legendary past merely a mention in the HOF, or that are long past due for a ring from their level of play. Of that group, Brees is closest to retiring, but here's hoping they make it next year. Ryan, however, never deserves even a shot at the ring again after that last Superbowl.

What gets me is Jacksonville only putting 10 points up against the Bills, the weakest team in the playoffs, then put up 45 on the Steelers, one of the best teams in the playoffs. I'd like to think the Jags go to the Superbowl, but I also shudder to imagine Blake Bortles in a Superbowl.
  • 4

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2602
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 8:15 pm
Show rep

Re: Sports section?

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:06 am

I just want the Eagles to win the Super Bowl. That's all I want out of life right now. I've been holding this bag for 30 gotdamn fuckin years. I want to put it down and relax. I don't want to spend every fall waiting for my heart to break. Again. Because I know it's going to.

Just like now. They'll lose. Either to the Vikings next week or the AFC champ two weeks after that. I'm resigned to that. I don't want to be. Even Saints fans who suffered a horrible last second beat to end their season, same as Ravens fans who saw their playoff hopes disappear on the last play of the game, they've got the memory or at very least the knowledge that their team was champion during the modern era.

I'm alone in my heartache. My wife is a Steelers fan, my son is a Ravens fan. Their favorite teams won the Super Bowl before they were born. Why didn't I latch on with the Redskins, I sometimes ask myself. I could be disappointed in them but still have the whole "hey but at least we won the Super Bowl" feeling. :cry:
  • 4

"Our landfills are third world bling"
- Doug Stanhope
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 5829
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Sports section?

Postby Absentia » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:07 am

iMURDAu wrote:I just want the Eagles to win the Super Bowl. That's all I want out of life right now. I've been holding this bag for 30 gotdamn fuckin years. I want to put it down and relax. I don't want to spend every fall waiting for my heart to break. Again. Because I know it's going to.

Just like now. They'll lose. Either to the Vikings next week or the AFC champ two weeks after that. I'm resigned to that. I don't want to be. Even Saints fans who suffered a horrible last second beat to end their season, same as Ravens fans who saw their playoff hopes disappear on the last play of the game, they've got the memory or at very least the knowledge that their team was champion during the modern era.

I'm alone in my heartache. My wife is a Steelers fan, my son is a Ravens fan. Their favorite teams won the Super Bowl before they were born. Why didn't I latch on with the Redskins, I sometimes ask myself. I could be disappointed in them but still have the whole "hey but at least we won the Super Bowl" feeling. :cry:


Lifelong Redskins fan here. They last won it all when I was four years old, which I don't remember. The only good season since Dan Snyder bought the team in '99 ended with RG3's knee and career in ruins after we mortgaged the farm to get him. Snyder's never going to sell, and he's probably going to live another 30 years. Trust me when I say you're better off with the Eagles.
  • 4

User avatar
Absentia
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:46 am
Location: Earth
Show rep

Re: Sports section?

Postby SandTea » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:58 am

WWE 1st Womans Royal Rumble will sadly not include Paige.

A neck injury will prevent Paige from competing in the first-ever women's Royal Rumble match at the 2018 Royal Rumble on Jan. 28, WWE announced Monday.


She is still going to be an onscreen presence for now though so there is hope she might not be retiring.
  • 0

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
User avatar
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 pm
Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Re: Sports section?

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:31 am

iMURDAu wrote:I'm alone in my heartache. My wife is a Steelers fan, my son is a Ravens fan. Their favorite teams won the Super Bowl before they were born. Why didn't I latch on with the Redskins, I sometimes ask myself. I could be disappointed in them but still have the whole "hey but at least we won the Super Bowl" feeling. :cry:


...Do you have a child bride? Because the last time the Steelers won the Superbowl was 08, as I recall.

And yeah, as a Dolphins fan, just be happy with the Eagles. At least you guys win in the postseason, my team makes it there once every ten years and then immediately gets crushed.
  • 2

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2602
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 8:15 pm
Show rep

Re: Sports section?

Postby Lindvaettr » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:31 pm

iMURDAu wrote:I just want the Eagles to win the Super Bowl. [...] They'll lose. Either to the Vikings next week or the AFC champ two weeks after that.


As a lifelong Vikings fan, I know the feeling. What happened Sunday doesn't happen for the Vikings. It happens against the Vikings. They're not allowed to win in a stunning way, only lose in a stunning way. Ever since Sunday, I've had this creeping feeling of dread, like we somehow broke the rules of the universe or disrupted the timeline, and now it has to be corrected. Something terrible is going to happen to the Vikings before all this is said and done. It's probably going to be an embarrassing loss to the Eagles, but it could also be a horrific plane crash, or one of the giant stadium TVs will fall on their defensive line.
  • 5

User avatar
Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:19 am
Location: Various, depending on time and day
Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Re: Sports section?

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:12 pm

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:
iMURDAu wrote:I'm alone in my heartache. My wife is a Steelers fan, my son is a Ravens fan. Their favorite teams won the Super Bowl before they were born. Why didn't I latch on with the Redskins, I sometimes ask myself. I could be disappointed in them but still have the whole "hey but at least we won the Super Bowl" feeling. :cry:


...Do you have a child bride? Because the last time the Steelers won the Superbowl was 08, as I recall.

And yeah, as a Dolphins fan, just be happy with the Eagles. At least you guys win in the postseason, my team makes it there once every ten years and then immediately gets crushed.


Steelers won 4 Super Bowls in the 1970's. My wife was born in 1982. I was saying that their favorite teams were already Super Bowl Champions at the time of their births.

Go on with that at least you guys win in the postseason talk when your team has the only undefeated season in history. And then won the Super Bowl again the next year for good measure but nobody mentions that, like ever.

My team has 2 Super Bowl highlights. Jaws throwing an interception on the first play of the game to set the tone for a loss to the Raiders. And McNabb throwing up in the huddle against the Pats because of nerves.

To Lindvaettr: Embrace the idea of Tom Brady being a 6 time champion. I know I have.
  • 2

"Our landfills are third world bling"
- Doug Stanhope
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 5829
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Sports section?

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:50 am

iMURDAu wrote:
Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:
iMURDAu wrote:I'm alone in my heartache. My wife is a Steelers fan, my son is a Ravens fan. Their favorite teams won the Super Bowl before they were born. Why didn't I latch on with the Redskins, I sometimes ask myself. I could be disappointed in them but still have the whole "hey but at least we won the Super Bowl" feeling. :cry:


...Do you have a child bride? Because the last time the Steelers won the Superbowl was 08, as I recall.

And yeah, as a Dolphins fan, just be happy with the Eagles. At least you guys win in the postseason, my team makes it there once every ten years and then immediately gets crushed.


Go on with that at least you guys win in the postseason talk when your team has the only undefeated season in history. And then won the Super Bowl again the next year for good measure but nobody mentions that, like ever.


Like...yeah, they killed it back in the 70s, but that doesn't make it more fun for me to watch in the here and now as they--year after year--aaaaaaaalmost get into the playoffs, then fuck it up at the end without fail.
  • 1

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2602
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 8:15 pm
Show rep

Re: Sports section?

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:12 am

Kris Dunn who plays basketball for the Chicago Bulls dunked, lost his balance hanging from the rim and faceplanted.

Graphic video:


The thumbnail does its job so you probably don't need to see the video.

Both of his front teeth were broken and he sustained a concussion.

This is exactly why you should never run fast and leave the ground.
  • 4

"Our landfills are third world bling"
- Doug Stanhope
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 5829
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Sports section?

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:41 am

Reading about Steelers fans wanting Mike Tomlin to be fired, and I think they need a little perspective. Try being a mediocre team and only seeing the playoffs once every ten years--just to get curbstomped in the wild card round. I don't think the Steelers have had a losing season since Tomlin and Roethlisberger got together, I'm pretty sure most teams would be dying to get their hands on Tomlin.

Anyways, the loving sports talking heads are already once again singing loving praises of the Patriots to my utter exhaustion.
  • 2

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2602
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 8:15 pm
Show rep

Re: Sports section?

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:16 pm

It's Belichick the Jags need to worry about more than Brady. I mean, he was the last person to coach the Cleveland Browns in a playoff victory.

I did enjoy the answer Tom Brady gave to the question of if he'd played in games with worse pain than he's in right now. His response was basically "I've played with pain in a lot of games". :lol:

The Steelers have a very player friendly culture. It might be Tomlin's doing from what I've read over the years. It's not a bad thing considering the success they've had. If every player feels like a superstar they'll probably play like one. I think that's why Todd Haley was let go. Roethlisberger said he didn't have the freedom to call his own number on short yardage plays and that's why they were handing the ball off. When you've got an aging but HOF bound QB, a WR who is one of the best in the game, and LeVeon Bell who is imo the best offensive player in the NFL you can't put limitations on what they're allowed to do on the field.
  • 2

"Our landfills are third world bling"
- Doug Stanhope
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 5829
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Sports section?

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:27 pm

I double post all the time in this thread but it's a different subject I'd like to bring up.

The best team in the National Hockey League is the Las Vegas Golden Knights.

You might not have heard of them because they are an expansion team that began play this year. They've got the best record in the NHL. A team of rejects. Every player on that team is there because the team they played on last year offered them up as a sacrificial lamb for the expansion draft.

I hope to see them play in the Cup Finals. I think their management and ownership should be extremely happy with themselves. I don't know of any team in modern American sports that was created out of thin air and was a serious contender in their first season of play.
  • 2

"Our landfills are third world bling"
- Doug Stanhope
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 5829
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests