Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Australia » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Or was 'nevermore' the 'drop mic' of King's time and he was saying the rap itself was nevermore because there's no comeback worthy of continuing?

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby SandTea » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:05 pm

oh thank god. I never noticed they expected me to insert a space (even though they spelled it out lol)

honestly a great relief.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby octoberpumpkin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:43 am

Pronouncing niche as nitch

PRONOUNCING NICHE AS NITCHHHHH

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby Grimstone » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:15 am

octoberpumpkin wrote:Pronouncing niche as nitch

PRONOUNCING NICHE AS NITCHHHHH

I think I've been reading niche as 'nish' (haven't really thought about it until now).

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:44 am

Really distracting and out of place cameos.

See: Ed Sheeran on the most recent episode of Game of Thrones.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Yeah what the fuck was that? Is that where the producers are now? Just tossing in any celebrity who wants to do it? I mean It'd have been cool if they'd had the make-up artists do him up with like a big bead or what have you and no one knew it was him, and everyone was like 'Oh my Gawd' after they found out but to straight up just put Ed Sheeran in Game Of Thrones, which is what they did, let's be honest it's what they did ... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you.

This is that scene from Extras where Coldplay randomly show up in the Office because Coldplay man was a fan.

And the music these kids do be listening to these days is just noise karnshernit!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby SandTea » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:26 am

D-LOGAN wrote:And the music these kids do be listening to these days is just noise karnshernit!

See, all ya gotta do is have no idea who these people are. Then you can watch GoT and not notice ...a singer? Like, I'm not looking forward to harry stiles in 'Dunkirk' but I can guarantee I won't recognize him in it. Unless there's a break in the depressing war for a boyband concert, I'll probably never know which one is him. It's only because there was singing in that GoT episode that I can retroactively "really guys? really?" old man huff

editx2 cause i'm an idiot bonus maybe spoilers-
Spoiler: show
I think whats her face gunna slice up that mudder futter tho.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby reallifegirl » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:56 pm

I didn't exactly have a huge problem with his cameo, because he didn't do too much and his acting was fine, but I admit that I was not thrilled with my sister's piercing shriek of "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" when he came onscreen.

Different TV related nitpick: I hate reading discussions/recaps of any show that's binge-released on Netflix/any other streaming platform and seeing people ruin future episodes.

I'm finally getting around to watching the latest season of Black Mirror (pro-tip: don't watch right before bed) and I'm annoyed that the one I just watched got ruined for me out of nowhere by a stray comment on the premiere on AVClub.

Last edited by Marcuse on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed [u] tag
"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby reallifegirl » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:28 pm

When TV shows/any sort of serialized sort of fiction has two characters with really good chemistry that the audience likes, and the writers decide, "You know what would be great? If these characters HATED each other and FOUGHT ALL THE TIME."

Gotham was pretty damn guilty of this (though they started righting the boat in the back half of the past season) but now I'm binge-watching this show, Versailles, and it is torturous.

It seriously went from "manipulative political scheming and intrigue" to "everyone is just screaming, crying, and doing cocaine".

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby cmsellers » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:18 am

OK, another literal pet peeve:
People talking about an animal's "gender."
Gender doesn't exist if you're not self-aware, which most animals aren't.
And even if an elephant, for example, had gender dysphoria, we'd never know it.
Seriously, what's their problem?
Are these people too delicate to say the word "sex"?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Paradox » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:38 am

In the Romance languages, 'sex' refers to your biological reproductive role, and 'gender' to regular nouns. Therefore, a person can be either male or female (linguistically speaking), but the word 'person' is always of the feminine gender (in Portuguese).

I'm not sure how it works for other languages with gendered nouns, but English speakers have always kind of used 'gender' and 'sex' interchangeably. Possibly because they're too delicate to use he word 'sex'. The concept of gender as a form of self expression that is unrelated to physiology has only become mainstream very recently. I guess they just have never given it much thought.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:11 pm

If thou usest "thou" instead of "you" for whatever reason, thou shalt use the correct form of verb with it.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby cmsellers » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:57 am

CarrieVS wrote:If thou usest "thou" instead of "you" for whatever reason, thou shalt use the correct form of verb with it.

See, I'm more annoyed by people who use the wrong case—"If thee insultest me I shall punch thou"—or use it with multiple people.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:20 pm

cmsellers wrote:See, I'm more annoyed by people who use the wrong case—"If thee insultest me I shall punch thou"—or use it with multiple people.

Yes, those too. Although I must admit to a slight uncertainty as to the correct usage of thee vs thou until yesterday when I looked it up. But I came across a particularly irritating example yesterday in the shape of a list of "commandments" which were written in the form "thou shall...". Basically if thou wilt use it, thou shalt use it correctly.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

PreviousNext