Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:37 pm

iMURDAu wrote:I'm not saying that you were being flirted with but lack of prior knowledge about you isn't a reason why someone wouldn't flirt with you.

Well, I'm still pretty sure she wasn't flirting with me because I'm awkward and unattractive.

iMURDAu wrote: you're not going to be able to change how people use the term

Well, not with that attitude. But social reform has to start somewhere.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:20 am

Well, I'm still pretty sure she wasn't flirting with me because I'm awkward and unattractive.

I could have said the same thing!

he said while making that bit of text get very large and shake like an earthquake hoping to get the point across. :)

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:11 pm

I'm completely confused now. You were trying to say that I'm awkward and unattractive? Why?

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:39 pm

No no, I think Murda meant that he was also unattractive and awkward at your age, but Mrs Murda still approached him and even felt he was a keeper so don't rule out your love life just on that basis :) {{{Aquila}}}

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:36 pm

For the second time in a week I had the perfect post written only to have my wonderful computer delete everything by magically highlighting the entire post when I try to insert a space, without touching the touchpad or using more than one key at a time. Up key twice, space bar, post gone. I know holding shift highlights but uh I only went up two lines and don't believe I've developed a habit of holding shift after all these years. Lovely stuff I tell ya. There is zero percent I'm recycling this computer. I don't want it's uselessness to infect any future product. Sorry Earth, you're eating this plastic/glass sandwich lookin' thing.

@Aquila:

Okay, Ladki was right. You're not hideous, at least not as of 2011. That's me shaming you for not posting any recent pics. Don't sell yourself short by having a negative self image.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:29 pm

Well, I do have a negative self-image. I think my misunderstanding of you just goes to show how much my mind resists the idea that anyone could be attracted to me.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:32 pm

Stop it!

Sorry, that's all I've got right now.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:54 pm

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:10 pm

I used to edit Wikipedia. I stopped for a number of reasons, but one of the major ones is that the culture was moving in a direction that I didn't like. I noticed several biases among Wikipedia editors that I found really annoying, and I still run across them when browsing Wikipedia. But there's one in particular I want to talk about: despite Wikipedia's extensive articles on Pokemon, the community's anti-pop-culture bias seems to be as strong as ever.

I typed "Frozen" into Wikipedia to look up the Disney movie. I expected either to get their directly, or for it to be at the top of the disambiguation page. However the disambiguation page only has the act of freezing as a suggestion of primary topics; you have to scroll down the disambiguation page and find it chronologically in the list of movies of the same title. So I figured "surely this is an ongoing dispute and someone is trolling," but the only talk on the page redirects to a move request.

The move request points out that the Disney movie is 2.5 times more visited than all of the other pages with the name combined, and 4 times more visited than all other pages with the name not connected in some way to the movie. And yet, all of the responses oppose the move, claiming it's completely ridiculous and two people calling for an immediate close.

Seriously, it really annoys me how many Wikipedians are willing to make the website more of a pain to use either because of their own biases or as a result of overcorrecting for them.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:11 am

You know what really gets my goat? People whose goats are too easily gotten. I mean, find something positive people! I have and I'm nuts. Which really lets me get away with some crazy shit let me tell you. By the way, my shit is crazy too.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:16 am

I wanted to surround my goat's pasture with landmines. It's not my fault the danged liberal fascists stopped me, calling it a war crime, and then some bad hombres kidnapped my kid.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:24 pm

You can't mention a factual thing on the internet without people jumping all over it and stomping it to death with their opinion.

Case in point: someone makes a comment in a Captain Marvel review about Samuel L. Jackson's de-aging and how good it looked in the trailer but Kurt Russell was done better in GotG 2. Someone else mentions something about the cost of the technology. I then say that maybe it's cheaper than it was when Iron Man 3 got made because I think I read something about the cost of de-aging Robert Downey Jr but then again this is Disney and they put Grand Moff Tarkin in a movie a couple years ago.

That was the cue for multiple people to inform me of how terrible and awful "Peter Cushing" looked in Rogue One and that he was barely in the movie at all.

Okay. I never said it looked good just that it was a thing that exists. But go ahead internet, drown me in your opinion before I plan on thinking about seeing if I have time somewhere to give a little shit if you even have one.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:18 am

Companies that make you manually enter all your information, including employment history, into their super-special application system, without even trying to auto-fill from LinkedIn (less ideal, but more common) or a resume upload (better, much less common; because most companies that let you upload resumes can fucking handle resumes as they are).

The State of Texas does this for government jobs, and the interface is so awful it took an hour and a half the first time I applied, but at least the state saves my resume, so I need only minor tweaks between applications. I've also applied to a couple jobs that made me do this with large tech companies, but those were good jobs, and they had large fields so I could copy-paste whole chunks from my resume, instead of one line for years worked, one line for job title, one line for supervisor phone number, and so on.

But I'm not going to take half an hour to tediously enter all the information on my resume into your super-special personalized form for a job that pays less than I made in grad school and which I have an approximately 0% chance of hearing back from anyways. No, fuck you! Go fuck yourselves you fucking goddamn assholes!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:22 pm

I agree! Fuckers! I had a wacky abnormal education (my English parents worked for the EU in Brussels and I went to an international school for people in that exact situation; there are literally about ten schools in the world that do the education I did so it's never available in any dropdown menu on those sites) and so not only do these fancy job portals take two hours to enter all your information into, but they don't even give me the opportunity to enter my information correctly. "What A-levels do you have?" I don't have any; those are for English schools. I can put my final Baccalaureate mark if you like. "Oops! It looks like you've only entered one A-level! Enter all the others!" But most people do three or four A-levels; I would have to enter 12 different subjects. "Don't worry! We'll wait!" So then I sit there for hours, politely letting my local hospital know that I got 6.5 out of 10 in gym and 8 out of 10 in religion in 2005.

But of course, these job portals actually save you time in the long run! That's what they keep telling you! Because once your details are registered, you can just resubmit them for multiple jobs! So I might not get hired for first-line IT support, but at least I can also apply to be Regional Director of Cancer Research, Head of Sales, and dinner lady, and only upload my information once. Thanks, you idiots! That's so useful!

And no; I've never heard back from any of these jobs either. I assumed that was just because I'm terrible at applying for jobs, but maybe my application was fine and they just hired someone with a PhD in microbiology to reset people's passwords instead.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:26 pm

I hear you. In one application, there was no option to indicate degree noncompletion, even though two of the colleges I've attended I didn't get a degree and one I wasn't even in a program. In another application, this one for state government, I affirmed under penalty of perjury that Turkey and Korea are both in Texas. There was no way to leave the "state" field blank, and since it defaulted to Texas, I left it that way.

When applying for jobs in Turkey, I a couple of times had similar issues as related to Turkish mandatory military service. As a foreigner, I wasn't required to serve in the Turkish military, but I also wasn't technically "exempt," for which you needed some sort of code I didn't have.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext