Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:48 am

Anglerphobe wrote:Two in one day:

People who do karate and judo using all the Japanese terms for shit. Some prick from goddamn Dewsbury talking about their kazumi tsuki, the mawashi geri, their fucking sabaki techniques, as if they speak Japanese. As if they understand these concepts only in Japanese.
As far as I can tell, this is done purely for the elitism. It makes perfectly mundane terms exclusive and exotic to make it hard for non-JMA people to understand. Call a kick a kick, with the appropriate modifiers in English if they are needed. It's that easy.

e Bu
But Anglerphobe! Attacking people doesn't sound as cool when you call out your attacks in English. And combat isn't cool if you're not telegraphing your attacks and getting your ass whooped as a result. It's the way of the Bushido!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:10 pm

So this happened again, and it is by no means the first time. I called a number with a long holding pattern. After waiting anywhere from half an hour to an hour and a half, someone picks me up, asks if they can put me on hold, and puts me on a different kind of hold before I can respond. Then, within a minute, the call is dropped. If I have more than a half hour wait and they ask if they can put me on hold again and then do it, it seems like this always happens.

Are they doing this deliberately to reduce call volume? Because that would be a dick move. Even if it is not intentional, if you are not ready to talk to me, then do not fucking pick up. And what makes them think it is OK to drop a call they have put on this other kind of hold if they did pick up? Now I have to start over at the end of the line again!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:46 pm

cmsellers wrote:So this happened again, and it is by no means the first time. I called a number with a long holding pattern. After waiting anywhere from half an hour to an hour and a half, someone picks me up, asks if they can put me on hold, and puts me on a different kind of hold before I can respond. Then, within a minute, the call is dropped. If I have more than a half hour wait and they ask if they can put me on hold again and then do it, it seems like this always happens.

Are they doing this deliberately to reduce call volume? Because that would be a dick move. Even if it is not intentional, if you are not ready to talk to me, then do not fucking pick up. And what makes them think it is OK to drop a call they have put on this other kind of hold if they did pick up? Now I have to start over at the end of the line again!

More than likely, they recognized that your account was supposed to be handled by a different department and attempted to transfer you over. Then either there was an issue with the phone system or they had an outdated number/extension to transfer you to, and it resulted in a dead end.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:03 pm

In this case, it was the right department, but that may explain many of the other cases where this has happened.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:39 pm

cmsellers wrote:(fun waiting on hold)

I may have an idea of what they may have been going for...

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby JamishT » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:42 am

Recently, I've developed a strong aversion toward guiros (or similar clicky instruments and sounds) being used in songs. They're used as little fillers, and I hate it. It's ruined several songs for me, songs I used to love!

Instrument I'm referring to:

Examples of songs I once loved:

This song doesn't have a guiro in it, but those clicks in the verses drive me insane.

This one has it in the CHORUS. It sounds like there was a cricket in the studio that they decided to mix in.

Those are just the two that are front of mind, but I know there are more songs that have been removed from my playlists or haven't made on to them to start with.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:07 pm

Websites who, after you apply for a job, get this weird idea that, even though you applied for something that should earn you money, what you really need is to spend money on another degree. So they have a (relatively humanlike) robot call you, offer to match you up with more jobs, and by the way, surely you would like to further your education, right?

*click*

(I may have just spent four minutes on the phone with one of them, and the pathetic thing is that it wasn’t the first time, but I still didn’t see the twist coming.)

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Don't want to get bug spray on anything in the house.

Go outside to apply bug spray.

Get bit immediately.

:roll:

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:38 am

Now that I have started baking bread, I have discovered that it is very hard to find whole-grain bread recipes which do not use any white flour. This is similarly the case when I look for recipes for bread with extra bran: invariably these recipes seem to have so much white flour that you would get more fiber from replacing both bran and flour with whole wheat flour, and even if it is a "whole wheat bran" recipe which uses a token amount of whole wheat.

Admittedly, whole wheat and especially rye flour have less gluten for their volume than white flour, and the white flour usually, but not always, is high-gluten bread flour. However it is still entirely possible to make bread without any white flour, especially if you add vital wheat gluten (which is derived from white flour but without the starch and you don't need much of it).

So it annoys me to see "whole wheat rye bread" that uses twice as much white bread flour as whole wheat and rye combined. It is especially annoying as most of these recipes talk about how healthy this bread is at some point. It is white bread with a bit of whole grain for color, not whole grain bread.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Windows 10. Just generally.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:14 pm

clothes shopping, in general

I needed to buy pants because most of mine are worn out, and I have gift cards for a store about five minutes away. I went there earlier today, and nothing is even vaguely identified except by brand. I had to walk around most of the perimeter just to find the men’s section, and then wander through about four different sections of pants (sorted by brand name, because that’s what really matters) and hope that, maybe, somewhere, there were cargo pants that were labeled properly and fit me in a color that I don’t find ridiculous. There was exactly one pair that was like that, and the only reason it didn’t eat up the entire value of the gift card that had more money on it was because it was on sale. At least checking out was quick.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:00 pm

People who are new at their job and assume you don't know anything about yours.

Our green af lottery rep called the store wanting to know why I didn't activate the new scratch tickets. I said I'd do it once they arrive. He says they're in transit (so why bother calling?) and that someone must have refused them (again, he literally said in the same sentence they're in transit). I told him nobody would refuse them, tried to explain the definition of "in transit" and also let him know sometimes the new tickets are a day or two late but he said he'd check into it and call me back. *Saitama OK jpg*

He calls back an hour later saying other stores didn't get their delivery either. Then tells me we should get them today or tomorrow. I was like "thanks for letting me know", taking my time to say it so I can get in a good four second eye roll.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:02 pm

People who insist that humans evolved to eat only meat or only plants. The latter group annoy me more, because the "humans are natural carnivores" people are almost always obviously kooks (I am not sure I have heard anyone not associated in some way with the manosphere make this claim), while the "humans have not evolved to eat meat" people are very often actual doctors and other people who you would think should know better.

Now, it is true that we have not co-evolved with the amount of saturated fat we get in our diets for very long, since wild animals are low in fat and what fat they have is often higher in unsaturated fat (particularly with fish), and most people after we domesticated livestock could not afford to eat meat every day. However the fact remains that we have been omnivores going back to the time our ancestors were monkeys, and early humans ate a larger meat share than our nearest relatives (while still getting most of their calories from plants).

I just saw one by a psychiatrist (!) who argued that the fact that humans do not have teeth like carnivores, babies do not instinctively try to kill rabbits, and we have a poor sense of smell compared to cats and dogs. He of course ignored the fact that we do not have teeth the teeth (or the gut) for strict herbivory either, that avian predators have almost no sense of smell, and that mammalian carnivorans can be raised not to treat prey animals as prey.

The frustrating thing in this guy's case is that apparently he conducted a study which seems promising. His study suggest that a near elimination of animal fats in the diet can reverse diabetes and heart disease. However he did not apparently have a control looking at saturated vs unsaturated fats regardless of the source (which I suspect is the more likely cause), and the fact that he is so aggressively and dishonestly anti-meat makes anything he says extremely suspect without replication.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:15 am

cmsellers wrote:People who insist that humans evolved to eat only meat or only plants. The latter group annoy me more, because the "humans are natural carnivores" people are almost always obviously kooks (I am not sure I have heard anyone not associated in some way with the manosphere make this claim), while the "humans have not evolved to eat meat" people are very often actual doctors and other people who you would think should know better.

Now, it is true that we have not co-evolved with the amount of saturated fat we get in our diets for very long, since wild animals are low in fat and what fat they have is often higher in unsaturated fat (particularly with fish), and most people after we domesticated livestock could not afford to eat meat every day. However the fact remains that we have been omnivores going back to the time our ancestors were monkeys, and early humans ate a larger meat share than our nearest relatives (while still getting most of their calories from plants).

I just saw one by a psychiatrist (!) who argued that the fact that humans do not have teeth like carnivores, babies do not instinctively try to kill rabbits, and we have a poor sense of smell compared to cats and dogs. He of course ignored the fact that we do not have teeth the teeth (or the gut) for strict herbivory either, that avian predators have almost no sense of smell, and that mammalian carnivorans can be raised not to treat prey animals as prey.

The frustrating thing in this guy's case is that apparently he conducted a study which seems promising. His study suggest that a near elimination of animal fats in the diet can reverse diabetes and heart disease. However he did not apparently have a control looking at saturated vs unsaturated fats regardless of the source (which I suspect is the more likely cause), and the fact that he is so aggressively and dishonestly anti-meat makes anything he says extremely suspect without replication.

Natural herbivore or carnivore aside, I'd rather die eating bacon every day than live forever eating lettuce.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:07 am

Did you know that the apes in Madagascar will start to eat meat if the tribe gets to big and fruit becomes scarce as a result?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext