Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby cmsellers » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:20 am

DoglovingJim wrote:Natural herbivore or carnivore aside, I'd rather die eating bacon every day than live forever eating lettuce.

Like the doctor who insisted humans had to be herbivores or carnivores and proved we are not carnivores, you are presenting a false dichotomy. I am trying to figure out how to improve my diet while still eating foods I enjoy, which includes bacon at times. But there are times where I have eaten bacon every day; frankly, when bacon is your baseline, bacon becomes boring. A major key to both eating well and enjoying eating well is variety.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:16 pm

cmsellers wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:Natural herbivore or carnivore aside, I'd rather die eating bacon every day than live forever eating lettuce.

Like the doctor who insisted humans had to be herbivores or carnivores and proved we are not carnivores, you are presenting a false dichotomy. I am trying to figure out how to improve my diet while still eating foods I enjoy, which includes bacon at times. But there are times where I have eaten bacon every day; frankly, when bacon is your baseline, bacon becomes boring. A major key to both eating well and enjoying eating well is variety.

Well of course, no arguments there that variety is the best. Like bacon, pork chops, roast lamb and chicken with potatoes (or not). Damn I forgot to mention grilled salmon and steak. Variety is key to a happy life.

But if given the choice between immortality and only consuming lettuce I'd rather eat bacon as a mortal, even bugs-bunny at least switched to carrots.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby cmsellers » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:58 am

Real name policies. There are plenty of reasons for me not to want to use my real name, even in a liberal democracy. For users in a place like Turkey, they are downright dangerous. Fuck any site that has such a policy.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:41 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby JamishT » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:14 am

ghijkmnop wrote:TV Series that glorify criminal behavior. Yes. ALL of them.

I understand what you mean, and I've stopped watching some shows over that.

However, I just blasted through all of Ozark season 2 in about 24 hours, and there are no non-criminal/good characters in that show. So the viewer is rooting for criminals, but there are no other viable options, besides the actually decent law enforcement officers who appear briefly. It's a well written, engaging show, and I think the evil v. evil structure makes it more interesting.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:47 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:TV Series that glorify criminal behavior. Yes. ALL of them.

What's your definition of "glorify"?

In my opinion there's The Wire which is very dark and has a lot of criminal behavior by common folk on up to the spoiler alert powers that be. I wouldn't say any of it is glorified though as spoiler alert there are not many happy outcomes that occur in the show or real life when criminal behavior is pervasive.

Or how about Attack on Titan where spoiler alert there's crimes against society having been committed but the people doing it are motivated by the survival of the human species? Spoiler alert the new season is too new to discuss in detail here but it's got some government takeover stuff happening which is naturally criminal under the regime that wishes to remain in power.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby ghijkmnop » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:22 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:32 pm

Ok, I get you.

I've only seen Oz out of those listed. But I know what kind of show you're talking about.

I used to remind my friends when we were younger, Tony Montana (Scarface, 1983) died in a hail of gunfire and only accomplished the first two parts of that "first you get the money, then the power, then the women", line.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:39 am

I've always wanted to die in a hail of bullets. It just sounds so exciting and eventful.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:23 am

I've only seen the first four and none of those glorify criminal behaviour. I didn't like Sons of Anarchy because none of the characters were likeable or understandable so I can see not liking shows where criminal behaviour is a major theme but all of the people that do terrible things in those shows have terrible things happen to them in turn and they're rarely content. I'd say it would only be glorifying if it made people want to do it and, well, everyone in Oz is literally in a prison so yeah. But it's your pet peeve so by all means, don't like shows you don't like.

And hey guys, I'm in Italy. Only here for two days (would be three but convoluted travel problems nobody cares about) so I'm not changing usernames. No matter how much that might peeve you off.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby cmsellers » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Another literal pet peeve of mine (I am accumulating quite a list of these): people who treat animals, especially adult animals, as if they were human children. Especially when they talk about them as children. In the parrot community you have a lot of people who talk about having "fids" (feathered kids) and being a "parront." Mammals owners don't seem to have similar puns, but I do hear people talk about being "mother" or "father" to "fur babies."

Now to be clear, I baby talk at my animals because it is an instinctive reaction we have to cute things. But animals are animals; they have their own behavior distinct from infant or adult humans and that is a big part of what makes them neat to me. If you have an animal because you want a baby that needs less work, maybe get a furby instead.

And on a related note: people who insist that having animals are like having kids are fortunately less common than "fur mommas" and "parronts," but are even more obnoxious.

You're not supposed to leave a baby in a cage for a week or two while you travel. And you're not supposed to take your pet with you everywhere you go. Having a baby and having a pet are two very different things.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:03 pm

So... I'm SUPPOSED to take my baby to the whorehouse with me?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:32 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:05 pm

I have a rant on here about that too, however a lot of people who treat pets like babies treat them pretty poorly too, doing things like putting them in diapers and taking them into stressful situations. Hence my comment about getting a furby instead. You can do whatever you want to a furby and it wouln't harm any living creature. Well, not unless you turn it into an IED.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:37 pm

cmsellers wrote:You can do whatever you want to a furby and it wouln't harm any living creature.

You've clearly never shared living space with a furby. Putting one in a cell with a prisoner would be classed as cruel and unusual punishment.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

PreviousNext