Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:24 pm

cmsellers wrote: *Dogs*

People where I live let their dogs run around off the leash around farm animals far too much.There are popular walking and cycling trails which cut through fields which are occupied by sheep for much of the year, often with lambs. I have lost track of how many times I've overheard farmers complaining about it in the pub (farmers spend a great deal of their time complaining about shit in pubs). Every so often you hear of a dog getting shot because of this.
I love dogs, and I'm happy to greet them and play with them if they approach me calmly, but I won't indulge one which is zooming around and barking because that behaviour could be misconstrued as aggression by small children or other animals and would be annoying to people who don't like dogs. My impression is that owners who dismiss how poorly their animal behaves in these settings are usually terrible at being in charge of their dogs in general.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby cmsellers » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Another one that annoys me is people making the effort to "save" commercial broad-breasted turkeys, usually by buying them from a farm. The two commercial turkey breeds—broad-breasted bronze and broad-breasted white—have such gigantic breasts that they cannot breed naturally and cannot even stand and walk properly. They really shouldn't exist at all, but it's certainly doing them no kindness to extend their lives. There are still people who breed heritage breeds for eating, and those turkeys can still live good lives. If you want to "rescue" a turkey, make it one of those, and know that in buying those turkeys, you're also not supporting the agricultural practices which produce the broad-breasted freaks.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:19 am

People who get upset that the frozen turkey they bought the day before or on Thanksgiving didn't thaw in time.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:05 pm

Mayonnaise.

Hey let's create this awesome hamburger or chicken sandwich, sell it for a high price at our fancy eating establishment, and slather the most disgusting fat/oil hybrid condiment that we can find all over it.

You serve me up a $12 burger with mayo on it, you can throw that out and make another one. It's been my experience that most eateries love to list every last ingredient on their menu and then surprise you with mayo. I'm waiting for the day when I order a steak and it arrives drowning in mayo.

Yes I do ask if something comes with mayo but sometimes I forget or am trusting of the description listed on the menu.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Are you a millennial Murda?!

Mayonnaise is the worst kind of gooey >> and that's the best stupid article I've seen in a while. Came across it by a guy laugh-reading it youtube link

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:53 pm

When it's on a fancy burger, it's called "aioli".

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby JamishT » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:53 am

iMURDA, if we ever meet up, I'll take all the mayo they give you.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:39 pm

Ladki96 wrote:Are you a millennial Murda?!

Mayonnaise is the worst kind of gooey >> and that's the best stupid article I've seen in a while. Came across it by a guy laugh-reading it youtube link

I was Generation X then I was Generation Y now I'm a millennial according to some and not to others, idk. Imo I was 19 years old when the year 2000 arrived so I can't be lumped in with people who don't know what a world without internet is like. I've seen where people like me born in 1980 and later are supposed to be considered millennials which is hilarious to me because some of my peers are grandparents so what are those later generations called? You can't say a 36 year old and their 16 year old child are both millennials.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Piter Lauchy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:38 pm

In order to be considered a millennial you need to be killing something. You're killing the mayonnaise industry, so yes, you're a millennial. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby cmsellers » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:43 am

Millennials generally remember a world before the internet was ubiquitous. (I don't remember a world without the internet, but that's only because my father is a computer scientist, so we've always been on the bleeding edge of things. I do remember the Mosaic webbrowser and a time when AltaVista was a respectable search engine, though.) It's why one proposed name for the generation after us is "Digital Natives."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 pm

The one source of added sugar in my diet is chocolate, and while I probably don't need to remove all added sugar from my diet, now that I'm trying to do Keto, I've noticed that my appetite goes up dramatically after eating relatively small amounts of sweetened chocolate, but not unsweetened chocolate and seemingly not milk or fruit. So I've been trying to find decent unsweetened eating chocolate (my favorite is hard to find in stores and wicked expensive to boot), and in the process been reminded of three things which annoy me every time I encounter them.

First, not only is unsweetened chocolate (except the absolutely awful Baker's brand) very hard to find but because it's almost always sold as baking chocolate, it's clearly conched for a much shorter period, leading to a gritty texture and more bitter flavor. This is true even for brands such as Ghiradelli, which produces eating chocolate which is smooth and without bitterness, and baking chocolate almost as bad as Baker's.

Second is the tendency of companies to offer low-sugar or sugar-free alternatives by using alternative sweeteners instead of simply cutting back unnecessary sugar. This reaches its nadir in those disgusting "sugar-free chocolate" made with non-caloric sweeteners which you now find everywhere. (I've tried a few, and while they don't always have off tastes, they're always way sweeter than normal chocolate.) This is doubly annoying with chocolate, because it lets manufacturers save money by using Forastero cacao (the cheapest, most common, and only bitter strain of chocolate) not conch it, and then replace expensive chocolate with cheap sweeteners.

Finally, and most annoyingly: there's Google's tendency to use near-synonyms with no option to turn them off. The case that prompted this is really annoying: I cannot even think of a product "sugar-free" and "unsweetened" are synonyms: "sugar-free" always means "sweetened with something else" in my experience, in much the same way that "no added sugar" means "we used apple juice or dried dates instead of corn syrup or white crystals." But this isn't the first time I have seen this. Every couple months, I have a very hard time finding something because Google is helpfully including near-synonyms, and a near-synonym which differs in some crucial way from what I'm looking for dominates my results. And somehow, Google bolding those near-synonyms as if they returned what I'm looking for just makes me that much angrier.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:38 pm

If you put a word in quotation marks won't it use that exact term in the search?

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby cmsellers » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:37 pm

So it does, thank you!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:46 pm

A little while ago, I told my computer to install some updates, and went away. I got a phone call about what sounds like a really cool possible job (except for the whole “customer interaction” thing, but whatever). I got back on my computer to send the guy my updated resume, and saw that my computer had pretty much just started updating.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:40 am

My computer, despite being told not to reboot, rebooted when it updated. It ruined a perfectly good dirge of Grey's Anatomy.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext