Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby D-LOGAN » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:27 pm

Seals on the road.

I'm not kidding by the way. SEALS ON THE FUCKING ROAD! It's 2017 for God's sake. COME ON! A man of my standing shouldn't have to deal with this.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby cmsellers » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:51 am

D-LOGAN wrote:Seals on the road.

I'm not kidding by the way. SEALS ON THE FUCKING ROAD! It's 2017 for God's sake. COME ON! A man of my standing shouldn't have to deal with this.

Come on, Logan, we all see the real issue here:

SEALs kill terrorists and you're a secret IRA member.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby D-LOGAN » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:07 am

That's neither here nor there.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:07 am

I don't mind to drive over the seals. Otherwise there would just be a bunch of cracks still in the road. :lol:

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby SilverMaple » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:45 am

I work in a genetics lab. As with any science, there are a lot of acronyms. After all, which would you rather say several times a day, "fluorodeoxyuridine" or just "FUDR"?

Which is all well and good, but it drives me nuts when people talk about "PCR reactions" (polymerase chain reaction reactions) or "NGS sequencing" (next generation sequencing sequencing). It's the equivalent of saying "ATM machine". YOU ALL KNOW BETTER THAN THAT, DAMMIT.

Bert wrote:The best part of my job is fistfighting an 8 year old every day.

//Friend come and go, like the wave in the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on our face.\\
SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Nerd of a Feather

Postby cmsellers » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:57 am

SilverMaple wrote:I work in a genetics lab. As with any science, there are a lot of acronyms. After all, which would you rather say several times a day, "fluorodeoxyuridine" or just "FUDR"?

Which is all well and good, but it drives me nuts when people talk about "PCR reactions" (polymerase chain reaction reactions) or "NGS sequencing" (next generation sequencing sequencing). It's the equivalent of saying "ATM machine". YOU ALL KNOW BETTER THAN THAT, DAMMIT.

That's called a "Redundant Acronym Phrase" or more appropriately, a "RAP phrase."

Now excuse me while I try to remember my PIN number for the ATM machine.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:32 pm

Yet another literal "pet" peeve (I seem to have a lot of these): the "lovebirds need to be kept in pairs" meme.

Lovebirds are some of the most aggressive parrots of all parrots commonly kept as pets. Only parrotlets may be worse. (Surely it's not a coincidence that these are also both very small parrots.) In flocks, a bully lovebird won't be able to focus on any one victim, but in pairs the bully (or an overly-friendly lovebird) will have only one outlet, and a pair of unrelated lovebirds is likely to result in a dead lovebird. I had this happen twice (once from murder, once from stress due to overpreening), when I was new to parrots; I'm furious that I'm still seeing this godawful advice all over the place almost two decades later.

If you want to keep a pair of lovebirds (unless you're breeding lovebirds and know what you're doing) they need to be siblings from the same clutch, but a flock or a single lovebird is preferable.

But oh they're called "lovebirds" and have little heart-shaped faces and look so adorable together, clearly they're meant to be kept in pairs!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:17 pm

Those terrible, unfunny "relationship" memes that basically just repeat the worn out lines of hack comedians and the facile "wise words" of bitter opinionated old aunts and uncles. Something is not renewed nor made funny or insightful just because you post it as text over a stock image that is sometimes used by people who are more creative and/or have healthier approaches to their relationships than you.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby cmsellers » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:55 am

Anglerphobe wrote:Those terrible, unfunny "relationship" memes that basically just repeat the worn out lines of hack comedians and the facile "wise words" of bitter opinionated old aunts and uncles. Something is not renewed nor made funny or insightful just because you post it as text over a stock image that is sometimes used by people who are more creative and/or have healthier approaches to their relationships than you.

Say, have you ever noticed how wives can spend all their husbands' money on shoes because the husbands are too busy watching football and not having sex to notice?

Give me a TV show, CBS!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:12 pm

Facebook is like a pet peeve generator. It finds new peeves I didn't know I had.

One I found lately is people not following simple directions. My sister does this black and white photo thing, some trend that's been going around. The rules are pretty simple, 7 days, black and white photos that you took yourself, no people in them.

She posts pics that she clearly didn't take, that feature other people in them, like an old pic of my granddad back from WW2.

All to drum up some attention, I guess.

Which points out another peeve I have: people talking about their whole goddamn life story, like anyone really gives a shit. Spoiler alert: they don't. They fucking don't.

Another peeve: lately, there have been people posting pics as videos. 30 second video clip, and it's just one goddamn picture. It was driving me nuts, because you know, a pic isn't going anywhere, it doesn't need to be played, it can't be paused, and it's just 30 seconds of that. Why? But then I realized it's to feed egos. Videos have a counter for how many people have seen it, while pictures generally don't.

So now pictures can "go viral."

Christ.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:07 am

People trying to crush my bones with a handshake. Veins popping out of his neck, face turning red, white knuckles etc. I assume these guys were told that a strong handshake makes a good first impression and decided to take that to its logical conclusion.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:People trying to crush my bones with a handshake. Veins popping out of his neck, face turning red, white knuckles etc. I assume these guys were told that a strong handshake makes a good first impression and decided to take that to its logical conclusion.

There is a old trick that my father taught me and I have been doing it ever since, and now I pass it down to you and to all other TCS members.

If you're shaking his right hand and don't have the grip strength to crush him for his thuggishness the trick is to twist your hand sharply clock-wise against his thumb and you'd be able to push it and get your hand out through the gap. Takes some practice but when you can do it smoothly enough add a smile and then act casual as though nothing happened, if they were really trying then the simplicity in you getting out of their "death-grip" usually leaves them looking red and confused.

Another trick is one I learnt from the Jack Reacher novels (if you know the dude is a thug and would try to "death-grip" you) is to go for the handshake but in the last second move your hand slightly back so the palm of your hand wraps partly around his knuckles instead, then he can be the strongest man alive but he wouldn't be able to do much.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:58 pm

I usually try to just keep a poker face. People who make a confrontation of a fucking handshake shouldn't be antagonised. The most I'm likely to do is decline future handshakes from that person and maybe bitch about them on the internet.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tuli » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 am

When I write up a long reply on a thread, forget to copy it before hitting Submit, and of course it turns out I've been logged out of the site meanwhile. Sigh.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Tuli wrote:When I write up a long reply on a thread, forget to copy it before hitting Submit, and of course it turns out I've been logged out of the site meanwhile. Sigh.

Can't you just press back and then copy it?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

PreviousNext