TCS All-Nighters Club

Discussion, in general

Re: TCS All-Nighters Club

Postby GusR » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:39 am

It's about 3:30 and I'm having some trouble sleeping. My dad's in a sailing race now, the Transatlantic 2015 (I'm super proud of him!). Earlier today, I guess yesterday now, I found out that they will have to withdraw from the race due to storm damage. Three successive storms with gusts over 50kts have taken out their boom vang, traveler, and damaged the mainsail.

I've gotten the occasional message from my dad and he seems in good spirits, even making jokes. Right now they're hove-to (parked) in the middle of the Atlantic, waiting out the storm. Checking the map w/ transponders, I now see that another boat has changed course and, up until 5 minutes ago, it seemed to be on track to rendezvous with the boat my dad is crewing on (it had made a huge turn, and was only 6 nautical miles away). Now it's turned completely around and I'm not sure what to think. On the one hand, if they're not meeting up that means my dad's boat doesn't need assistance. On the other, they could just be repositioning if the wind isn't right.

I'm sure he's fine, but I can't stop watching the map. I sent him a message via GPS just checking in - hopefully I hear back soon.

EDIT: I just got word from the boat that all is well (or as well as can be) - they rode out the storm without further incident and even had bacon and eggs for breakfast. They're going to try to patch the mainsail, but have retired from the race and are heading for the Azores.

GusR
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Phighter » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:04 am

It's 3:04am. If I stay up another hour, will I disappear?

Probably not.

Phighter
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: King of Puns

Postby ironskoblin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:22 am

So it's 2:15 am in Little Canada (aka Minnesota) right now, and I'm basically doing what I do every time I can't fall asleep: read random news and visit this site every five minutes to see if anyone has posted anything.

( •_•)

( •_•)> ರೃ

(ರೃ_•)
ironskoblin
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep
Title: Lord of all Skoblins

Postby SilverMaple » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:23 am

Weird thoughts creep into my head once it's past 3 AM, apparently. I'm not usually up this late, but my mom got rather well-acquainted with a bottle of merlot at my aunt's place and it fell to me to take the wheel. Now I'm home and can't seem to relax.

The roads are so nice and peaceful when no one's around, driving was really relaxing. If it wasn't for my parrot, I wouldn't mind working nights when I get an actual job, which I really hope is soon.

I'm trying to enjoy this while it lasts. I hate, hate, hate winter, and I probably won't drive once the snow hits because icy roads make me crazy nervous. Buses are okay, but I'm worried that it's going to be a really long commute, because there are no labs in my end of town. It seems like there are so few hours in the day sometimes.

Bert wrote:The best part of my job is fistfighting an 8 year old every day.

//Friend come and go, like the wave in the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on our face.\\
SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Nerd of a Feather

Postby octoberpumpkin » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:05 am

I always have a lot of trouble sleeping the nights before school because of anxiety. So I'm going to stay up tonight and like study or something I guess. Play video games. See how bad off I am during school. I have 4 day weekends so I have time to catch up on my sleep. I'm told college students pull all-nighters anyways so maybe it won't be so bad!

Really need to find a solution to this sleeping thing though :(

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby Marcuse » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:27 am

octoberpumpkin wrote:I always have a lot of trouble sleeping the nights before school because of anxiety. So I'm going to stay up tonight and like study or something I guess. Play video games. See how bad off I am during school. I have 4 day weekends so I have time to catch up on my sleep. I'm told college students pull all-nighters anyways so maybe it won't be so bad!

Really need to find a solution to this sleeping thing though :(

Maybe try setting yourself a routine for nights before you go to school. As silly as it sounds, I find a routine before bed helps me to lessen anxiety by reducing the ambient anxiety of everyday life, leaving me more resources to convince myself the upcoming thing is going to be okay, if that makes sense.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Askias » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:40 am

I'm viewing the lunar eclipse currently unfolding. Full moon, fully visible in the Netherlands, clear skies. I can still see the edge of the moon. The full eclipse will start in half an hour.

If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Postby RainyDays » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:40 am

I can't go to sleep until I study at least a little for my Monday morning test.

I don't want to study for my Monday morning test, so I'm still awake.

I'm trying to force a compromise where I can go to sleep and dream about studying for my test, but that sounds boring to both sides of the argument, so very little progress is being made.

RainyDays
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep

Postby MisterKrinkle » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:32 am

It's 4 am right now, which is probably not a good thing since I have my food production lab in 4 hours, aaaaand I'm sitting here barely watching netflix thinking about what all prep I have for the rest of the week. There's not really a whole lot I have to do since my teacher will be gone so we're running breakfast pizzas and egg bake as a special, which we finished all the prep for. Should give me time to completely strip down the charbroiler and get it nice and clean so it's not having grease fire flare ups every 10 minutes.

I think I'm spending too much time in kitchens, since apparently my sleep deprived thoughts now revolve around prep. Of course planning out what I want to get done makes me way more efficient in lab, and I'm also discovering it kind of helps with the late night anxiety. So a win-win for me. Not that it'll help me get any sleep but at least I won't be tired and stressed during class later.

Stay classy
MisterKrinkle
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Chef Krinkle

Postby Kate » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:56 am

It's 4:51 am and I have finally come out to the couch because I'm in enough pain that I'm literally crying and can't help it. My husband has work in the morning and I don't want to wake him. I know what he'd say to me if he was awake and cogent right now; "Stay in bed, it's okay." But seriously, he has to go to work soon, and I don't want to wake him up. All I want to do is be in bed with him though. the idea sounds so warm and comforting and the pain is so cold. It's a very cold, consuming kind of pain.

You know all that talk of having so many different words for snow? I'm like that, but with pain XD

Thank God for Netflix. Or Amazon Prime Instant Video as it happens (Korra is free to watch through season 3).

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby SilverMaple » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:13 am

So it looks like my sleep schedule is officially screwed. I've been going to bed at ungodly hours lately (thanks Obama...I mean, Netflix), so I promised myself that I'd go to bed at 1 AM tonight. It's currently a bit after 2 and I don't want to freaking sleep. I'm just not tired. It's so nice and quiet when everyone else is asleep, and I don't want to waste it. My parrot gets annoyed if I wake up too late, though.

The point of this ramble is, I need a job like a normal person to end this madness, and to have some incentive not to stay up watching stupid Youtube videos into the wee hours of the morning.

pls halp

//Friend come and go, like the wave in the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on our face.\\
SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Askias » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:16 am

It's 4:08 and I just finished an essay. I worked on it for six hours straight and wrote 1200 words in that time. That's about three words per minute, if you want to count like that. But I did it, I detailed the common ground regarding taxation between Nozick and Epstein, and how Epstein's 'Taxation in a Lockean World' is taking Nozick's famous quote 'taxation of income is on a par with forced labor' out of its original meaning, and all WITHOUT PLAGARISING the million-and-one people who no doubt noticed this exact same thing. Now sleep for a few hours, re-read the essay a few times, cringe at my sleep-drunk language, fix it, and turn it in before next tuesday.

I love student life.

If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Postby SilverMaple » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:44 am

Basically every human interaction I've had today has ended with me saying something painfully awkward or wording something badly and having it misinterpreted, which is discouraging since I had been doing (relatively) well in the "not saying stupid shit" department as of late.

So here I am dicking around on the Internet at 3 AM because all I can do is lie awake and replay those conversations in my head. Hooray.

SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:01 am

You can always hop back on IRC, where we'll make your social skills look comparatively amazing.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby JamishT » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:00 am

It's 4am, which has been the time I've been getting to bed lately (I've been closing exclusively at work), but I'm supposed to be picking my mom up at the airport (which is an hour away) at 10am. I've been laying here since about 1:30-2am...

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

PreviousNext