Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby gisambards » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:51 pm

cmsellers wrote:In another application, this one for state government, I affirmed under penalty of perjury that Turkey and Korea are both in Texas.

Only half a lie.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:07 pm

The Austin Public Library, for some reason, often has multiple entries for the same edition of the same book, such that there might be three copies of one edition of a book, each with different entries for some reason.

I have a tendency to check books out and assume that if there's multiple copies available, I'll be able to keep them for two renewal periods, nine weeks.

Twice now, within the past two weeks, I've had to return books before that, despite there being other copies available, because it was one of the "one entry for each copy" books and someone put a hold on the copy that I had checked out.

I'm annoyed at the library for the frequency with which this happens. But I'm really annoyed at the people who choose to place a hold on the version of the book which is checked out. Are they doing it out of sadism? Do they assume the checked out copy must be the better one? Or do they just place a hold on the first entry they see, without seeing if any other copies are available?

I'm guessing it's the last one, so I'm gonna make a point of requesting the last copy of a book that shows up on my search from now on to see if that fixes this. But still, the level of clueless you have to be to place a hold on a book which is listed as unavailable without checking if there are other available copies is breathtaking to me.

cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:55 pm

When people close the doors of bathrooms that aren't occupied. When I was growing up, the convention was that you would only close the bathroom door if you were using it, that way if you see that the door is closed, you know to leave the occupant in peace, whereas if it were open, it would obviously be available. If you have the bathroom door closed all the time, then you have no way of knowing whether or not it's free without knocking every single time. In general, getting the door knocked on you while you're on the john tends to be rather unpleasant, with reactions ranging from startlement to irritation. Worse, if you're the kind of person who has anxiety about people knowing you're doing your business (I'm not one of those people but I've met a few), by answering a knock you're losing your anonymity. Whereas, if you are in the habit of employing the closed-if-occupied convention, you have plausible deniability unless someone directly witnesses you exiting the lavatory. Plus, a bathroom with an open door is easily identifiable for people who aren't familiar with the house, whereas a closed bathroom door tends to look much the same as the door to any other room, so a guest would have no choice but to announce their intention to evacuate their waste to the host and procure directions to the designated facilities, or else haphazardly try every knob they encounter, either causing a ruckus knocking on every door in turn, or god forbid, opening the right door without knocking but with an engaged resident on the other side.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:12 pm

My new computer likes to crash when I play PS2 emulated games. Specifically Baldur's Gate : Dark Alliance 2. It's annoying having to wait until the computer reboots. I know that this will be less annoying when I get the new harddrive at the end of the month simply 'cause it will be faster. But I hate waiting. Waiting is a pet peeve of mine.

EDIT: I have to wait longer now because I'm going to get a SSD that's 30x faster than what I have now instead of one that's 10x faster.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Previous