Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby AboveGL » Sun May 12, 2013 3:34 pm

Australia wrote:On the complaints about 'l o l', I agree that it's annoying but I've gotten over that. It's when people say 'l o l' in an actual conversation when they're clearly lying that's a peeve. If a joke made them laugh out loud, they'd be laughing out loud. Saying l o l is not only a flat-out lie, it means they didn't even think it was good enough to give a fake courtesy laugh to, so it would have been better just to not acknowledge it at all. Or they're just stupid.


I agree with all of w00's post but I'm sort of with aussie on "L.O.L". I think it's a valid way of saying "I've acknowledged your amusing comment and I'm showing my approval". Which is also why you shouldn't use it as a punctuation mark. I also have no beef with people who use shorthands in instant chat, unless it's over done and riddled with so many smilies you can't understand what they're saying. Then of course it's an issue, clear communication is vital.

EDIT: Oh forum filters.

Blackfish wrote:My current one is droplets of urine on the toilet seat. Okay, fine, you're too lazy to lift the seat. Then wipe the damn seat if you get urine on it. Seriously. I don't even like dealing with my own pee. I like wiping up other people's piss even less.


I agree with all of this post, but this especially.
  • 5

Last edited by AboveGL on Sun May 12, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord
 
Posts: 1797
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:37 pm
Show rep

Re: Pet peeves

Postby D-LOGAN » Sun May 12, 2013 4:04 pm

MuteAnt wrote:On an unrelated note, typing L O L results in "Laughing Out Loud, and too lazy to type it".


And yet it appears to have an unlikely defender-

  • 5

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
User avatar
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3590
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Éire
Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Re: Pet peeves

Postby AboveGL » Sun May 12, 2013 4:12 pm

On filters, we had some on a forum (where I would post in bursts) to stop people from posting overused phrases, often with amusing results.
  • 2

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord
 
Posts: 1797
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:37 pm
Show rep

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Australia » Sun May 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Doc, I was trying to find a counter-argument from Bill Bailey. I saw him live last year and he did a great speech on acronyms but I can't find any variation of it online. Ah, well. At least we know he brought ROFLYSST into the world.

... And I use 'ha' all the time. One syllable sounds much less sarcastic than saying it twice. Slap that guy next time you see him.
  • 3

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
User avatar
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Take a wild guess
Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Sekhmet » Mon May 13, 2013 5:54 am

People who listen to music loudly using the tinny speaker on their cell phone, often on the bus or subway really bother me.

As well as people who feel the need to free-style on the bus with full hand gestures. I have been stuck on a crowded bus more than once with these people and it’s a different person each time.
  • 10

So remember, If the women don’t find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy. –Red Green
Sekhmet
TCS Regular
TCS Regular
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 9:59 am
Location: "City", British Columbia
Show rep

Ladies, we need to have a talk...

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:09 pm

Could we please, in the name of all that is sweet and maternal, get together and DO something about the amount of piss I'm seeing on our public toilet seats? The other day, I was in a restroom that had FIVE stalls with copious splatters of piss in every one. The men's room had two, both of which were clean. Has gender savagery reversed itself entirely, I wonder?

It's the Hovercraft bitches doing this shit and we need to negotiate! If you are one of them, hear me out: I am quite fine with the idea that your hips and thighs are too pure and sacred to touch the same surfaces as mine have. Hover away, if you must! I even understand your biological engineering enough to cheerfully forgive the fact that you're gonna piss everywhere when you do this. Urine is, in fact, a sterile antiseptic brilliantly formulated to kill fecal bacteria, so... good job, I guess?

The part where I get pissed off (no pun intended) is where you just walk away from your biological spillage knowing that other women will be using those facilities before long. I don't hover, you see - our toilets aren't designed for that and I'm too short of limb to improvise. Just because I understand the chemical composition of urine and realize that I won't catch bubonic chlamydia in this fashion does NOT mean I'm willing to sit in a pond of your piss. I Goddamn sure should not be expected to clean up after you if you're old enough to use a toilet by yourself. The ingenious comprise here is: wipe that mess up, damn it! Another reason I don't hover is that when I invariably piss all over the place, I am morally obliged to wipe up and if your piss is also there, that's a matter of principle. I ain't wiping up ye piss, madam, and good luck with makin' me!

I believe you gals already know this is bullshit and here's why: Every time I'm in a high-traffic bathroom with lines of people, there's not a spilled drop to be seen. I don't think Moanin' Myrtle is doing this all by herself. That means you know, somewhere in your hypothetical little mind, that a crazy cunt like me might just come shootin' back out of that stall, screaming condemnations and demanding satisfaction. Doing something that you KNOW offends others - but only when you can get away with it - is selfish, asinine, cowardly and altogether uncivilized. Come on, hypothetical lady, is that the best kind of woman you can be?

I hope my non-hovering sisters will join me in putting a stop to this degeneracy, because I don't like the feeling it gives me toward womankind in general. In fact, if it continues unabated, I've got no qualms about joining the fellas in the men's room. They don't seem to mind - those startled and confused by my presence need only hear the (truthful) words, "s'a mess in there," to nod and resume the Gentleman's Code of Restroom Discretion. To all you men out there, I very much appreciate the gracious hospitality I've always been shown in this awkward situation. The sheer genius with which you seem to have solved this problem among yourselves should serve as a noble example to the "fairer" sex. Rock on!
  • 10

Last edited by DamianaRaven on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
User avatar
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!
Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Marcuse » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:28 pm

My pet peeve is a weirdly specific one. I hate the term "iconoclast" used inappropriately. It's commonly used now in the media to describe something "out there" or "ground breaking" like that's ever had anything to do with the meaning of the word.

What does it actually mean you ask? Well...

Back in the Byzantine Empire they liked nothing better than a good natter about religion. Christianity, to be exact. One of the major points of controversy was the nature of Christ. Orthodox thought held Christ to have two natures, divine and human, which were separate but within Christ. Monophysites, who were considered heretics, believed Christ had one unified nature, and Nestorians held that Christ had two separable natures, which was also considered heresy.

Iconoclasm was the policy of the Isaurian Emperors, who decreed that you could not make an image of Christ because you would fall into one of these heresies. Either he had one unified nature which can be depicted, which would include a divine nature, or he had separable natures so only the human was depicted, but this would be unholy as the divine would not be worshipped. So Iconoclasm is an ORTHODOX argument designed to PREVENT controversy.

We use it now to denote something which transgresses orthodoxy. Duh.
  • 6

User avatar
Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord
 
Posts: 6587
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm
Show rep

Re: Pet peeves

Postby pickledlightshow » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:32 am

My school has an advisory set up system, meaning you're put into basically all day home rooms. You leave to go to classes, but you come back during work time and sit at your desk or use one of the advisory computers. My biggest pet peeve is people using those computers for non school work things. I don't like to bring my laptop to school because there's been quite a bit of theft, and if I ask if you're using the computer, you say yes, and then go back to playing flash games and listening to spotify, I am stabbing you in my mind. ESPECIALLY people who play really REALLY loud rap music from youtube through their ear buds. I can hear it all the way across the room, it uses up the already sparse bandwidth, and I don't even like rap!
Also people that sing along to their music when they've got headphones in. You might not be able to hear how off pitch you are, but I sure as hell can, and I don't even get the benefit of the real song to try to compare with.
  • 9

User avatar
pickledlightshow
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:29 am
Show rep
Title: Post-Modernist

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Blackfish » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm so tired of people making fun of Justin Bieber and Twilight. Everybody knows they suck, making a "Bieber is gay" or "still a better love story than Twilight" joke is such low-hanging fruit that it's a tired cliche by now. I'm much less patient with these jabs because unlike the Bieber and Twilight fans, you're not actively enjoying something, but tearing someone else's enjoyment down, in addition to being an unoriginal bore.

Marcuse wrote:My pet peeve is a weirdly specific one. I hate the term "iconoclast" used inappropriately. [...]

To be fair, word meanings change all the time. For example when I say 'goth' now odds are I don't mean a marauding barbarian tribe from late antiquity, and I'm not saying I'm Czech when I claim to be 'bohemian'. And in my opinion that's alright. Only dead languages don't change. And it's such a cool word that I don't mind it coming into general use again, even with the opposite meaning.

Also, apropos of nothing, I get such a hard on every time someone mentions the Byzantines outside a history forum.
  • 10

Last edited by Blackfish on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
User avatar
Blackfish
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:51 am
Location: no longer finding a tree to piss on
Show rep
Title: Holy Mop Master Race

Re: Pet peeves

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 pm

I've got a couple more.

When people say "borrow" instead of "lend". As in "I borrowed him some money and he hasn't paid me back". Borrowing is the act of receiving, lending is the act of LENDING. Irritates the hell out of me.

Also my wife has been watching a lot of HGTV lately. For those who don't know its a channel about houses, home renovations, and every show on there is a copy of another show on the same network. What bugs me are how often these ungodly rich people whine about en suite bathrooms and open concept floor plans. Oh that wall holds up the structure but can we knock it down so I can hang out in the kitchen and watch my kids watch TV while I'm cooking? Also this house has 5 bedrooms but only the master has its own en suite bathroom so its not going to cut it for us because we have the free time to clean 5 goddamn bathrooms while somehow being able to afford a multi-million dollar home. Makes for a good blackout hospital visit drinking game. If you take a shot everytime you hear open concept, you'll be dead in an hour.
  • 10

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 6558
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Marcuse » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Blackfish wrote:To be fair, word meanings change all the time. For example when I say 'goth' now odds are I don't mean a marauding barbarian tribe from late antiquity, and I'm not saying I'm Czech when I claim to be 'bohemian'


I see your point, but usually there's some reason or organic change to the term, where it is in common usage. I've only heard "iconoclast" used in the context of Byzantine religious controversy, and then in music magazines to sound cool. My peeve is that the meaning of the word hasn't changed, but the usage is now incorrect because the meaning behind the word hasn't shifted accordingly, so it's now used in direct opposition to its meaning.
  • 0

User avatar
Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord
 
Posts: 6587
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm
Show rep

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Australia » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Without a doubt, the worst, and most frequent, misuse of a word that gets on my nerves is 'humbling'. Every single award speech, the actor or singer or whoever says it's humbling to win. It FUCKING isn't. You mean it's an honour. It's an honour to be nominated among such big stars. It's downright insulting for you to say when nominated 'it's very humbling to be nominated in the same category as Morgan Freeman". So he sucks so bad that it brings your ego down to his level? That's not how the word works. Once the winner is announced, it may be humbling to lose if you were expecting to win, but in no circumstances can being voted the best at something be humbling.

And mosquitos. Boy, their bites are annoying, huh? But killing them with a slap to the arm is a very humbling experience.
  • 16

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
User avatar
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Take a wild guess
Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Re: Pet peeves

Postby AboveGL » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:03 pm

People who leave dog shit on the pavement and don't clean it up, and (overuse of) the phrase "lost faith in humanity".
  • 7

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord
 
Posts: 1797
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:37 pm
Show rep

Re: Pet peeves

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Fuck, Aussie... now you've got me all pissed off about it! You're absolutely right, of course. I've never noticed this connection before but when you put the semantics together just so - as you so astutely have done - it is an act of appallingly bad manners to defer a compliment or honor from someone by insulting their standards and taste.

One day, in honor of this moment, I might just create myself an opportunity to pelt one of these offenders with a few overripe tomatoes and then explain just as sweetly as you please, "No, dear, that's what 'humbling' feels like." People get humility and modesty confused a little too often. Being humbled is kind of supposed to be a shitty feeling, isn't it - the loss of pride and dignity as you come to the realization that you utterly suck and mistakes have been made all around you?

Perhaps if we start writing letters to the organizations that host these ego-orgies and thoroughly explain what it is we're hearing, someone will listen and coach the word "humbling" out of their silly scripts. There are lots of beautiful words to offer in its place: inspiring, uplifting, encouraging. The recipients can express more reasonable emotions such as gratitude and determination without inferring, "hey, this has something in common with that time I was in the back of a cop car covered with vomit."

I don't lay claim to ever having "lost faith in humanity," because it would be a straight-up lie. I've never once trusted the sum of we fuckers any further than I can spit!
  • 7

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
User avatar
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!
Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Sekhmet » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:45 am

AboveGL wrote: (overuse of) the phrase "lost faith in humanity".


I would like to add “kill/rape/ruining my childhood” when someone gives a different perspective on a childhood favourite.

No, nothing has destroyed you memory. You are growing up and things are changing. This does not mean that you cannot be deeply disturbed by what you see but past memories are the same.

A reboot of a childhood favourite will not devalue memories either.
  • 10

So remember, If the women don’t find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy. –Red Green
Sekhmet
TCS Regular
TCS Regular
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 9:59 am
Location: "City", British Columbia
Show rep

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron