Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:19 pm

You: More than 15 minutes late to a doctor appointment.
Them: You're rescheduled or seen when they decide to fit you in.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Them: The patient scheduled an hour and a half ago is being seen, there's 3 more in rooms and another one before you in the waiting room but thanks for being on time.

You: Whut?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:23 am

My pet peeve is pet peeves. Man, do they peeve me off!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:40 am

People who stop a car-length or more behind the stop line at a stoplight. I don't understand. I can understand like 2 or 3 feet, because you can't see the line at that point and you don't want to be in danger of getting hit by cross traffic or trigger a red light camera. But 10 or 12 feet? COME ON.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Grimstone » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:05 am

• Anything written/recorded without a date
  • Utility poles not being plumb and straight
  • Trees/vegetation growing on or near power lines
  • Drivers not maintaining a constant speed when trying to merge or pass them

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:46 am

I... may have seen this sort of thing a few too many times over the past several days, and it's annoying me more than usual.

Spoiler: show
“Sometime” is not the same as “some time.”
“Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.” “Sometime” != “some time.”

...And other variations on that theme.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby iMURDAu » Wed May 16, 2018 9:25 pm

Again, this is one for the Adult Kindergarten curriculum.

Single occupancy public bathroom. You come upon one that you need to use. You try the handle. It is locked.

DO NOT KNOCK ON THE DOOR

Your options are to patiently wait or move on in search of another bathroom. There is no point in knocking. The person using the bathroom doesn't care that you're out there and need to use it. It won't make them hurry up, it will probably make them take their sweet time. Also getting angry with them as they exit won't do anything but make you look like more of an idiot.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed May 16, 2018 9:35 pm

How do you know they tried the handle first, though? Most single-occupancy bathrooms I've been to the handle won't move on either side if the door is locked.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Wed May 16, 2018 11:37 pm

Why would someone knock before trying the handle? Oh no, oh I've made a horrible omission.

Part II: The Prequel.

When you're entering a single occupancy bathroom kindly lock the door behind you. Stop being an "accidental" exhibitionist.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:17 pm

NVM, I am what I hate.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:49 am

So I am reminded of another one. I like train travel, when it is feasible, which it is not in Texas or most of the US. It is far more pleasant than driving or worse still, flying. The closest train station to me was 40 minutes away in Springfield, and you have to pay for parking, and yet we would take it into NYC all the time, even with that it was still more pleasant than driving in.

However only the Vermonter, which runs in each direction once a day, is an express train. This means that I would usually be taking a local train, which stopped every five minutes in nowhere, central Connecticut to pick up three people.

That really, really pissed me off, and still does. I have to drive forty minutes and pay for parking and these people are not even being asked to drive ten minutes?

I strongly believe that except in major urban areas, long-distance trains should never have under fifteen minutes between stops, and should ideally have at least thirty.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:53 pm

The word "triggered". More specifically, the way it's often used to mock people who simply care a lot. Express any passion for a field of study you've devoted your life to or an issue that affects you deeply and you will be mocked with memes by troglodytes on the internet for not pretending to be too cool to give a fuck about anything like they do. Apparently the only way to live your life should be to deaden yourself to all emotional investment and float on as an aloof, unfeeling ghost.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:12 pm

I hate people who are disgusted by the word "moist". "mmmmmmmoist".

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:24 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:I hate people who are disgusted by the word "moist". "mmmmmmmoist".

It’s all good. They hate you, too. There are a lot of words that annoy me like that.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:45 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:The word "triggered". More specifically, the way it's often used to mock people who simply care a lot. Express any passion for a field of study you've devoted your life to or an issue that affects you deeply and you will be mocked with memes by troglodytes on the internet for not pretending to be too cool to give a fuck about anything like they do. Apparently the only way to live your life should be to deaden yourself to all emotional investment and float on as an aloof, unfeeling ghost.

So....

Who triggered *ducks*, *runs* yoooooooou?

My pet peeves today are two traffic lights. One on my way to work in the morning has a red light camera with a tendency to not recognize any amount of cars unless the turn lane is occupied. I sat through the other side getting two green lights the other day. I'm too scared of getting a ticket to move up an inch and so was the person next to me. There were about 10 cars by the time we finally got to go. This has begun to happen more frequently but two lights was a first. But if one car pulls in the lane to turn left we'll get a green. smh.

On my way home of night shifts I encounter a light that used to blink yellow at night my way and red the other. Now it stays stationary green for the other way and red my way. The road that branches off leads to an industrial park. There are no homes back there. If a business is sending trucks out it would make more sense for them to stop momentarily at a flashing red and then proceed instead of wasting gas at a full light. There's never enough traffic in that area after 11 pm that a semi couldn't turn left within a few seconds. I don't get the point of the light not flashing red/yellow anymore.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:25 pm

Two in one day:

People who do karate and judo using all the Japanese terms for shit. Some prick from goddamn Dewsbury talking about their kazumi tsuki, the mawashi geri, their fucking sabaki techniques, as if they speak Japanese. As if they understand these concepts only in Japanese.
As far as I can tell, this is done purely for the elitism. It makes perfectly mundane terms exclusive and exotic to make it hard for non-JMA people to understand. Call a kick a kick, with the appropriate modifiers in English if they are needed. It's that easy.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

PreviousNext