Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:51 am

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby JamishT » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:36 am

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm sure this was a printing contract that was done months in advance but let this be a lesson to every sports team on the planet. Never use images of players on game tickets. In this instance the player in question was let go by the team at the end of August but is on today's ticket. That is amusing. What if a player does something horrendous and is reviled by society like idk suplexing a baby stroller into a fire pit?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:34 am

Hell yeahhhh, sounds like the best piece of news I heard all week. Steven Seagal is supposed to be allowed to use anything he want, all his skills and George Foreman uses standard boxing rules. Another hybrid fight like Mayweather vs Mcgregor and yet I have a feeling with two gentleman in their 60's that this will be better. I worry for Steven Seagal's life though if Foreman still has his power, but yet again I still want him to agree to it.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/i/web/status/914812377748533248[/tweet]

DoglovingJim wrote:Kind of self explanatory really, since we have basically all the other topics such as music, games, movies, books etc etc I thought we might as well have a section where anyone can discuss sport orientated media.

I don't know, seemed like a good idea at the time writing this.

Should be sports in general too, so that we can not only discuss sport orientated media (since we have a lot of sport lovers here) but also our own fitness, weight-loss and dietary goals (which other people prefer). And I know certain people here have talents in certain sports (such as fencing) and then they could have those "ask me threads" for people that are interested it in as well. Threads based on leg days, threads based on specific training questions such as exercises for the back and their advantages and comparisons and critiques of certain exercise equipment and even those diet discussions. Even debates such as weight training vs body-weight training for example. Threads based on individual sports so people who are proper fans are able to elaborate on them instead of making one stray comment among dozens of others (eg, soccer thread or boxing thread or just news on sports in general).

And all of this can just be found in one place instead of searching through all the other current affairs and general discussion sections for our daily dose of sporty stuff, the lack of such a section making many reluctant to create these threads as there is no proper space to put them (is it current news or is it general discussion? Who knows as a bunch of other threads will drown it within the second pages where nobody would finndddd itttttt) or in the case of a certain weight-loss thread dozens of people hijacking it to talk about fitness training in general instead.

So many ideas, untapped potential. And with the sudden influx of new members perhaps we should add it, because I know for one I'd be very interested in such a section and others probably would be too.

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Former UFC and Strikeforce competitor Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva was finished in a horrible mismatch against Glory Kickboxing champion Rico Verhoeven in China earlier today. To express exactly how despicable this piece of matchmaking is, allow me to share some information and statistics on these two fighters.

Antonio Silva, 38, is a veteran mixed martial artist with famous wins over Fedor Emelianenko (whom he beat in 2011) Andrei Arlovski (2011) and Alistair Overeem (2013) among others. He made his pro kickboxing debut today following a MMA streak of 1-8-1 in the past 4 years with 7 defeats coming by way of knockout. Overall he has suffered 10 knockout defeats in his MMA career. The 1 no-contest on his record there was the result of elevated testosterone levels resulting from TRT, of which Silva was one of the first and most prolific users in the sport before it was banned.

Rico Verhoeven, 28, is the Glory heavyweight champion with a professional kickboxing record of 51-10. His last defeat was a unanimous decision almost 3 years ago, preceding 6 straight wins with 4 stoppages prior to this fight. He is nicknamed "The King of Kickboxing" having beaten Gokhan Saki, Daniel Ghita (twice) and Errol Zimmerman, among many others.

The referee put on the only admirable performance of the event by saving Bigfoot from any more punishment a short way into the second round. This kind of thing, wantonly endangering an already damaged man in a squash match against a prime killer, puts an ugly stain on kickboxing and combat sports as a whole. It shouldn't have happened, but things exactly like it seem set to continue happening as long as the pay-per-view broadcasting model keeps it profitable. I know I have no appetite for human bloodsport, and I would hope that promoters and sanctioning bodies might not either. This isn't ancient fucking Rome.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Yeah I watched from the link you provided and that was ugly. There was no reason for that to even take place. It could've been uglier but I think Rico decided to respect Bigfoot's power in the beginning. Rico could definitely have finished that whenever he wanted though. I mean he didn't even start kicking the legs until there was less than a minute in the round and that's where you'd cut off Bigfoot's ability to wind up and throw a bomb.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:47 pm

It's really cute how they put the Western announcer in a Chinese tunic and the Chinese announcer in a Western style suit.

To be honest with you that fight was...workmanlike at best to watch. I'm no MMA fighter so maybe I'm missing something. It seemed like the whole thing was set up for Verhoeven to destroy the other guy, but they never let him. He hit him well once and then they stopped the fight, bit of a let down really. That said I don't think there was ever a question of that being a fair match, and I agree that it shouldn't have gone ahead.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:27 am

So is this like another Floyd/Mcgregor thing? With a UFC fighter having a pro-debut in a different combat sport against its top fighter and getting his butt handed to him?

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:29 am

It's more like McGregor making his boxing debut against GGG or Chris Eubank jr and if instead of McGregor it was Takanori Gomi or BJ Penn. The very least that could be said for McWeather was that it wasn't unreasonably dangerous for either fighter.

Speaking of mr Eubank, George Groves put away Jamie Cox last night at Wembley (via my favourite type of boxing finish, the body shot KO) to set up a fight against Eubank, which is fantastic as a matchup. Boxing is flourishing in Britain at the moment, with great fights like this along with a British heavyweight champion to make the headlines.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:39 pm

They see me double postin'

This is cool. Tony Ferguson, recently crowned UFC interim Lightweight Champion, was awarded his BJJ black belt by Tenth Planet Jiu Jitsu coach Eddie Bravo in recognition of his submission win over Kevin Lee to capture that title.

pictured

That belt, the very belt draped over Tony's neck, was originally awarded to Jean Jacques Machado decades ago by Carlos Gracie Jr. JJM went on to teach Eddie Bravo, giving him the belt from his own waist in recognition of his amazing defeat of Royler Gracie in Abu Dhabi in 2003. Bravo then trained Tony Ferguson, whom he gave JJM's original belt for his victory and title. Interestingly, both wins came by triangle choke.

Spoiler: show
Eddie
Tony

That belt is a legitimate piece of BJJ history and it is a sign of incredible respect that coach Eddie has given it to his student. The pride he has in him. It's a really heartwarming thing.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:42 pm

Is that the actual belt or was the original stolen by Obama and the lizard people and Tony Ferguson is wearing a replica?

Here's an story I found interesting about a UFC fighter who wishes to wear a turban in his next fight. Apparently it isn't against Reebok's athlete code and the Nevada Athletic Commission doesn't seem to have anything prohibiting headgear or any real prohibitions regarding what a fighter is allowed to wear. Must wear shorts, can't wear shoes.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:11 am

iMURDAu wrote:Here's an story I found interesting about a UFC fighter who wishes to wear a turban in his next fight. Apparently it isn't against Reebok's athlete code and the Nevada Athletic Commission doesn't seem to have anything prohibiting headgear or any real prohibitions regarding what a fighter is allowed to wear. Must wear shorts, can't wear shoes.

That might make UFC more interesting, now someone can pull a turban off and strangle his opponent with it. One step closer to real gladiatorial fights.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:22 pm

He's just trying to get a foot in the Sikh tradition door to eventually bring a kirpan into the octagon.

I think the UFC should allow fighters to express more individualism on their walkouts. It's good for their self promotion if nothing else. Khabib and Cowboy (both cowboys) wear individual headgear and there's no restriction on religious symbols. Lots of fighters wear a crucifix necklace or something similar on their walkout with no issues at all. Kimo Leopoldo carried a fucking life size cross with him to the cageside twenty years ago.

EDIT:

Anthony Joshua's twentieth win was well earned, but his twentieth stoppage less so. He seemed to hurt Takam with some hard shots and started putting them together while still failing to really rock him. The legs under Takam were strong and he was clearly willing and able to fight on, if on a slippery slope. I was mid-sentence, saying that fight could be stopped if the punches continued, when the referee jumped in. While I don't think Takam was going to win the fight, I'm not sure AJ was going to put him away there. Takam should have had the opportunity to keep going.

I'm still unconvinced by AJ as a boxer. He's a good champ in terms of his image and publicity but his fighting has still not shone through to me. I will caveat this by saying that he is probably the best active heavyweight all round, but that he would be at serious risk of simply getting clocked by the Alabama Windmill if that fight happens, or getting ground down by a decent tough fighter with good pacing.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:44 pm

The Cleveland Browns are so bad. Not only have they yet to win a game in the first half of a 16 game season, they can't even make a trade. They were set to make a deal but the trade deadline was 4 p.m. today. Their trade partners, the Cincinnati Bengals, notified the league of the proposal at 3:55. The Browns did not notify the league until after 4. The trade was not allowed due to the passage of time, the Browns protested and were basically told "deal with it".

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:47 am

Anglerphobe wrote:EDIT:

Anthony Joshua's twentieth win was well earned, but his twentieth stoppage less so. He seemed to hurt Takam with some hard shots and started putting them together while still failing to really rock him. The legs under Takam were strong and he was clearly willing and able to fight on, if on a slippery slope. I was mid-sentence, saying that fight could be stopped if the punches continued, when the referee jumped in. While I don't think Takam was going to win the fight, I'm not sure AJ was going to put him away there. Takam should have had the opportunity to keep going.

I'm still unconvinced by AJ as a boxer. He's a good champ in terms of his image and publicity but his fighting has still not shone through to me. I will caveat this by saying that he is probably the best active heavyweight all round, but that he would be at serious risk of simply getting clocked by the Alabama Windmill if that fight happens, or getting ground down by a decent tough fighter with good pacing.

I personally believe that his "success" is simply the product of him being in a weak era for heavyweights in general, if it starts getting stronger I think he would gas out fast and get exposed a lot. Him getting proclaimed as the new "Muhammad Ali" in my opinion is laughable especially after getting gassed out and even knocked down against an old cautious Klitschko, I don't think he'd have lasted long in that golden era that Muhammad Ali fought in.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext