Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:49 pm

When people take facebook posts as the gospel chiseled in marble by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

The state highway patrol isn't going to be doing sobriety checkpoints on the interstate just because there's a holiday weekend. When has that ever happened? Checking literally every vehicle that travels on the highway? Prison escapes around here don't get that treatment. And they certainly aren't going to be drawing blood at these checkpoints. May as well cap off the crazy by saying they're harvesting DNA.

Things are going to be really screwed once facebook timelines become the standard historical record of humankind. Thankfully that means I'll only have existed via the rare picture someone else posts of me.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:00 pm

When someone is so familiar with you that they think it's okay to play the pronoun game since you're supposed to just know who they're talking about. I don't know who "she" is this time, is it the same "she" from the last story?

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:54 pm

Native English speakers inexplicably pronouncing the Korean leader's name as if it's Latin. Kim iong un.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby JamishT » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:50 am

Artists of various sorts whose stage name is simply (and obviously) their first and middle name. Lookin' at you, Lea Michelle and uhhhhhhh, other people like that who I can't remember right now.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:50 pm

I'd love to buy the SNES Classic and be able to play StarFox 2 during my lifetime. But yet again, Nintendo doesn't want my money. Or yours. I can buy a Switch though. I can find that in a store from time to time. But the thing that costs very little to produce, that has one entirely new game on it that was already 80% complete 22 years ago, nah can't make 10 million of those when 12 million people want one. So just make a few hundred thousand. Because fuck making sales when hype is what actually drives your profits. And yet again the media will pretend to be sore that people can't buy one while playing theirs instead of properly shitting all over Nintendo like they need to.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Tuli » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:33 am

People who don't put their weights away in the gym. Yesterday I caught one of those in action. As he was about to walk away abandoning 3 barbells on the ground, I called out and asked if he's finished with those. He said yes, then begrudgingly walked back and put the barbells on the rack. So he does know he's supposed to put them away! But later I went to the other room in the gym and found several machines still fucking loaded with plates. Guess who'd been in there before me? Surprise! Unfortunately the asshole and his friends were already gone by the time I went there, so I couldn't motivate them to do the right thing with my public disapproval again. I find it ridiculous that grown men need to be told to put their shit away.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby LunarTeaHouse » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:09 am

When someone opens a new something even though the old something hasn't been completely used up.

The worst. :evil:

This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.
LunarTeaHouse
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:24 pm

LunarTeaHouse wrote:When someone opens a new something even though the old something hasn't been completely used up.

But then how do you change toothpaste tubes. THE OLD ONE WILL NEVER COMPLETELY BE USED UP. I ONCE HAD A TUBE THAT STILL WORKED AFTER BEING ROLLED UP TO A CENTIMETER.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:23 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:
LunarTeaHouse wrote:When someone opens a new something even though the old something hasn't been completely used up.

But then how do you change toothpaste tubes. THE OLD ONE WILL NEVER COMPLETELY BE USED UP. I ONCE HAD A TUBE THAT STILL WORKED AFTER BEING ROLLED UP TO A CENTIMETER.

Did you cut it open and scrape the inside?

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:00 pm

I do that all the time.
It's one of my mother's pet peeves as well.

The reason I do it is because I don't want to open and wash something at the same time. So I open a new one and then finish up and wash the old one later.

Yes, I am that lazy.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Alright, huddle up everybody we're having a meeting. This is universal and needs to be broadcast in every language.

When the elevator doors open up you have to allow people to exit the elevator. They're getting off on this floor. You're getting on. If they can't get out then you might not be able to get in. Try filling a bag with shit. Now try to cram more shit in it before removing any shit. Notice how that doesn't work. If you're in so much of a hurry that you can't let people exit the elevator, try using the stairs. Don't go too far, we're having a meeting about how to walk up and down the steps next. I promise we're trying to get humanity on track to graduate Kindergarten, eventually, but we all need to be on the same page.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:07 pm

cmsellers wrote:

I do that all the time.
It's one of my mother's pet peeves as well.

The reason I do it is because I don't want to open and wash something at the same time. So I open a new one and then finish up and wash the old one later.

Yes, I am that lazy.

Can't you just leave the empty container in the sink until later?

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:03 pm

When a formerly independent blog gets subsumed behind a media organization's paywall. It's only happened to me twice, and in both cases it was easy enough to get around on non-mobile devices, but it annoys the fuck out of me.

First time it happened was FiveThirtyEight, which I've been reading almost since its launch and which joined the New York Times just after the paywall went up. So I would use my ten free articles on FiveThirtyEight articles, then clear my cookies and do it again, until Nate moved to ESPN and turned it into a full-fledged site.

Second time it happened was with Tetrapod Zoology, which I read irregularly since it was part of Science Blogs and which is currently part of Scientific American. Scientific American has had a paywall around magazine content since at least 2014, but this week I noticed that I can no longer read Tet Zoo on my mobile device, suggesting they've extended it to the rest of their site.

Now, I get the logic that the editors of these organizations use here. "We try to have a varied range of wonderful content on our website, and the paywall ensures that the authors of the blog you like reading get paid."

But from my perspective: "Aside from this blog, nothing on your site is so appealing I can't get it for free elsewhere. I'm not going to be strong-armed into buying a subscription to read one blog. If you didn't make your paywall so easy to circumvent, I'd just stop reading it entirely."

Now, if I had an income and mainstream media sites offered a tip jar, I'd be/have been happy to tip the author the amount that these sites charge for a subscription (or more, digital media subscriptions are often under five bucks) and the site could take a cut. But for some reason, mainstream media sites are reluctant to do that. Even Cracked has refused to do that despite many, many people suggesting it as a way for people to reward good writing and punish clickbait.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:44 am

Here's another one: websites that don't list an email address, but require you to fill out a fucking form. Yes spam is annoying, but there are ways around letting bots scrape your address. The forms are annoying even when you want to send a short text message. When you need to forward an email or an attachment...

In the most recent case, they told me that my book request was already in the system and if I had any questions I could contact the reference librarian. And of course I have to copy-paste the email into my message. And they have a place where I can upload a screenshot of the email on the form, which is a waste compared to copy-pasting or better still fucking forwarding. I mean, how hard would it be to include a link to the reference librarian's email in these things, avoiding the spam issue entirely?

You're breaking the functionality of email on purpose when you do this. Fuck you.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Fax machine use in 2017 for tasks that could be completed with email.

10 days ago I faxed in a request for something at work. Got my confirmation paper that claims it was sent. Still haven't gotten what was requested. Usually we get this stuff on the next truck. We get trucks 3x a week. Not sure if the fax was received. Can't just find that out without emailing.

I'm thinking someone sold my company on the idea of fax machines with their dedicated phone lines being a boon to the business and they're committed to the tech as a result. But at store level we're all crossing our fingers that faxes get received and we send emails to follow up on the faxes instead of just emailing in the first place because emailing isn't the proper way to do things. They need hard copies and god forbid you use a printer to print an email. That's not official enough.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

PreviousNext