Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Marcuse » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:05 pm

I still don't see how that's remotely relevant. I was using it in the context of explaining who lived in Greenland, in contrast with Indians and Europeans. "Eskimo" is the maximally broad term which makes this distinction, as I pointed out in the conversation. It's also the more familiar term.

When it comes to the inhabitants of Greenland, I generally use the term "Greenlander," however for people who don't know who already live in Greenland that's uninformative. When it comes to the Inuit of Canada I generally use the term "Inuit," but there are contexts where "Eskimo" makes sense as well.


This doesn't make sense, when the Inuit of Canada and Greenland have made it clear that they don't wish to be called Eskimo, to the point where it's been removed from all official documentation in those countries as a result of their stated preference as a group in those regions. When you refer to Greenlander natives, the term Inuit is perfectly acceptable, and I don't buy the idea that you have to use Eskimo as a "maximally broad" term when it's factually inaccurate in the first place as the people you're identifying with that term don't use it and have stated they don't want to be identified with it.

It's also absurd to use the status of the native people of Alaska to justify sloppy usage of broad terminology, and omit the context that you were at that time talking about the people of Greenland. What Native Alaskans wish to be called has no bearing on the intentions and feelings of the people of Greenland.
  • 5

User avatar
Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord
 
Posts: 6469
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm
Show rep

Re: Pet peeves

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:16 pm

It's not "factually inaccurate" to call Inuits "Eskimos," since "Eskimos" is the collective term for Inuits and Yupik. However when specifically talking about the natives of Greenland I use "Greenlanders" because there are also Inuit in Canada and the North Slope of Alaska.

It's not that I make a conscious decision to use the maximally broad term which distinguishes what I'm talking about, it's just that I do that automatically. To people whom I don't know well, I talk about my "birds" because that's all most people are likely to care about. In some contexts I talk about my "parrots," because I need to distinguish them from other birds. I only distinguish the species when talking to bird people.

I didn't mention the context in which the conversation occurred because I still don't believe it was important. I believe that it is inappropriate for white Canadians and Danes to "correct" people using "Eskimo," regardless of context.
  • 1

User avatar
cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 8180
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: Three miles from the bat bridge
Show rep
Title: The Bad Bart of Ruddigore

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Sellers, it seems the crux of your argument is that Dino and Strant are white. Firstly I think it's questionable to make posts on the forum which extend arguments started in Discord. But more importantly I really do not think it's fair to criticize them for being white. Your resentment is based on your experiences with white Americans, which really has NOTHING to do with the behavior of white Scandinavians. I was there for the original argument because I accidentally started it. Nobody was telling you you're being offensive or trying to police your language, even though you took it that way. The assumption was that you just didn't know the proper term.
  • 7

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9587
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:49 pm

I'm sorry, what? Might be just me but I think it's kind of weird to get into an argument on discord and then make a passive-aggressive post on a thread like this out of nowhere? If it was, for example, over some news that also had a thread on Current Affairs, then posting on there that might make sense but... idk :P

(apologies for going off-topic again and again, I'll stop with this post swearsies(//・_・//)")
  • 10

Image
User avatar
Ladki96
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:32 pm
Location: India
Show rep
Title: =)

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Kate » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:28 pm

My pet peeve of the day is passive aggressively dragging arguments into other places, not providing full context, and not letting people in the argument know that you're talking about them elsewhere.

And also the phrase "Bless your heart." Do you mean that genuinely or in the "Fuck you" way? I can't tell! I'm not southern enough.
  • 11

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
User avatar
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate
 
Posts: 2932
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Assembling Future Kate
Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Lindvaettr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:31 pm

Kate wrote:And also the phrase "Bless your heart." Do you mean that genuinely or in the "Fuck you" way? I can't tell! I'm not southern enough.


My sister has taken to using infantilizations, like "Sweetie", when she wants to condescend people. It's infuriating.
  • 11

User avatar
Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:19 am
Location: Various, depending on time and day
Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:05 pm

Spoiler: show
cmsellers wrote:People from other countries "correcting" my use of "Eskimo" and telling me "they prefer 'Inuit'."

"Eskimo" is a term that collectively refers to the Inuit and Yupik. Most of the Eskimos in the US are Yupik, and their feelings on the matter tend to be similar to those of most Indians. "I'd prefer you call me by my nation's name, but if you can't I prefer [Indian/Eskimo]."

Now, it's absolutely true that the Inuit have requested that even when referring to the Inuit and Yupik collectively people use "Inuit" and the governments of Canada and Denmark, who have no Yupik citizens, do that. However it seems to me a bit like the English declaring the "British" is offensive and they'd prefer "English" to be used for all inhabitants of the British Isles.

I know very well what I'm doing, as an American I have good reason to do it, and yet whenever I explain this I still get into arguments with white people telling me it's offensive. Personally, I find the attempts of white people to engage in cultural imperialism against the Yupik offensive.

Yeah, I can see why being corrected for being wrong is a pet peeve. I hate that too.
  • 8

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
User avatar
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 2550
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 8:38 pm
Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Re: Pet peeves

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:59 am

I wasn't trying to drag the argument here from Discord. I told the people I was arguing with I was posting it here and continued it there. However Canadians do this a lot, and it genuinely annoys me. Enough that I apparently posted it twice, this time involving a Dane.

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:Yeah, I can see why being corrected for being right is a pet peeve. I hate that too.

FTFY.
  • 1

User avatar
cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 8180
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: Three miles from the bat bridge
Show rep
Title: The Bad Bart of Ruddigore

Re: Pet peeves

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:09 am

cmsellers wrote:
Dr. Ambiguous wrote:Yeah, I can see why being corrected for being right is a pet peeve. I hate that too.

FTFY.


Wait, why would he fight ten friendly youths?
  • 8

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Pet peeves

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:37 am

So I just talked with Tess about this.

I knew even while posting my response to Ambi that it wouldn't get the result I want, which is for people to drop this. I don't actually like arguing about this, but I also feel compelled to when people "correct" me and I believe their "corrections" are incorrect.

I had a really bad day in San Antonio today, which probably put me much more on-edge than I normally am. The juxtaposition of Kate calling me passive-aggressive when I wasn't trying to be (I was merely venting) and Ambi actually being passive-aggressive was too much for me, and so I reacted by ... being passive-aggressive for real myself.

For the record I actually think that Tess is right and I probably did let my experiences with white Americans and Canadians color my reaction to Dino. And since I didn't intend to have an argument here I'm not going to argue the point any further.
  • 4

User avatar
cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 8180
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: Three miles from the bat bridge
Show rep
Title: The Bad Bart of Ruddigore

Re: Pet peeves

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:51 am

cmsellers wrote:For the record I actually think that Tess is right and I probably did let my experiences with white Americans and Canadians color my reaction to Dino. And since I didn't intend to have an argument here I'm not going to argue the point any further.


Wait Dino? I'm completely confused on what happened, so why did you react badly to Dean Martin and how does that relate to Eskimo's? You know what, let's just forget about it. I don't want to know anymore.



Spoiler: show
My pet peeve is the fact that people are not direct anymore, with their thoughts and their feelings. And when you notice that something is wrong and want to work on cheering her up and resolve any issues they don't tell you what, you beg them to tell you and they shrug it off and then let these things continue and drag on. And of course this causes great pain and anguish to those that still love them, and the worst part is that you had to wait a week knowing that something is wrong and that you will soon lose the one they love for reasons you don't even know.

You go on a trip and she messages you "we need to talk", "it's serious", "can't promise you that I won't break up with you" and she can't even say that she loves you back. For weeks you have to wait until you can see the one you love in person, knowing that when you finally see her she will take one look at you and say it's over. No matter how many times you pleaded to find out what even is the issue, to at least talk about it.

They just give you up, and don't make any attempt to try and resolve things or even give you a chance to help. After years they just give you up like that, not even willing to fight for what we had or give me a chance to.

Anyway, a person I know had to deal with that and I guess it's just something which is a pet peeve of mine.
  • 8

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Pet peeves

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:09 am

That sounds more like a very specific rant than a pet peeve, Jim.
  • 1

User avatar
cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 8180
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: Three miles from the bat bridge
Show rep
Title: The Bad Bart of Ruddigore

Re: Pet peeves

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:23 pm

You're not the peeve police! You are fake news!

Jim, I'm thinking whatever your friend did or didn't do may be irrelevant. When people want to move on they'll do it no matter what and they may be unwilling to leave a chance of reconciliation because their head made a decision they don't want their heart to override. Maybe your friend can cheer himself up by running through a busy public place with a dog and if anyone gives a sideways look just say it's a service dog and you thought this was America. I mean, your friend thought it was America.
  • 4

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 6268
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Pet peeves

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:20 pm

cmsellers wrote:That sounds more like a very specific rant than a pet peeve, Jim.

Really? Oh sorry about that then.

But yeah, it is more of a complaint in general, because there have been several occasions when a lack of directness has frustrated me. My friend's example though I guess is what made me decide to post about it. Yeah...
  • 7

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Pet peeves

Postby IamNotCreepy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:27 pm

Jim, I have been on the receiving end of that a couple of times myself, and it sucks. Unfortunately, the more you push, the more they will pull away.

Maybe with some time they can come to a place where they can talk about it, but maybe they will never be emotionally mature enough, and in the long run you're better off.

But until then it's painful and sad and it just plain sucks. I'm sorry.
  • 4

User avatar
IamNotCreepy
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Inside the "Cone of Uncertainty"
Show rep
Title: The Yeast of Thought and Mind

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests