Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby TheWomprat » Tue May 07, 2013 3:10 pm

Dottoe wrote:
TheWomprat wrote:fun
Like the band
I once punched my sister in the throat because she wouldn't change the song. I know I overreacted but she knew that they sent me into a Hulk rage.

If it makes you feel better (or worse, I dunno) they're closely associated, if not the founders of, The Ally Coalition. My sister hates them too, but they seem to be good people, so I'm happy to play their songs... That and all the references to nuclear war. Wait... are you my sister?

Not since I got the sex change.

I'm the conductor of the poop train!
TheWomprat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Typical Michael » Tue May 07, 2013 3:46 pm

JamesT wrote:People who have so little sense of personal space that they actually follow you when you step back to get out of their line of spittle-fire.

Oh jesus. "Close Talkers." Nearly every single person at my old job was like this. Take a step back, they move in. Take another step? They move in. Never got the hint.

(and I like fun. At least their early stuff. sue me.)

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby Lindvaettr » Tue May 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Incorrect meter, especially in limericks. I can't stand it. I just can't. I'll read a line over and over and over again trying to make it conform to the meter of the rest of the limerick (or whatever type of poem), until I either give up, or get it. Either way, I'm not very irritated that the person couldn't write a line using the correct meter that made sense. Argh!

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby bayonet » Tue May 07, 2013 4:56 pm

JamesT wrote:People who have so little sense of personal space that they actually follow you when you step back to get out of their line of spittle-fire.

Winner of meta-description contest by poll.

Having a point is over-rated.
bayonet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Typical Michael » Tue May 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Its awesome when there is a video in which you do not need to know the language to get the joke.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby bayonet » Tue May 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Typical Michael wrote:Its awesome when there is a video in which you do not need to know the language to get the joke.

Spit-firing jackasses is one of them home-hitting universal truths...

bayonet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby bayonet » Tue May 07, 2013 8:06 pm

bayonet wrote:
Typical Michael wrote:Its awesome when there is a video in which you do not need to know the language to get the joke.

Spit-firing jackasses is one of them home-hitting universal truths...

On a related note
http://youtu.be/Rk4x5eBuQdY?t=21s

(for some reason i cant youtube it if it starts in the middle of the video)

bayonet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby w00 » Sat May 11, 2013 8:03 pm

I could fill this site with a list of my pet peeves.

1) "Drug" as past-tense of "drag", i.e. "I drug the couch across the room."
What the fucking fuck? Drug is already a noun and a verb, not at all related to "drag". And I can understand turning an irregular past-tense into a regular one (spelt -> spelled, learnt -> learned, dreamt -> dreamed), but a regular tense (dragged) into an irregular one that ALREADY has a different meaning? WTF?!? Don't do that, people!

2) Smilies, L-O-L and other visual, conversational pollution. One of those instances of adding something to a conversation actually reduces the conversation. Ever notice that funny writers never have to point out when they, or you, should be smiling? Be like them when there's humour around, people!

3) Noises, particularily those from INSIDE the house. Thumping footsteps, asshole neighbours whose industrial grade air conditioner rattles the windows & walls like a truck idling with a hole in the muffler. WTF is wrong with those people?!?

4) Wastefulness. The act of not considering the true value of resources, often simply because they're filthy rich and can afford replacements. Or, running the lawn sprinklers during restriction times until the water puddles in my yard and flows down the gutter, picking up debris until it swirls around the storm drains like turds being flushed down the toilet. So some consideration for future generations, you over-population-producing, wasteful and inconsiderate people!

5) People that finish their peeves with call-outs to "people" - smarten up and don't be like me, people!

6) Oh yeah, like others who've posted earlier, I hate liars. Stupid, duplicitous people...

Some drink from the fountain of knowledge, while others merely gargle.
--
There are 4 boxes to use in the defence of liberty:
1) soap, 2) ballot, 3) jury, 4) ammo.
Use in that order.
w00
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Wrote the Turing test

Postby Mr Dent » Sun May 12, 2013 2:21 am

People that say "i'm 1/16th [race]". I get people saying I'm half this, half that, because you can infer their parents race (not that it's a huge concern), but once the fraction gets over maybe 1/4 you can pretty much guess the person is either a) an idiot or b) an idiot trying to get away with saying something racist.

People toting those travel bags with wheels and the handle you pull out to the office. Seriously, does your sandwich need that much care? Is that laptop/folder really that heavy? I used to work in Sydney CBD and would change trains at Central (as busy as the name implies) and the amount of lost dullards wandering around with them stuck 2 feet out behind them, reading signs, stepping one way then changing their minds.... weaving through them was like a commando course every damn morning.

People that correct others incessantly, or add on their own extra pieces of information so they can take ownership of someone else's valid point. Just let it go, dickhead. Learn to bite your tongue.

Mr Dent
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Glassjaw Girl » Sun May 12, 2013 4:35 am

Slow drivers. There is no speed limit where I'm from, so those who drive really slowly really annoy me. I know that I'm being rather inconsiderate when I say that, but that doesn't stop me from still getting annoyed.
Drivers who use the horn too much annoy the heck out of me too. Yes, two hundred feet ahead there's this dude crossing the road. No, you really do not have to pound on your horn nonstop until you pass him by. Yes, he might be wearing shades and holding a cane, but there's no sign saying he's blind. Just drive, man, just drive.

Glassjaw Girl
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Communications Commander

Postby Typical Michael » Sun May 12, 2013 7:44 am

No friggin turn signals!

Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby MuteAnt » Sun May 12, 2013 10:14 am

People who edit their posts three years later without saying what the edit was. Who the hell does that?

Last edited by MuteAnt on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May contain peanuts.
MuteAnt
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Australia » Sun May 12, 2013 10:55 am

On the complaints about 'l o l', I agree that it's annoying but I've gotten over that. It's when people say 'l o l' in an actual conversation when they're clearly lying that's a peeve. If a joke made them laugh out loud, they'd be laughing out loud. Saying l o l is not only a flat-out lie, it means they didn't even think it was good enough to give a fake courtesy laugh to, so it would have been better just to not acknowledge it at all. Or they're just stupid.

And people that make redundant tautologies.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby D-LOGAN » Sun May 12, 2013 11:47 am

Implicaton.
As in the concept of being told what you've just said implies something that you didn't mean. Like, saying one specific thing, and having someone else hear an entirely different meaning to it, then assume that's what you meant, and tell you that's what you're implying! Or worse, someone knowing it's not what you meant, but telling you, IT implies something else. Like the non-human, non-sentient words have the power to decide on having a meaning, you the person who said them, didn't give them, gah!
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against the entire concept of implication, as of course there are times when you are actively saying one thing while implying something else. And there's always irony, hyperbole, sarcasm, metaphor etc. You can give your words a meaning other than what is literally there in the words you're saying. BUT IT IS ALWAYS YOU THAT DOES THAT! No one else, anywhere, ever has the power to do that. No one can put a different meaning in YOUR words, unless they're some kind of wizard.
Again, there are exceptions, like if you've said something but haven't thought it through, or what the logical extension of your train of thought would be. In which case, someone else pointing that out would indeed be helpful. But this, being told what you're implying stuff, unless YOU have implied it yourself, it hasn't been implied, that's your decision. And it's everywhere. And. It. Drives. Me. Mad.
Obviously it's all over the internet, with people telling you what you've just said really means, even though you didn't mean that. But I see it all the time in real life. Friends, family, co-workers. I honestly think I'm in the minority over this. And my housemate is a divil for it. Like a standard example with him and me would be:
Me: That a new jumper?
Him: Yeah .... why what's wrong it?
Me: Nothing, I was just asking.
Him: Why does it look stupid or something?
Me: No, there is no reason behind what I said, other than the actual word's meaning themselves!
Him: Then why did you bring it up?
Me: I was just making casual conversation, I don't even care. I just hadn't noticed that one before.
Him: Why is it important?
Me: It isn't, I don't care about it all, whether you've been wearing that jumper since the day you were born, or if it just miraculously appeared on you five seconds ago, neither makes a jot of difference to me, I just on a momentary impulse thought I hadn't seen it before and in a moment I now regret commented on it. I have no deeper motive here. If I had, I assure you I would say it!
Him: Well your jumper isn't that nice either!
Me: I NEVER SAID IT WAS!
Him: Jeeze relax.
Me: NO YOU RELAX, AND TELL YOUR STUPID F@*#ING JUMPER TO RELAX TOO!
Him: Ah, so you don't like the jumper?
Me: Well now I don't, which you can tell by the fact, THAT I'M ACTUALLY SAYING IT! That's how human communication works! Gah.

One of us will not make it out of that house alive.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby JeremyNicholas » Sun May 12, 2013 12:46 pm

When the internet bleeds into real life interaction. Be it through slang, or... well mostly through slang.
Or hearing memes referenced out loud. It makes me cringe. It makes me embarrassed. Oh god, it's just awful.

When conversations turn into "waiting for my turn to talk". That is to say, when a person is not even remotely interested in the other end of a conversation, and thinks that only their contribution is worthwhile.

Sentences with no... flow. Even grammatically consistent sentences. It's a bit hard to explain, but I know it when I see it. And it kills me.

People rallying around things that they either don't like, don't have an opinion on, or have never even heard of, just because the general consensus is "We like that thing".

That the current trend toward ironic detachment and self awareness is killing genuine expression.

Ratchet as an adjective.

This is all too much trouble.
JeremyNicholas
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

PreviousNext